PaperPort Software

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 8, 2004 10:21:01 PM

I have a nagging problem,I have not been able to resolve. When using
PaperPort V9 and try to scan an image, I always get the error "Unable to
communicate with twain device". The scanner works fine with all other
programs so I don't think the issue is with the scanner. I am running
Windows XP Pro and my question is: Are there any Twain_32 files in windows
that may be corrupted? This software worked fine on a Windows XP Home
computer upgraded from Windows 98 ME. I am currently using an Epson 2580
scanner.

Thank you for any thoughts you may have,

Don Burklo

More about : paperport software

Anonymous
September 9, 2004 8:21:43 PM

Suggestion:
Go to the Adaptec web site, and download the ASPI components
for Windows XP.

Rational:
Windows 98/ME included these items, Windows XP does not.
They are the software "layer" used in driving the SCSI bus,
but just *may* be used for other purposes by some vendors.

"Don Burklo" <Dwburklo@Nktelco.net> wrote in message
news:D BL%c.17$AZ2.52290@news.uswest.net...
> I have a nagging problem,I have not been able to resolve.
When using
> PaperPort V9 and try to scan an image, I always get the
error "Unable to
> communicate with twain device". The scanner works fine
with all other
> programs so I don't think the issue is with the scanner. I
am running
> Windows XP Pro and my question is: Are there any Twain_32
files in windows
> that may be corrupted? This software worked fine on a
Windows XP Home
> computer upgraded from Windows 98 ME. I am currently using
an Epson 2580
> scanner.
>
> Thank you for any thoughts you may have,
>
> Don Burklo

Anonymous
September 26, 2004 1:59:02 PM

Don wrote:

"I have a nagging problem,I have not been able to resolve. When using

PaperPort V9 and try to scan an image, I always get the error "Unable to

communicate with the TWAIN device". The scanner works fine with all other

programs so I don't think the issue is with the scanner. I am running

Windows XP Pro..."

The error message "Unable to communicate with the TWAIN device" when trying
to scan with PaperPort is a known issue. In most cases it is caused by
scanning with PaperPort using an HP scanner and then trying to use another
brand of scanner. I have been unable to scan with my Brother for many
months now. The problem is a ScanSoft issue, as this only occurs with
PaperPort and OmniPage.

Sadly, ScanSoft tech support ranges from incompetent to indifferent.

Harry

> "Don Burklo" <Dwburklo@Nktelco.net> wrote in message
> news:D BL%c.17$AZ2.52290@news.uswest.net...
> > I have a nagging problem,I have not been able to resolve.
> When using
> > PaperPort V9 and try to scan an image, I always get the
> error "Unable to
> > communicate with twain device". The scanner works fine
> with all other
> > programs so I don't think the issue is with the scanner. I
> am running
> > Windows XP Pro and my question is: Are there any Twain_32
> files in windows
> > that may be corrupted? This software worked fine on a
> Windows XP Home
> > computer upgraded from Windows 98 ME. I am currently using
> an Epson 2580
> > scanner.
> >
> > Thank you for any thoughts you may have,
> >
> > Don Burklo

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 4:01:29 AM

Did you re-run the scanner wizard in PaperPort. Use the Advanced option and
use the other option for scanner interface. (there are two). One option may
work better, you have to try both.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
"psa" <psa@[remove]nauticom.net> wrote in message

> Don wrote:
>
> "I have a nagging problem,I have not been able to resolve. When using
>
> PaperPort V9 and try to scan an image, I always get the error "Unable to
>
> communicate with the TWAIN device". The scanner works fine with all other
>
> programs so I don't think the issue is with the scanner. I am running
>
> Windows XP Pro..."
>
> The error message "Unable to communicate with the TWAIN device" when
trying
> to scan with PaperPort is a known issue. In most cases it is caused by
> scanning with PaperPort using an HP scanner and then trying to use another
> brand of scanner. I have been unable to scan with my Brother for many
> months now. The problem is a ScanSoft issue, as this only occurs with
> PaperPort and OmniPage.
>
> Sadly, ScanSoft tech support ranges from incompetent to indifferent.
>
> Harry
>

> > "Don Burklo" <Dwburklo@Nktelco.net> wrote in message
> > news:D BL%c.17$AZ2.52290@news.uswest.net...
> > > I have a nagging problem,I have not been able to resolve.
> > When using
> > > PaperPort V9 and try to scan an image, I always get the
> > error "Unable to
> > > communicate with twain device". The scanner works fine
> > with all other
> > > programs so I don't think the issue is with the scanner. I
> > am running
> > > Windows XP Pro and my question is: Are there any Twain_32
> > files in windows
> > > that may be corrupted? This software worked fine on a
> > Windows XP Home
> > > computer upgraded from Windows 98 ME. I am currently using
> > an Epson 2580
> > > scanner.
> > >
> > > Thank you for any thoughts you may have,
> > >
> > > Don Burklo

October 2, 2004 4:06:55 AM

Look for "scaninit.exe" it's in the paper port directory (I think) run it
and it re initialises the scanner, that always seem to fix mine up
cheers

!