HP ScanJet 4C & XP

Howdy:
I have a neighbor that is trying to install the ancient H-P 4C scanner
on his Win XP machine and is having problems. We have been to the HP
web site and picked up the new drivers for the XP OS, but Xp will not
admt that there is a scanner attached to it. In Device Manager (right
term?) it does not show an imaging device. The cable and the scanner
both work on an old Win98 machine. There is no printer attached to the
LPT1 port, just the scanner, for now.

Any ideas, please? And, yes, I know, he should invest in a newer
scanner, but that just ain't possible right now.

Thanks for any help.

--
The Seabat

"seabat" <seabat@boardermail.com> wrote in message
> Howdy:
> I have a neighbor that is trying to install the ancient H-P 4C scanner
> on his Win XP machine and is having problems. We have been to the HP
> web site and picked up the new drivers for the XP OS, but Xp will not
> admt that there is a scanner attached to it. In Device Manager (right
> term?) it does not show an imaging device. The cable and the scanner
> both work on an old Win98 machine. There is no printer attached to the
> LPT1 port, just the scanner, for now.
>
> Any ideas, please? And, yes, I know, he should invest in a newer
> scanner, but that just ain't possible right now.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>

> --
> The Seabat

The 4C is a SCSI scanner.
http://www.jdr.com/PDF/scanjet-4c.pdf

Which means you have to have a SCSI card installed in your computer.

It does NOT connect to the parallel port. (LPT1)

The 4C came with a ISA SCSI card, which will not work in a PCI slot.
If you need a SCSI card go to EBAY and get one. Make sure the connector is
the correct one.

On Windows XP and Windows 2000 you must install ASPI for SCSI scanners.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;182542&Product=win2000

Direct link to download for XP.
http://download.adaptec.com/software_pc/aspi/aspi_471a2.exe

--