Sign in with
Your question

Upgraded CPU... system slowed down.....?

Last response: in CPUs
October 17, 2006 11:28:33 PM

My brother just upgraded from a socket AM2 3500+ Orleans to a 4200 X2 Windsor, and although he can now multitask, windows boot time (and shutdown time) is appallingly slow..... any ideas why?

Thought he may have to flash bios, but as its an AM2 board I assumed it would be X2 compatible as standard, as they'd been around a while when AM2 socket came out....
Anonymous
October 18, 2006 12:10:51 AM

Hey, how did your brother's 3500+ perform? What all did he do with it?
October 18, 2006 12:13:49 AM

Quote:
My brother just upgraded from a socket AM2 3500+ Orleans to a 4200 X2 Windsor, and although he can now multitask, windows boot time (and shutdown time) is appallingly slow..... any ideas why?

Thought he may have to flash bios, but as its an AM2 board I assumed it would be X2 compatible as standard, as they'd been around a while when AM2 socket came out....

Since I've yet to get my hands on an AM2 board, here's a shot from the hip.. Did he update the CPU drivers for an X2 processor?
HERE?

The first utility is an optimizer for gaming but first, install the second from the bottom for Windows XP

Other than that, there's no reason for startup/shutdown slowdown unless his power supply is now overloaded. Did he change anything else? Review the timings in bios if they are set to anything other than auto.
October 18, 2006 12:59:23 AM

Thanks for the link... we'll give it a whirl.

Since installing the CPU his memory frequency has changed from 333 Mhz (DDR667) to 308Mhz.....and the timings slackened from 4-4-4-12 to 5-5-5-15......? And the processor's HT speed is 807Mhz..... hmmm....
!