Sign in with
Your question

Overclocked a Quadro to 3.3GHz without increasing voltage?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 18, 2006 3:13:10 AM

I just re-read the Quadro review here on THG and I realised that they didnt increase voltage to attain 3.3GHz with the Quadro. Thats really sweet because from what little I know about overclocking, you dont loose the warranty if you dont mess with increasing voltages.

So my question is, how did they manage that frequency without a voltage increase?

Im a ocing noob, so bear with me.

I plan on getting a Quadro shortly after it comes out, and that piece of info seems very interesting. So with good cooling and a slight voltage increase, you could probably get it above 3.8GHz or something. Man that thing is going to rock. Especially since I do video editing.

I think I should buy a cheap Pentium D like the 805 and practice OCing, cause I sure as hell wouldnt want to fry such an expensive CPU since it would be my first attempt at such a thing.
a c 132 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 18, 2006 3:36:05 AM

Core 2 tends to need less voltage for ocing....many are going from 2.4(e6600) to 3.0 and higher on stock too..... :) 
since quadro is just 2 conroes together....it will see the same OC ability.
October 18, 2006 3:39:25 AM

Core 2 Duo's are notorious for being ludicrously simple to overclock, and it follows that Core 2 Quad are also. It's not uncommon to be able to run an E6600 at 3GHz without any vCore increase.
Related resources
October 18, 2006 3:59:03 AM

My E6400 runs 3Ghz without adding any voltage.
October 18, 2006 4:01:28 AM

Quote:
Core 2 tends to need less voltage for ocing....many are going from 2.4(e6600) to 3.0 and higher on stock too..... :) 
since quadro is just 2 conroes together....it will see the same OC ability.

Since it is two conroes put together you can expect the oc capability to be less than C2D, it will generate more heat and need more cooling in order to obtain the same clocks as a regular dual core
October 18, 2006 4:11:35 AM

Beat me to it. They should OC very well, but won't see the % OC's like you see with C2D. Though I am interested to see the SuperPI's of a C2Q on LN2 :) 
October 18, 2006 11:44:54 AM

Please help clarify this, again im a noob and im trying to figure OCing out. By merely increasing the voltage of the MOBO, you are in turn raising the FSB, and the CPU will automatically begin to operate at higher frequencies? Thus the apparent lack of a need for increasing the volt of the CPU?

Is this assumption correct?
October 18, 2006 11:55:54 AM

Quote:
Please help clarify this, again im a noob and im trying to figure OCing out. By merely increasing the voltage of the MOBO, you are in turn raising the FSB, and the CPU will automatically begin to operate at higher frequencies? Thus the apparent lack of a need for increasing the volt of the CPU?

Naw. To overclock you merely have to raise the FSB, unless you have an unlocked multiplier (Intel Extreme Edition or AMD FX). If you do opt for the big $$$ processors with unlocked multipliers then you can just raise your multiplier to overclock.

The only time you should increase any voltage settings is if your computer isn't running stable on the OC you set. Raising the voltage is not the safest thing to do, because you could fry something if you aren't careful. Most people stop when the hardware needs more voltage than it did at stock speeds.
October 18, 2006 2:51:21 PM

Quote:
Core 2 Duo's are notorious for being ludicrously simple to overclock, and it follows that Core 2 Quad are also. It's not uncommon to be able to run an E6600 at 3GHz without any vCore increase.

First of all, wtf is a quadro??? LOL.

Secondly they are only notoriously easy overclockers with the right mobo, just like any other processor.
I've not been able to reach 2ghz with a E6300 on a Nforce4 SLI without lockups, however was able to reach 2.5 using the same processor on a 965 board. It all comes down to the mobo.It would probably have overclocked a hell of a lot more, if you hadn't been overclocking it underwater. :x
October 19, 2006 2:58:21 AM

Quote:
If you do opt for the big $$$ processors with unlocked multipliers then you can just raise your multiplier to overclock.

The only time you should increase any voltage settings is if your computer isn't running stable on the OC you set.

1.) Would you happen to know if the Quadro will have a multiplier? Which Conroes currently have a multiplier? Just the Extreme?

2.) So increasing voltage can actually increase stability in some cases?
October 19, 2006 4:42:15 AM

Quote:
1.) Would you happen to know if the Quadro will have a multiplier? Which Conroes currently have a multiplier? Just the Extreme?

All processors have multipliers : ) Only the expensive X6800 currently has an unlocked multiplier. Some p965 mobos have gotten around the locked multipliers, but only to bring the multiplier down : ) The QX6700 will be the first quad core processor and it will be unlocked. Only the "X" processors (extreme) will be unlocked.

Quote:
2.) So increasing voltage can actually increase stability in some cases?

Yup. The only reason anyone would want to fiddle with the voltage settings is to give the component a little more breathing room. You just need to make sure you don't give it more than it can handle. Always take baby steps with voltage and then stop once it is stable or something is smoking. (Ideally you should stop before smoke) Monitor your temps!
October 19, 2006 11:38:19 AM

Dont really know too much about the multipliers and stuff. I was planning on getting a MSI 975x Platinum for two things. One, Editors Choice here at THG, Two, I read that it comes with some sort of Dual Core feature that allows noobs like me to overclock easily.

I would like to get an article that is more noob orientad than Wuzys guide, something that explains everything about what a multiplier is and stuff. I start doing some research tonight when I get back, but now, I gotta go to work.
October 19, 2006 12:29:03 PM

Quote:

First of all, wtf is a quadro??? LOL.

Secondly they are only notoriously easy overclockers with the right mobo, just like any other processor.
I've not been able to reach 2ghz with a E6300 on a Nforce4 SLI without lockups, however was able to reach 2.5 using the same processor on a 965 board. It all comes down to the mobo.

Quadro is referring to Intel's upcoming quad-core CPU... you'll also see some people on here refer to it as C2Q.
!