Windows XP Beta - Is sharing turned on yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi all,

I was wondering if one of you could take a quick moment to answer my question. The latest BETA of XP...is sharing (files, printers etc) finally turned on? Also -> where can I obtain the latest Beta? THANK YOU!

carlbeck

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I received my copy of RC1 two days ago and after some deliberation decided to put it on my main computer. The first thing I discovered was you couldn't run setup from DOS. It seems to require that you run it from windows. It does give an option for the type of install but upgrade was recomended. My Win Me has been very unstable and was reluctant to to so: but I did. My second machine running Windos 98 was able to print via trhe HP 970 attached to the XP machine. I have transfered files simply by draging abd dropping. It seems to be very stable.

stonerboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I downloaded RC2 today and installed it from the command prompt. To do this you have to go into the i386 folder and run winnt.exe. This will let you use the Command Prompt. All sharing and such is turned on in RC2.

carlbeck

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I downloaded RC2 Saturday and burned it into a CD-R. After making the CD, I inserted it and started to read how to install it when up came a window asking if I wanted to. I clicked yes and watched it for about 40 minutes while it installed. It took me three days to down load it. It kept stalling and I would have to restart it. On Wed, Thurs. and Fri. the best I could get on download was 9 kb/sec. Saturday, it rand around 24 kb/sec and did not stall. I guess everyone in the wold was trying last week and made the site SLOOOW. Since I upgraded I still have my icons on the desktop. I have been thinking of running the "Clean my Desktop" to see what happens. It should put all of my old icons in a folder. I that the new XP tyle also shows up in my Quicken screens. I LIKE IT. It sure is a lot more stable than my Windows Me was.

Status
Not open for further replies.