Turning NetGear from router to access point only?

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Forgive me, but I bet this has been posted before, and I was not able to
find the answer easily.

I've just signed up with Vonage, and I think I have to use their product to
route. So that means my wireless router is just going to become an Access
Point (correct?).

I am using a netgear MR814v2 for connecting one wireless and one wired PC to
my Motorola bitsurfer cable modem. That configuration may change, as I am
going to switch to DSL for cost savings, and the DSL provider will give me a
different piece of data communication equipment, eventually.

But, the question I am asking, what do I need to do with my netgear so that
it's not looking up routing tables or getting DHCP requests or whatever it
does on its own?

I went into the router config and tried to see a setting where I could turn
off the routing feature and make it an AP only, but couldn't find it.

So, I think there's only a few hundred thousand people just like me, and bet
this has been posed a number of times before.

Thanks in advance, and feel free to chime in with your Vonage points too, as
I may end up chucking the whole thing if it's crud.

-mr curious aka newsgroup reader
3 answers Last reply
More about turning netgear router access point only
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    I think all you do is turn off DHCP and assign it an IP.

    "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Forgive me, but I bet this has been posted before, and I was not able to
    > find the answer easily.
    >
    > I've just signed up with Vonage, and I think I have to use their product
    > route. So that means my wireless router is just going to become an Access
    > Point (correct?).
    >
    > I am using a netgear MR814v2 for connecting one wireless and one wired PC
    > my Motorola bitsurfer cable modem. That configuration may change, as I am
    > going to switch to DSL for cost savings, and the DSL provider will give me
    > different piece of data communication equipment, eventually.
    >
    > But, the question I am asking, what do I need to do with my netgear so
    that
    > it's not looking up routing tables or getting DHCP requests or whatever it
    > does on its own?
    >
    > I went into the router config and tried to see a setting where I could
    turn
    > off the routing feature and make it an AP only, but couldn't find it.
    >
    > So, I think there's only a few hundred thousand people just like me, and
    bet
    > this has been posed a number of times before.
    >
    > Thanks in advance, and feel free to chime in with your Vonage points too,
    as
    > I may end up chucking the whole thing if it's crud.
    >
    > -mr curious aka newsgroup reader

  2. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    ng_reader wrote:
    > I think all you do is turn off DHCP and assign it an IP.

    I don't know the details about your equipment, YMMV etc, but routing and
    DHCP are two unrelated functions.

    A router doesn't have to run a DHCP service to be a router.

    An access point CAN run DHCP and NOT be a router.

    Most SOHO routers will usually run a DHCP server but its not related to
    the actual routing process so turning off DHCP and assigning static
    adresses will not stop the routing process.

    If you only connect a "local" port on it and don't use the WAN port that
    might not be a problem though.

    Sander
  3. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    We'll see. DHL will deliver my Linksys router/Phone connector tomorrow.

    "Sander" <Big_Scary_Man@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > ng_reader wrote:
    > > I think all you do is turn off DHCP and assign it an IP.
    >
    > I don't know the details about your equipment, YMMV etc, but routing and
    > DHCP are two unrelated functions.
    >
    > A router doesn't have to run a DHCP service to be a router.
    >
    > An access point CAN run DHCP and NOT be a router.
    >
    > Most SOHO routers will usually run a DHCP server but its not related to
    > the actual routing process so turning off DHCP and assigning static
    > adresses will not stop the routing process.
    >
    > If you only connect a "local" port on it and don't use the WAN port that
    > might not be a problem though.
    >
    > Sander

Configuration Netgear Wireless Networking