Turning NetGear from router to access point only?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 27, 2005 1:15:03 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Forgive me, but I bet this has been posted before, and I was not able to
find the answer easily.

I've just signed up with Vonage, and I think I have to use their product to
route. So that means my wireless router is just going to become an Access
Point (correct?).

I am using a netgear MR814v2 for connecting one wireless and one wired PC to
my Motorola bitsurfer cable modem. That configuration may change, as I am
going to switch to DSL for cost savings, and the DSL provider will give me a
different piece of data communication equipment, eventually.

But, the question I am asking, what do I need to do with my netgear so that
it's not looking up routing tables or getting DHCP requests or whatever it
does on its own?

I went into the router config and tried to see a setting where I could turn
off the routing feature and make it an AP only, but couldn't find it.

So, I think there's only a few hundred thousand people just like me, and bet
this has been posed a number of times before.

Thanks in advance, and feel free to chime in with your Vonage points too, as
I may end up chucking the whole thing if it's crud.

-mr curious aka newsgroup reader
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 9:15:35 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I think all you do is turn off DHCP and assign it an IP.

"ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Forgive me, but I bet this has been posted before, and I was not able to
> find the answer easily.
>
> I've just signed up with Vonage, and I think I have to use their product
> route. So that means my wireless router is just going to become an Access
> Point (correct?).
>
> I am using a netgear MR814v2 for connecting one wireless and one wired PC
> my Motorola bitsurfer cable modem. That configuration may change, as I am
> going to switch to DSL for cost savings, and the DSL provider will give me
> different piece of data communication equipment, eventually.
>
> But, the question I am asking, what do I need to do with my netgear so
that
> it's not looking up routing tables or getting DHCP requests or whatever it
> does on its own?
>
> I went into the router config and tried to see a setting where I could
turn
> off the routing feature and make it an AP only, but couldn't find it.
>
> So, I think there's only a few hundred thousand people just like me, and
bet
> this has been posed a number of times before.
>
> Thanks in advance, and feel free to chime in with your Vonage points too,
as
> I may end up chucking the whole thing if it's crud.
>
> -mr curious aka newsgroup reader

September 28, 2005 2:01:13 PM

ng_reader wrote:
> I think all you do is turn off DHCP and assign it an IP.

I don't know the details about your equipment, YMMV etc, but routing and
DHCP are two unrelated functions.

A router doesn't have to run a DHCP service to be a router.

An access point CAN run DHCP and NOT be a router.

Most SOHO routers will usually run a DHCP server but its not related to
the actual routing process so turning off DHCP and assigning static
adresses will not stop the routing process.

If you only connect a "local" port on it and don't use the WAN port that
might not be a problem though.

Sander
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 2:01:14 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

We'll see. DHL will deliver my Linksys router/Phone connector tomorrow.

!