Bad signal problem

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Archived from groups: (More info?)

I live near an internet hotspot. If I take my laptop out
into the backyard, I get a really good signal. But in the
house, I get no signal at all, most of the time. There is
a wire fence between the source of the signal and my house,
which I'm guessing is the problem, but maybe not.

Any suggestions? It seems there should be some kind of
antenna I could use. The guy at the computer store didn't
help much! I use a D-Link AirPlus card, if that helps.

TIA

Dave

dave <david_lawrence_petry@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I live near an internet hotspot. If I take my laptop out
> into the backyard, I get a really good signal. But in the
> house, I get no signal at all, most of the time. There is
> a wire fence between the source of the signal and my house,
> which I'm guessing is the problem, but maybe not.

Yes.

> Any suggestions? It seems there should be some kind of
> antenna I could use. The guy at the computer store didn't
> help much! I use a D-Link AirPlus card, if that helps.

Obtain a cheap USB network stick.
Obtain 2 5m extension cables.
Obtain a unpowered cheap hub.
Plug them all together, and you can have your laptop 10m away from the
AP, for around $25 or so.
Site the network stick where it's got a clear view over the fence.

TRENDING THREADS