Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
My office computer which is a custom rig:

AMD AM2 3800+
GigabyteGA-M55plus-s3g
1 gig of DDR2 memory I think it's G.Skil
Case is a 1U server case.
Using on board video.

A problem has been occuring recently with the computer. The screen with scrambles and freezes the computer. The screen looks like the contents of the displayed image is shrunk a few dozen times and rotated 30 degrees. I reboot and the problem stops, however today the problem has occured twice and I am totally clueless on what to do. Any opinions?

Mainly the computer is used for AutoCAD, some photoshop, 3D MAX.

UC7

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Did you recently install any new programs or devices before this started happening? Maybe something that could interfere with the video driver?

rchurch

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
No I haven't installed a new programs besides the updates for Adobe CS2 however this problem was occuring before those updates were installed. Also this is the same for devices, no new installs before the problems occured.

j7uy5

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Does the computer completely lock up, not responding to eithe the keyboard or mouse? Or does it still respond, but with a muddled display?

I am fairly sure that onboard video uses your main system RAM. If your problem is just with the display, then I would wonder if you need to change the BIOS setting that determines how much RAM is allocated to the video. You might be able to fix this by allocating more RAM to the video.

Tee other thing that comes to mind, especially if this is a complete system lockup, is that your system might be overheating. The most common cause of that is dust buildup inside the case, possibly covering the power supply.

blueangel

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Have you tried updating your bios, drivers. Or have you done that, maybe try going back to the original ones that came with the product. Also see if you have another graphics card around, trouble shoot by using another graphics card, if the problem doesn’t occur you know it is the onboard graphics, if it does continue try eliminating other variables. Try different ram, or take out a set if you have 2 sets of 512 for example.