Question about SATA Installation.

G

t53186

Distinguished
I just got this HDD from Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144701

I am going to get this MOBO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131013

Now the question I have is this: Will I be able to install the HDD even without the cd? I know I need to get the sata cables, but can it be run without the cd?

This question is probaly dumb to you all, but I am a newbie at building pcs, I have upgrade the ram, gpu, and some other stuff though.

Thanks.

Outstanding choice for the HD. I've got four. All in a raid.

What CD are you refering to? If this is a new build you just hook up the HD via SATA cable to you MB, set bios to recognized the drive as SATA and load up your OS. Or am I missing some details you forgot to mention?

G

Yes, the cd that comes with the RETAIL version at the site.

If that is not an installation cd, then I guess what you told me is what I needed to know. Just hook it up, and set it up in bios, am i correct?

Mondoman

Splendid
Of course you will need to download any drivers that were on the CD from the Asus website. In these situations, I find it useful to first download the manual for the MB from the manufacturer's website and read through it to minimize unpleasant surprises.
You may also have to download drivers for the SATA/RAID controller onto a floppy disk to allow WinXP to install them during the install process (when it asks you to press F6 if you have drivers to install).

G

Asus, you mean the MOBO right? I wont be using raid, so will I still have to install drivers?

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
What do you plan to load the OS from? This is where the CD comes in...

Win3.1 comes on floppys, otherwise, I think you need a CD reader for any modern OS.

Or do you mean the driver CD for the Motherboard and HDD? All that can be downloaded from the MFG.

G

Well, I am going to install XP Home brand new from a brand new cd.

This is a brand new build, not upgrade.

Dont I have to install the HD before the OS on a new build?

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
The OS will come on a CD. You will need to install the HDD and a CD/DVD drive. When you boot for the first time, put the OS disk in the CD drive. The system will boot from the installation CD and begin the OS install automatically.

If you plan to use RAID you will likely need to install drivers for the RAID controller. Win2K prompts to push F6, I don't know about XP.

omgitslong

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
hi
I've just purchase the exact same drive from NewEgg. This is my first time building a computer.

There are 4 'slots' on the back of the HDD.
- 15 pins SATA Power
- SATA 'cable port'
- Jumpers
- Legacy Power

I'm not arraying RAID, and it's the only drive.

Now, I have the SATA cable and the 12V connected to it, do I need the 15 pins SATA power?? because it's the only thing that I forgot to buy >_<

thx in advance

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Now, I have the SATA cable and the 12V connected to it, do I need the 15 pins SATA power?? because it's the only thing that I forgot to buy

You can use either the legacy power adapter or the 15-pin SATA power adapter, but never use both at the same time.