phone recommendation?

Last response: in Network Providers
November 20, 2004 10:45:18 PM

Hi,

I'm planning on starting in on a Cingular plan (family nation-wide)
and need to choose a phone - can anyone recommend a good one? I'm
partial to the flip-phones, and am more interested in phones with a
good signal than special features (no need to download games or even
take pictures, etc...)

Thanks for any help!

sally

More about : phone recommendation

Anonymous
November 21, 2004 2:03:43 AM

"Sally P." <ro222000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm planning on starting in on a Cingular plan (family nation-wide)
> and need to choose a phone - can anyone recommend a good one? I'm
> partial to the flip-phones, and am more interested in phones with a
> good signal than special features (no need to download games or even
> take pictures, etc...)
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> sally

You are out of luck then. None of the current flip phones offered by
Cingular are worth a damn. Some have been recalled already, in fact.
Others are off brands or have tons of features that you don't need or want
to pay for. Other than the flip phone thing, the Nokia 3120 (free after $30
rebate) would be perfect for you. As far as good signal, there is not
another phone available at any price that will beat the 3120. (but it's not
a flip phone) If you really REALLY want a flip phone with good signal
(almost as good as a Nokia, in fact), search ebay for a new Cingular branded
Motorola T720 GSM, if you can find one. Cingular doesn't carry this
currently, but it would be perfect for you, and Cingular will gladly sell
you a Sim for it (five bucks or so). -Dave
November 21, 2004 8:02:27 AM

Even though I am not interested in taking pictures, I bought the Motorola
V400. It is an excellent phone. Probably the best phone I have ever used,
and I have used many, many, many.

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "Sally P." <ro222000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm planning on starting in on a Cingular plan (family nation-wide)
> > and need to choose a phone - can anyone recommend a good one? I'm
> > partial to the flip-phones, and am more interested in phones with a
> > good signal than special features (no need to download games or even
> > take pictures, etc...)
> >
> > Thanks for any help!
> >
> > sally
>
> You are out of luck then. None of the current flip phones offered by
> Cingular are worth a damn. Some have been recalled already, in fact.
> Others are off brands or have tons of features that you don't need or want
> to pay for. Other than the flip phone thing, the Nokia 3120 (free after
$30
> rebate) would be perfect for you. As far as good signal, there is not
> another phone available at any price that will beat the 3120. (but it's
not
> a flip phone) If you really REALLY want a flip phone with good signal
> (almost as good as a Nokia, in fact), search ebay for a new Cingular
branded
> Motorola T720 GSM, if you can find one. Cingular doesn't carry this
> currently, but it would be perfect for you, and Cingular will gladly sell
> you a Sim for it (five bucks or so). -Dave

November 21, 2004 1:38:53 PM

In <1434844e.0411201945.228c80a6@posting.google.com> on 20 Nov 2004 19:45:18
-0800, ro222000@yahoo.com (Sally P.) wrote:

>I'm planning on starting in on a Cingular plan (family nation-wide)
>and need to choose a phone - can anyone recommend a good one? I'm
>partial to the flip-phones, and am more interested in phones with a
>good signal than special features (no need to download games or even
>take pictures, etc...)

Motorola V400.

November 21, 2004 3:54:54 PM

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message news:<30aicvF2uht6lU1@uni-berlin.de>...

> Other than the flip phone thing, the Nokia 3120 (free after $30
> rebate) would be perfect for you. As far as good signal, there is not
> another phone available at any price that will beat the 3120. (but it's not
> a flip phone) -Dave

I can live without the flip phone. I'm probably going to order the
phones (one for me and one for my husband) in early Dec, so that I can
try out reception while visiting family in PA and on Cape Cod over the
holidays (and still have time to return the thing w/in 30 days...) I
heard that the 3120 is in the process of being discontinued though.
Are Nokia phones in general pretty good? I'm wondering if the 3120 is
still going to be around next month, or if I'll be looking at its
replacement...

Thanks again to all for the advice. - Sally
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 7:31:43 PM

> I can live without the flip phone. I'm probably going to order the
> phones (one for me and one for my husband) in early Dec, so that I can
> try out reception while visiting family in PA and on Cape Cod over the
> holidays (and still have time to return the thing w/in 30 days...) I
> heard that the 3120 is in the process of being discontinued though.
> Are Nokia phones in general pretty good? I'm wondering if the 3120 is
> still going to be around next month, or if I'll be looking at its
> replacement...
>
> Thanks again to all for the advice. - Sally

Careful . . . when I signed with Cingular, the tryout period was much
shorter than 30 days. I don't remember the exact details, but I believe it
was 14 days or 60 minutes of use. Note that there was a USAGE restriction
on the trial period. So even if they give you say, 14 days, you might still
be locked into the contract if you go over the number of minutes.

Good luck on Cape Cod. I've tried several carriers including USCellular,
ATT, Nextel, Verizon and Cingular. They all have poor coverage (that's
being kind) on Cape Cod. Generally, Nextel's coverage is horrible
regardless of where you are. But ironically, I've had the best luck with
Nextel and Cingular on Cape Cod. Which is to say, that I have been able to
successfully place a FEW calls from Cape Cod on Nextel and Cingular (GSM)
handsets.

If you can live without the flip phone, then the 3120 is perfect . . . you
will LOVE it. I haven't heard that the 3120 is being discontinued. But if
so, the Nokia 6010 is almost identical. -Dave
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 12:33:18 AM

"Sally P." <ro222000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm planning on starting in on a Cingular plan (family nation-wide)
> and need to choose a phone - can anyone recommend a good one? I'm
> partial to the flip-phones, and am more interested in phones with a
> good signal than special features (no need to download games or even
> take pictures, etc...)
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> sally

Samsung X427M, a good basic flip phone with good loud audio both ways and
good RF.

bamp
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 1:08:47 AM

In article <30cfpvF2s45d4U1@uni-berlin.de>, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net>
wrote:

> > I can live without the flip phone. I'm probably going to order the
> > phones (one for me and one for my husband) in early Dec, so that I can
> > try out reception while visiting family in PA and on Cape Cod over the
> > holidays (and still have time to return the thing w/in 30 days...) I
> > heard that the 3120 is in the process of being discontinued though.
> > Are Nokia phones in general pretty good? I'm wondering if the 3120 is
> > still going to be around next month, or if I'll be looking at its
> > replacement...
> >
> > Thanks again to all for the advice. - Sally
>
> Careful . . . when I signed with Cingular, the tryout period was much
> shorter than 30 days. I don't remember the exact details, but I believe it
> was 14 days or 60 minutes of use. Note that there was a USAGE restriction
> on the trial period. So even if they give you say, 14 days, you might still
> be locked into the contract if you go over the number of minutes.

The 30 days is to exchange phones, and then only ONCE.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 1:08:48 AM

>> Careful . . . when I signed with Cingular, the tryout period was much
>> shorter than 30 days. I don't remember the exact details, but I believe
>> it
>> was 14 days or 60 minutes of use. Note that there was a USAGE
>> restriction
>> on the trial period. So even if they give you say, 14 days, you might
>> still
>> be locked into the contract if you go over the number of minutes.
>
> The 30 days is to exchange phones, and then only ONCE.

Well that's not very consumer friendly. The phone is only as good as the
network that it is on. If anything, there should be a longer trial period
for the network than for the phone. -Dave
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 3:51:08 AM

In article <30co3bF2rk5qmU1@uni-berlin.de>, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net>
wrote:

> Well that's not very consumer friendly. The phone is only as good as the
> network that it is on. If anything, there should be a longer trial period
> for the network than for the phone. -Dave

If they wanted to be "friendly" you'd have proper maps showing coverage,
and not these squintavision maps with 1" = 300 miles.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 3:51:09 AM

> If they wanted to be "friendly" you'd have proper maps showing coverage,
> and not these squintavision maps with 1" = 300 miles.

I don't know about that. A cellular blind spot can be as small as 400 SF.
You really want to see a map of cellular coverage at 1:1 scale? :)  -Dave
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 5:37:08 AM

In article <30cv48F2uvrrlU1@uni-berlin.de>, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net>
wrote:

> > If they wanted to be "friendly" you'd have proper maps showing coverage,
> > and not these squintavision maps with 1" = 300 miles.
>
> I don't know about that. A cellular blind spot can be as small as 400 SF.
> You really want to see a map of cellular coverage at 1:1 scale? :)  -Dave

I'd like to see one at far better scale than 1" = 300 miles so that no
dead zone shows up.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/technology/1965297/detail.ht...
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 5:37:09 AM

>> I don't know about that. A cellular blind spot can be as small as 400
>> SF.
>> You really want to see a map of cellular coverage at 1:1 scale?
>> :)  -Dave
>
> I'd like to see one at far better scale than 1" = 300 miles so that no
> dead zone shows up.
>
> http://www.nbcsandiego.com/technology/1965297/detail.ht...

That's really not possible. Radio signals are basically line of sight.
Well, they bounce off the atmosphere, also*, but still can't reach areas out
of sight, unless reflecting off something in sight. An accurate map of all
blind spots would look very suspiciously like a topographical map of
whatever region it shows. If it was truly accurate, it would also be a HUGE
scale. Like I said before, about 1:1 scale. :)

I know it might seem like the coverage maps are deliberately misleading, but
an accurate map would be even worse. And do you really want to pay for an
accurate map, considering it would cost BILLIONS to compile it, and billions
more each year to update it? I sure don't.

I think the coverage maps are kind of moot anyway. You look at them to
determine if a particular cellular service at least TRIES to provide
coverage in a certain area, before signing up for service. After you sign
up, then you find the blind spots yourself. If there aren't too many blind
spots where you need to use the phone, then you've found a good service for
yourself. So what's the map for anyway? -Dave

* That's how sometimes radio signals can travel halfway around the world .
.. . the signal gets stuck between layers of atmosphere and keeps bouncing
around up there until it finds an opening over another continent.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 12:19:25 PM

In article <30d2dbF2v5k7gU1@uni-berlin.de>, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net>
wrote:

> >> I don't know about that. A cellular blind spot can be as small as 400
> >> SF.
> >> You really want to see a map of cellular coverage at 1:1 scale?
> >> :)  -Dave
> >
> > I'd like to see one at far better scale than 1" = 300 miles so that no
> > dead zone shows up.
> >
> > http://www.nbcsandiego.com/technology/1965297/detail.ht...
>
> That's really not possible. Radio signals are basically line of sight.
> Well, they bounce off the atmosphere, also*, but still can't reach areas out
> of sight, unless reflecting off something in sight. An accurate map of all
> blind spots would look very suspiciously like a topographical map of
> whatever region it shows. If it was truly accurate, it would also be a HUGE
> scale. Like I said before, about 1:1 scale. :)

NONSENSE. There's a new invention that allows more detailed maps. It's
called a computer. You dont have to be 1 to 1 to do far better than 1" =
300 miles.

And in spite of your pretending its impossible, better maps may be on
the way:

<http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/10/12/1097406538...;
November 22, 2004 2:04:04 PM

I am in 100% agreement with this. The V400 is an excellent phone choice.

"DonR" <drennard@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:D jVnd.6637$Qh3.5972@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> Even though I am not interested in taking pictures, I bought the Motorola
> V400. It is an excellent phone. Probably the best phone I have ever used,
> and I have used many, many, many.
>
> "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Sally P." <ro222000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm planning on starting in on a Cingular plan (family nation-wide)
>> > and need to choose a phone - can anyone recommend a good one? I'm
>> > partial to the flip-phones, and am more interested in phones with a
>> > good signal than special features (no need to download games or even
>> > take pictures, etc...)
>> >
>> > Thanks for any help!
>> >
>> > sally
>>
>> You are out of luck then. None of the current flip phones offered by
>> Cingular are worth a damn. Some have been recalled already, in fact.
>> Others are off brands or have tons of features that you don't need or
>> want
>> to pay for. Other than the flip phone thing, the Nokia 3120 (free after
> $30
>> rebate) would be perfect for you. As far as good signal, there is not
>> another phone available at any price that will beat the 3120. (but it's
> not
>> a flip phone) If you really REALLY want a flip phone with good signal
>> (almost as good as a Nokia, in fact), search ebay for a new Cingular
> branded
>> Motorola T720 GSM, if you can find one. Cingular doesn't carry this
>> currently, but it would be perfect for you, and Cingular will gladly sell
>> you a Sim for it (five bucks or so). -Dave

Anonymous
November 23, 2004 6:37:23 AM

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 20:53:11 -0500, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> said in
alt.cellular.cingular:

>I don't know about that. A cellular blind spot can be as small as 400 SF.

There's one near here that's a LOT smaller than that. It's a doorway,
in fact. Good signal unless the antenna is completely within the
doorway.

And at the local Sears, you lose Verizon in the back of the drapery
department - about 80 sq. ft.
November 23, 2004 8:11:36 PM

The Nokia 3120 stinks if you get one from the batch at Cingular Tele Sales.
I received 2 of these within a one week period and you could barely hear in
the earpiece! There was a noise that sounded like air plus hissing.

I was a die hard Nokia fan but switched to the Motorola V551 ... which I can
at least hear on.

--
___________________
Ann
> "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message
>
>> Other than the flip phone thing, the Nokia 3120 (free after $30
>> rebate) would be perfect for you. As far as good signal, there is not
>> another phone available at any price that will beat the 3120. (but it's
>> not
>> a flip phone) -Dave
>
> I can live without the flip phone. I'm probably going to order the
> phones (one for me and one for my husband) in early Dec, so that I can
> try out reception while visiting family in PA and on Cape Cod over the
> holidays (and still have time to return the thing w/in 30 days...) I
> heard that the 3120 is in the process of being discontinued though.
> Are Nokia phones in general pretty good? I'm wondering if the 3120 is
> still going to be around next month, or if I'll be looking at its
> replacement...
>
> Thanks again to all for the advice. - Sally
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 5:05:34 AM

I also was a diehard Nokia fan until I got my Motorola v551. There is
nothing about it that is inferior to my Nokia 6200 which I loved.
I get as good coverage, sound is better, the LCD is bigger the only drawback
is I had to get used to using the Motorola and it's menu's... After 3 days
it is easy to navigate as the Nokia.

Plus I can take pictures and movies too, plus bluetooth. I use the bluetooth
but don't need the pictures, as I have a nice 5.1 megapixel sony camera.

On 11/23/04 12:11 PM, in article
41a3b50d$0$5219$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net, "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com>
wrote:

> The Nokia 3120 stinks if you get one from the batch at Cingular Tele Sales.
> I received 2 of these within a one week period and you could barely hear in
> the earpiece! There was a noise that sounded like air plus hissing.
>
> I was a die hard Nokia fan but switched to the Motorola V551 ... which I can
> at least hear on.
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 11:09:19 AM

I think the Motorola V551 is a very good phone with some very good features,
just not as good overall >> for my particular needs << as (say) the Sony
Ericsson Z600, including some significant flaws; e.g.,

* Less capable phonebook (Show Only Primary Numbers is still not as good as
multiple entries per name)
* Side keys that are too easy to press accidentally (too often turning off the
ringer when I put the phone in my leather holster)
* Text that's too small for my eyes (even with a different skin)
* Lack of persistent missed call and voicemail notifications
* Mediocre power management (fast battery rundown with a Bluetooth EDGE
connection)
* EDGE not as fast as it could be
* Complex, unintuitive menu and navigation system
* Pitiful selection of preloaded ringtones and graphics, and no games
(available at extra cost from Cingular)
* Somewhat cheap feel
* PhoneTools not included (extra cost)

Nonetheless, it's a close call -- the V551 beats the Z600 in other areas.
If I didn't already have the Z600, I might well have kept the V551 -- I think
it's the best phone currently offered by Cingular.

Note: These are my own personal opinions. Others may well disagree. :)

In <BDCA61A1.1AD7%macclanahan@emeraldisle.com> on Thu, 25 Nov 2004 02:05:34
GMT, MacClanahan <macclanahan@emeraldisle.com> wrote:

>I also was a diehard Nokia fan until I got my Motorola v551. There is
>nothing about it that is inferior to my Nokia 6200 which I loved.
>I get as good coverage, sound is better, the LCD is bigger the only drawback
>is I had to get used to using the Motorola and it's menu's... After 3 days
>it is easy to navigate as the Nokia.
>
>Plus I can take pictures and movies too, plus bluetooth. I use the bluetooth
>but don't need the pictures, as I have a nice 5.1 megapixel sony camera.
>
>On 11/23/04 12:11 PM, in article
>41a3b50d$0$5219$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net, "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com>
>wrote:
>
>> The Nokia 3120 stinks if you get one from the batch at Cingular Tele Sales.
>> I received 2 of these within a one week period and you could barely hear in
>> the earpiece! There was a noise that sounded like air plus hissing.
>>
>> I was a die hard Nokia fan but switched to the Motorola V551 ... which I can
>> at least hear on.

November 25, 2004 10:48:46 PM

Sally P. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm planning on starting in on a Cingular plan (family nation-wide)
> and need to choose a phone - can anyone recommend a good one? I'm
> partial to the flip-phones, and am more interested in phones with a
> good signal than special features (no need to download games or even
> take pictures, etc...)
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> sally

The Motorola V400 works great for us. Really didn't need the camera but
it's fun to play with. Good features, easy to use.

Jim
!