Will Direct x10 card run on Win XP PRO?

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
with dx10 cards in less than a month and vista 3months away then i am going to say yes.

otherwise, you will have a lot of pissed off people having to pay $$$/£££ for a great graphics card and even more $$$/£££ for an OS which will support it.

it might end up that they will work but not as good as they could since they would be running DX9.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I just sat through a presentation by an MS rep. for my corp. that compared it to the core difference that was in place between running on something between Win95 and Win312. When asked, he stated flatly, "Currently, we see no plans for DX10 on WinXP." However, he did say he was marketing and they don't always get the best up-to-date info.

A simple question, YES or NO?
Alright then, a simple answer; YES.

Long answer: Unless M$ plans to force the millions of corporate and desktop users to migrate from XP to Vista and abandon an established and profitable OS environment, then NO. But I can't fathom M$ not releasing an XP compatible DX10 update, lest they prove that are truly money hungry and just force users like me to use bootleg/hacked copies of Vista or find work arounds to get DX10 to work in XP.

Do you think DirectX 10 cards will be able to run the DirectX 9 instructions?
Another simple answer, YES.

Long answer: It has already been anounced that DX10 cards will be backwards compatible.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Slicessoul wrote:
Do you think DirectX 10 cards will be able to run the DirectX 9 instructions?

Another simple answer, YES.

Long answer: It has already been anounced that DX10 cards will be backwards compatible.
Thanks Chunkymonster.

So Funnyvlad ? still have any doubt ?

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
I just sat through a presentation by an MS rep. for my corp. that compared it to the core difference that was in place between running on something between Win95 and Win312. When asked, he stated flatly, "Currently, we see no plans for DX10 on WinXP." However, he did say he was marketing and they don't always get the best up-to-date info.

You're confusing the DX10 software with DX10-compatable hardware.
There's nothing in any of what he said that means DX10-compatible hardware won't work on XP. You just won't get DX10.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I will say this, and I'm pretty farking sure.

DX10 cards will work in Windows XP, but it will only render DX9.0c, since MS will not be dumb enough to give XP DX10. Thats one of the biggest reasons to switch to Vista, and they will not shoot themselves in the foot. Sure, you can find some hacked or cracked drivers, but I will assure you MS will find ways to block it just as fast.

DX10 will improve DX9 games performance over DX9 cards, but don't expect to keep XP and play games with the same features as DX10 on Vista.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Long answer: Unless M$ plans to force the millions of corporate and desktop users to migrate from XP to Vista and abandon an established and profitable OS environment, then NO. But I can't fathom M$ not releasing an XP compatible DX10 update, lest they prove that are truly money hungry and just force users like me to use bootleg/hacked copies of Vista or find work arounds to get DX10 to work in XP.

Dude get real. Thats EXACTLY what MS are doing. Also they've already said (many times) there won't be any DX10 for XP. Theyre using that as the only good reason for people with XP to downgrade to Vista.

Vista sucks. Just say no to drugs and crappy software.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Wait, pray tell me... how exactly does Vista suck? Besides UAC annoyance, which most people like us can turn off and never look back... how does it "suck".

I think its a fine OS. Enough for me to upgrade too, maybe, depending on my student discount. Better than XP, maybe. But its still a decent OS. Please emphasize where exactly it sucks as an OS, and if you don't have XP, why should we not buy it?

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I will say this, and I'm pretty farking sure.

DX10 cards will work in Windows XP, but it will only render DX9.0c, since MS will not be dumb enough to give XP DX10. Thats one of the biggest reasons to switch to Vista, and they will not shoot themselves in the foot. Sure, you can find some hacked or cracked drivers, but I will assure you MS will find ways to block it just as fast.

DX10 will improve DX9 games performance over DX9 cards, but don't expect to keep XP and play games with the same features as DX10 on Vista.

Exactly. DX10 hardware will run on XP, just not run DX10 on XP. However, DX10 hardware will run DX9 software as well. They apparently have no plans to emulate the new features on XP. Really, why should MS lose money by forcing a new standard, then allowing people to upgrade to the new features without a cost.

According to this : http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35110

Apparently XP and DX10 cards will run together and not emulated.

One can only hope especially since the Inquirer is right about mainstream DX10 cards not coming out until mid or late 2007. Then again this is the Inquirer we are talking about, and they have a good track record for being wrong. In this case it's 50/50, either mainstream GPUs will be out in H1 2007 or H2 2007.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

YES

Or do you really think that nvidia would produce a super uber expensive graphics chip that 100% of it´s potential customers can´t use for months to come? And a huge part of them wouldn´t be able to use it for the next few years to come until they migrate to MS Vista. Things like that happen only once to a corporation. :?

funnyvlad

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Well this is a reply to everyone(even myself)
First of all I apologize for duplicating this post. That was not intentional.

Second, I assumed the answer would be YES but I wasn´t 100% certain.

Third, I was not clear enough with my question. What I really wanted to know was If Win XP would get advantage of dx10 and not only dx9.

Anyway, thanks for the answer 8)

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
In this case, it's not really nVidia's choice in the matter, but Microsoft and game developers. Most graphics cards are backward compatabile with older models of DX (As far back as I know, I'm playing some 5 year old games still). But it's up to the game companies whether they program the game to support older versions of DX. Granted, they most likely would otherwise they would alienate people, but its their say, not nVidia's or ATI.

sailer

Splendid

YES

Or do you really think that nvidia would produce a super uber expensive graphics chip that 100% of it´s potential customers can´t use for months to come? And a huge part of them wouldn´t be able to use it for the next few years to come until they migrate to MS Vista. Things like that happen only once to a corporation. :?

Simple answer NO!!!

As far as Nvidia selling DX10 cards sometime next month, that's a business gamble. They know the cards won't preform as DX10 cards, but only as DX9 cards while used in a XP machine. Whether that will give a performance gain or not is yet to be seen.

What they do want is to first, get their foot in the door before ATI's card is out; second, be there when people start making the migration to Vista and not having people complain that they have Vista, but no DX10 cards to use; third, make a lot of money.

The gamble is that Vista might be delayed until Easter, or even later. If the delay occurs, then many people who were waiting for Vista first will find both Nvidia and ATI cards from which they can choose. Then, if ATI makes a better card for its late start, people will ignore Nvidia's card and by the ATI card. Worse, if Vista is late once again, people who bought Nvidia's card early are goin go be unhappy when they find they could have waited a few more months and gotten a better card for the money. So its a gamble that Nvidia is taking, along with anyone who buys a DX10 card from them when they come out in November.

For myself, I'm going to wait for a few reasons. I've seen Vista delayed to many times to get excited about the next proposed release date (I'll believe it when it happens), and also because I want it to get out and some of the bugs get fixed first before migrating to it.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I looked at the specs, and they don't seem near that impressive... 575mhz core and 900mhz GDDR3 memory? Nothing to see here... move along.

Imma wait for some benchmarks and news on ATI before I make the jump. I'm fairly certain I'll get Vista since my dad subscribes to MSDN and I also get student discount on software so there are 2 places for me to possibly get it.

Quad cores so damn expensive... and I wanted one =(