• Day After Thanksgiving

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Between Thanksgiving and Christmas

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • After Christmas

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Jan. / Feb.

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Never. Ram is oil. Prices only go up or stay the same, never down significantly

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
When are the DDR2 ram prices going to go down? Does anyone know? I haven't ever been in the market when a ram tech was being phased out (in this case, DDR), so I don't really have a real idea of when they will be more affordable.

Will it be around Christmas (or before), like I hope?
Has it become a commodity with its normal price approx. $50 for 512 megs etc.?

I'm waiting to upgrade my proc/memory until I can make a good system with a gig of ram for less than 200 bucks. I know, technically it is possible, but I want an upgrade for my current system (in my sig) and an X2 is the way to go for me. The way my mobo is, I can install an AM2 proc in there, so I know what I'm doing. I'm waiting for the prices to go down so I can get best bang/buck.

Also, I think this information would be of great use to anyone in the market for DDR2 ram this season...

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
They may drop after x-mas a little, but there pretty steady really my stuff that i use for ddr1 floats around 110-140$ for 2-2-2-5 timings from decent manufacture.

I bought 2gig's of DDR in June for $175 w/$50 rebate and now it's like $240!!! I've usually seen the best prices on DDR in Jan-Apr timeframe. Last year I bought 1 gig of DDR for about $76 and now it's in the $120 range!

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Supply and demand. Back to school buying usually has a small increase, and the holiday (Thanksgiving/Christmas) usually has another ram increase, will drop down after New Years since no point in buying presents then. However, because of the Core 2 Duo and AM2 launch, DDR2 prices skyrocketed due to the huge jump in demand.

Jan/Feb is your best bet. Don't know how much cheaper it will get, but I'm 90% certain that will be the time to buy.

I bought 2gig's of DDR in June for $175 w/$50 rebate and now it's like $240!!! I've usually seen the best prices on DDR in Jan-Apr timeframe. Last year I bought 1 gig of DDR for about $76 and now it's in the $120 range!

Yep, i know what you mean. I bought 2GB of Corsair XMS for like $190 or something like that. Two weeks later, it shot up $40 - $50. I'm glad I didn't wait too long to buy my RAM.

---------------------------

Anyway, I don't expect RAM prices to fall until Q1 2007. Many people have upgraded their PC and ditched DDR for DDR2 RAM; like me. The holiday rush is upon us so you know Dell and other are going to be aggressively pushing PC off the assembly line. Face it, there is a huge demand for DDR2 RAM right now.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Supply and demand. Back to school buying usually has a small increase, and the holiday (Thanksgiving/Christmas) usually has another ram increase, will drop down after New Years since no point in buying presents then. However, because of the Core 2 Duo and AM2 launch, DDR2 prices skyrocketed due to the huge jump in demand.

Jan/Feb is your best bet. Don't know how much cheaper it will get, but I'm 90% certain that will be the time to buy.

Agree - its like right now is the time for everyone (OEMs and builders) to switch to DDR2 - hence the high demand coupled with the AM2/C2D launch.

Hopefully it'll get less after the holiday season and demand will lessen. I'm betting the high season is before school starts to Xmas for OEMs.

roncpem

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
I have a board & a c2d but am waiting for the ddr2 ram prices to go back down to where they were about a month or 2 ago before i will buy. seems very unfair that they went up that much.

yumi_cheeseman

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
I was sad when my 2 Gig Corsair jumped from 250 to 350 australian dollars! a 100 dollar jump! I was annoyed mostly because at the time it was 250 dollars, I didn't have the money to afford it, and then it jumped up to 350 so I can't afford it again.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I bought 2 gigs of patriot ram for 170$ 3 weeks ago. I am going to build a computer for my friend and use the same ram. So I went onto newegg last night and it was 250$! 80$ jump! So I think I'm going to go with 1 gig of wampo ram (can't remember the name but something like that) for 105$.