Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Win 7 frequent bluescreens

Tags:
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
November 16, 2009 8:20:28 PM

I got a shiny new build, well most of it is new, and i installed Win7 home premium x64. It's having up to 4 bluescreens a day.

Fairly sure it's a hardware issue that's just about the only thing that's really changed since i was using the 32bit rc1, unless one my drivers doesn't play nice with 64bit.

The type of BSOD and when they happen seem largely random to me, except it always happens when I'm playing games or otherwise stressing my system.

Here's a few of the bluescreens.

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

BAD_POOL_CALLER

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

System specs are.

CPU: Core i5 750 2.66GHz (Not OC, Temps max out at 55C under 100% load)

Mobo: Gigabyte P55-UD3R (flashed to the latest bios)

RAM: 4GB (2x2) OCZ Gold, DDR3 1600MHz, Dual Channel, 1.65V (Ran Memtest x86 for 15 passes and it found nothing)

Gfx: Radeon HD 3870 (carryover from old comp, GPU temp Seems to cap between 70-75C)

Psu: OCZ 600W StealthXStream (carryover from old comp)

More about : win frequent bluescreens

a b $ Windows 7
November 17, 2009 2:09:38 AM

Quote:
it always happens when I'm playing games or otherwise stressing my system.

RAM is often the cause of system failure when running software (games).

Quote:
4GB (2x2) OCZ Gold, DDR3 1600MHz, Dual Channel, 1.65V

In BIOS, manually set the RAM voltage to at least Mfg. specs (bump the voltage a bit if the system is unstable). Also manually set the speed and timings to mfg. specs.

Could be any number of things causing the BSOD. Perhaps tweaking the RAM and adding voltage may stop the system crashes.
m
l
a c 225 $ Windows 7
November 17, 2009 2:19:29 AM

Bit of a long shot, but pop the heatsink off and re-seat your CPU. I had a system that wouldn't stop bluescreening about a year ago. I had tried every oddball solution I could think of to that point, and ran hardware diagnostics on every piece of hardware in the system (except, of course, a torture test on the CPU). Reseated the CPU and it hasn't bluescreened since. Hopefully it works for you.
m
l
Related resources
November 17, 2009 5:18:47 AM

Flashed the bios again using F3n which was marked beta on the gigabyte website, and that seems to have fixed it. First time round mentioned in my main post was was just to F2.

Quote:
In BIOS, manually set the RAM voltage to at least Mfg. specs (bump the voltage a bit if the system is unstable). Also manually set the speed and timings to mfg. specs.

Could be any number of things causing the BSOD. Perhaps tweaking the RAM and adding voltage may stop the system crashes.

Ram settings are always the first thing i check, tho i don't normally change the timing settings, I'll have to try this thanks.

Quote:
Bit of a long shot, but pop the heatsink off and re-seat your CPU. I had a system that wouldn't stop bluescreening about a year ago. I had tried every oddball solution I could think of to that point, and ran hardware diagnostics on every piece of hardware in the system (except, of course, a torture test on the CPU). Reseated the CPU and it hasn't bluescreened since. Hopefully it works for you.

I'll save this for a last resort, the plastic pins on the cooler scare me, was paranoid I'd break one the whole time i was putting it on.

I'll torment this little piggy and see if it's fixed. Thank you both for the advise.
m
l
a c 225 $ Windows 7
November 17, 2009 10:57:36 AM

Forgot to mention, if you do remove the heatsink to re-seat the CPU, also check for bent pins.
m
l
December 11, 2009 2:54:02 AM

Ok things seemed to be peachy now their back again.

I've gotten 3 this day alone, 1 playing half life 2. one playing doom 3, and one just browsing the web. The one i got in doom it didn't even make it to the blue screen, it just sat there with the screen all garbled and the speakers blasting messed up audio.

I've gotten a few since my last post, but installing steam yesterday seems to have brought them back full force.

If it'll help here's a screenshot from bluescreen view. it only shows one as happening today. the second froze up before it could finish making the dump, and the third didnt even make it to the actual bluescreen.

On another note, I've since triple checked my ram settings and my ram is supposed to be 1600Mhz, and my motherboard is supposed to support that, but i cannot select it as a setting, the closest option available is 1333Mhz. Think i should start looking up RMA info.

m
l
a c 225 $ Windows 7
December 11, 2009 4:26:30 AM

I wouldn't RMA it just yet.

Get into your BIOS and select MB Intelligent Tweaker and then go to Advanced Frequency Settings. See if you can enable the Extreme Memory Profile and bump up the clock speed that way.

I had to do the same thing on one of my older Gigabyte boards.
m
l