Your question

Prime95 questions

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Titan
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
October 17, 2006 5:13:58 PM

I was testing two overclocked Barton systems last night with Prime95, and my question is this. The computer in black in my sig ran Prime for about four hours no problem, but I got bored and started up Titan Quest while Prime95 was running. After about 15 minutes, Titan Quest quit out to the desktop, but Prime95 was still going strong. Does this really mean anything, or was I just being unrealistic in my testing with that system?

I have also heard people talk about running Prime95 while looping 3DMark.

More about : prime95 questions

October 17, 2006 5:34:08 PM

If you want to test the stability of your overclock then for real results test it with whatever you are working on. If you play games then run it with the settings you want. Run your system with the most demanding real application you run. That's because you're Barton can't run Prime 95 and Titan Quest at the same time it doesn't mean it's not stable.

I overclocked my cpu but I test it by running to the most demanding application, the games, like FEAR and Oblivion on 4xAA and highest quality settings and it runs pretty damn good. My cpu may not be stable running Prime95 and looping 3DMark but I make sure it runs stable to my real applications.

Never heard of Prime95/3DMark test.

So if you're most demanding task is work processing then test your overclocked on that one. :p 
October 17, 2006 6:02:04 PM

I had a quick question about Prime95. I'm a newbe to OC'ing and this was my first build. I read Wusy's guide, and have started to slowly overclock my PC.

I'm up to 3Ghz with 350 FSB and DDR2 700Mhz. I want to start checking system stability. I have Memtest and now want to use Prime.

Wusy recommends using running Prime95 in dual instances. What the heck does that mean.

I went to Prime95, looked at the menus, and then there was something there called a Torture test. I started running that. What must the settings be in that test (there are various options?????).

Also, dual instances? I tried to open Prime95 again, in another window to run the two apps simultaneously, and it wouldnt allow me to. Only opened one window.

Can someone please advise.

THANKS! :o 
Related resources
October 17, 2006 7:17:48 PM

dual instances IS what you said, however, what you have to do is have the two primes in seperate directories. e.g:

...../desktop/prime1/prime.exe
...../desktop/prime2/prime.exe

copy and paste into a seperate folder will work fine, then you can run 2 (or more.....) of them at once.

Ara
October 17, 2006 7:46:23 PM

Hey, thanks for the tip Ara. Much appreciated. I'll do that and see what happens.

Do I just leave the settings in the torture test to default. They had some options there I didnt understand. THANKS!
October 17, 2006 7:52:09 PM

i honestly don't know what other people use, but i use the "in-place large FFT's" because when i'm overclocking, not only do i want to test stability, but temperature aswell, which i can do both at once using that option.

Ara
October 18, 2006 12:17:57 PM

Quote:
i honestly don't know what other people use, but i use the "in-place large FFT's" because when i'm overclocking, not only do i want to test stability, but temperature aswell, which i can do both at once using that option.

Ara

Ara, I have no idea how the Prime95's torture test works. I wanted to test my computer stability for 2 hours but after 30 minutes the 2 programs became idle and not testing anymore. I reached Test 5, 4000 and the other program reached Test 3, 4000

So is this natural?
October 18, 2006 12:41:03 PM

the program should have given you an error, the reason for it's idling, because the stress test is supposed to be continuous (should not stop unless there is an error). So you are probably overclocked to a level where your getting errors (not good), so you can either decrease your overclock, or if you have the cooling, you can increase your voltage to stabilize your overclock.

if you are not overclocked and you are getting these errors on stock settings, then your hardware is likely to have a problem and you may want to RMA

Ara
October 18, 2006 12:53:22 PM

I didn't receive any error warning while I was testing my computer. :( 
I have the cooling here and my load temp is @ 42C. My CPU is E6300 running @ 2.4GHz.
October 18, 2006 1:48:15 PM

no warning you say...? i'm stumped.
i've always gotten a warning, or reason, for prime stopping, whether it be "execution halted" which still tells me how many errors and warnings there were, as well as how long the test ran, or a blue screen of death, or some indication to the cause such as "fatal error"

Ara
October 19, 2006 6:10:38 AM

Quote:
no warning you say...? i'm stumped.
i've always gotten a warning, or reason, for prime stopping, whether it be "execution halted" which still tells me how many errors and warnings there were, as well as how long the test ran, or a blue screen of death, or some indication to the cause such as "fatal error"

Ara

ok, i got it to work. sorry it was my huge mistake. i didn't know that i needed to set the affinity values for core 0 and core 1.. that should be the reason why . thanks
October 19, 2006 11:14:05 AM

personally, i've never had trouble with setting affinities, but i guess it's something to keep in mind.

Ara
!