wireless access to my network

bryce

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2001
Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi.

So I've got my normal network set up with my firebox..it's 192.168.111.1

It's DHCP is on and serves out 192.168.111.2 ~ 254, except for 7

I plugged in the Linksys WRT54G and set it as 192.168.111.7

It's other side is 192.168.1.1

Is there any way to get computers that join in wirelessly on 192.168.1.1 to
join the workgroup on 192.168.111.1?

Also, another question.....

If I've got SSID turned off, how do I find the network when I'm connecting
to it with a wireless device?

Thanks for any info.

Bryce.

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> If I've got SSID turned off, how do I find the network when I'm connecting
> to it with a wireless device?

You create a manual profile but given that hiding SSID doesn't actually
hide it and is pointless from a security point of view, just turn it
back on.

David.

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:04:19 -0700, "Bryce" <fukuzz@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi.
>
>So I've got my normal network set up with my firebox..it's 192.168.111.1
>
>It's DHCP is on and serves out 192.168.111.2 ~ 254, except for 7
>
>I plugged in the Linksys WRT54G and set it as 192.168.111.7
>
>It's other side is 192.168.1.1
>
>Is there any way to get computers that join in wirelessly on 192.168.1.1 to
>join the workgroup on 192.168.111.1?

Sure. You can build a static route in the "firebox" to the other
router. (What's a firebox?) However, that's a pain and not worth the
effort. What you do is convert your WRT54G from a wireless router
into a wireless access point. To so this:

1. Setup the LAN side IP address of the WRT54G for 192.168.111.222.
The idea is to not duplicate anything in the "firebox". Incidentally,
setting the DHCP range for the entire /24 block is a bad idea.

2. Turn OFF the DHCP server in the WRT54G.

3. Don't connect anything to the WAN port of the WRT54G.

4. Connect a cable bewtween a LAN port on your "firebox" and a LAN
port on your WRT54G. Watch your polarity as you may need a crossover
cable or adapter.

Congrats, you now have an access point instead of a wireless router.
Users will get their IP addresses from the "firebox" DHCP server.

>Also, another question.....

One at a time.

>If I've got SSID turned off, how do I find the network when I'm connecting
>to it with a wireless device?

Sense of smell? If you specify the SSID, most (not all) wireless
client will find your wireless access point. Windoze wireless zero
config usually does not.
# 831.336.2558 voice Skype: JeffLiebermann
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
# http://802.11junk.com
# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# jeffl@cruzio.com