Uninstall SP2

I'd like to go back to SP1......could I have a link
to Microsoft's article on doing this? Thank you.
--
William B. Lurie
11 answers Last reply

    William B. Lurie wrote:
    > I'd like to go back to SP1......could I have a link
    > to Microsoft's article on doing this? Thank you.

    Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. Be sure you've placed a
    checkmark in the "Show Updates" option at the top.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    > William B. Lurie wrote:
    >
    >> I'd like to go back to SP1......could I have a link
    >> to Microsoft's article on doing this? Thank you.
    >
    > Bruce Chambers wrote:
    >
    > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. Be sure you've placed a
    > checkmark in the "Show Updates" option at the top.

    Thanks, Bruce. Found it, it started and as it progressed, I got
    an error window, about "Cannot find file".....and gave me no
    option other than discontinue.....

    The reason I want to go back is to be able to install RC,
    and I have no Install CD that's modern enough, so I wanted
    to fall back to SP1.....

    Alternatively, could I reinstall SP2 now, to bring SP2's
    missing file(?) back, and then proceed to uninstall?

    William B. Lurie

    How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875355&product=windowsxpsp2
    How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if the Windows XP
    Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully

    Taurarian wrote:
    > How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875355&product=windowsxpsp2
    > How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if
    > the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully
    >

    > "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    >
    >> I'd like to go back to SP1......could I have a link
    >> to Microsoft's article on doing this? Thank you.

    Thank you, Taur. Not really going to help me, first
    reasding indicates, but still informative. My situation
    is that SP2 installed fine, and than was corrupted by
    removing the folder \Symantec Shared in the process of
    removing Norton System Works 2004, and now the Start>>Search
    part of XP loads only part way.

    William B. Lurie

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:49:53 -0500, William B. Lurie wrote:

    > The reason I want to go back is to be able to install RC,
    > and I have no Install CD that's modern enough, so I wanted
    > to fall back to SP1.....

    Haven't tried any of these but there are a few workarounds described at
    Michael Stevens' site for getting Recovery Console installed after SP2 is
    already present:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#RC

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Sharon F wrote:
    > On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:49:53 -0500, William B. Lurie wrote:
    >

    >>The reason I want to go back is to be able to install RC,
    >>and I have no Install CD that's modern enough, so I wanted
    >>to fall back to SP1.....
    >

    > Haven't tried any of these but there are a few workarounds described at
    > Michael Stevens' site for getting Recovery Console installed after SP2 is
    > already present:
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#RC

    Thanks, Sharon; I'll check it out.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    Sharon F wrote:

    > On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:49:53 -0500, William B. Lurie wrote:
    >

    >>The reason I want to go back is to be able to install RC,
    >>and I have no Install CD that's modern enough, so I wanted
    >>to fall back to SP1.....
    >

    > Haven't tried any of these but there are a few workarounds described at
    > Michael Stevens' site for getting Recovery Console installed after SP2 is
    > already present:
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#RC

    Thank you, Sharon. I copied out these instructions

    # Open a command prompt in the folder containing the SP2 installer
    and type
    WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe -x
    Choose a folder to extract the files to eg c:\SP2files
    # Make a backup of the file winnt32.exe in c:\windows\i386
    # Replace the winnt32.exe file in c:\windows\i386 with the identically
    named file in C:\sp2files\i386 (or in the i386 folder in the folder where
    you extracted the files)
    # Open a command prompt at c:\windows\i386
    Type winnt32.exe /cmdcons
    Recovery Console should install
    (Ignore the first error message, if any)
    # Replace the winnt32.exe in c:\windows\i386 with its original version
    (created in step 2)

    but I'm afraid they aren't quite specific enough for me.
    Yes, I have the full SP2 CD from Microsoft so I surely
    have the full starter set. But I don't know what he means by
    the first line. Do I put the CD in place, type that in the
    "run" window? And will it extract the files and ask me where
    to save them? The rest I do understand.
    Thanks.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    William B. Lurie wrote:
    > Sharon F wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:49:53 -0500, William B. Lurie wrote:
    >>

    >>> The reason I want to go back is to be able to install RC,
    >>> and I have no Install CD that's modern enough, so I wanted
    >>> to fall back to SP1.....
    >>

    >> Haven't tried any of these but there are a few workarounds described at
    >> Michael Stevens' site for getting Recovery Console installed after SP2 is
    >> already present: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#RC
    >>

    > Thank you, Sharon. I copied out these instructions
    >
    > # Open a command prompt in the folder containing the SP2 installer
    > and type
    > WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe -x
    > Choose a folder to extract the files to eg c:\SP2files
    > # Make a backup of the file winnt32.exe in c:\windows\i386
    > # Replace the winnt32.exe file in c:\windows\i386 with the identically
    > named file in C:\sp2files\i386 (or in the i386 folder in the folder where
    > you extracted the files)
    > # Open a command prompt at c:\windows\i386
    > Type winnt32.exe /cmdcons
    > Recovery Console should install
    > (Ignore the first error message, if any)
    > # Replace the winnt32.exe in c:\windows\i386 with its original version
    > (created in step 2)
    >
    > but I'm afraid they aren't quite specific enough for me.
    > Yes, I have the full SP2 CD from Microsoft so I surely
    > have the full starter set. But I don't know what he means by
    > the first line. Do I put the CD in place, type that in the
    > "run" window? And will it extract the files and ask me where
    > to save them? The rest I do understand.
    > Thanks.

    Not specific enough??? Why in the hell don't you try it and see what
    happens? Where is the SP2 installer? It's on the SP2 CD. Open a
    command prompt at the root of the CD and do what the instructions say to
    do. You're the only one who has ever posted here who was given
    line-by-line detailed instructions and then complained that they weren't
    specific enough--congratulations.

    Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:
    > William B. Lurie wrote:
    >
    >> Sharon F wrote:

    >>> Haven't tried any of these but there are a few workarounds described at
    >>> Michael Stevens' site for getting Recovery Console installed after
    >>> SP2 is
    >>> already present: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#RC
    >>>

    >> Thank you, Sharon. I copied out these instructions
    >>
    >> # Open a command prompt in the folder containing the SP2 installer
    >> and type
    >> WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe -x
    >> Choose a folder to extract the files to eg c:\SP2files
    >> # Make a backup of the file winnt32.exe in c:\windows\i386
    >> # Replace the winnt32.exe file in c:\windows\i386 with the identically
    >> named file in C:\sp2files\i386 (or in the i386 folder in the folder where
    >> you extracted the files)
    >> # Open a command prompt at c:\windows\i386
    >> Type winnt32.exe /cmdcons
    >> Recovery Console should install
    >> (Ignore the first error message, if any)
    >> # Replace the winnt32.exe in c:\windows\i386 with its original version
    >> (created in step 2)
    >>
    >> but I'm afraid they aren't quite specific enough for me.
    >> Yes, I have the full SP2 CD from Microsoft so I surely
    >> have the full starter set. But I don't know what he means by
    >> the first line. Do I put the CD in place, type that in the
    >> "run" window? And will it extract the files and ask me where
    >> to save them? The rest I do understand.
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Not specific enough??? Why in the hell don't you try it and see what
    > happens? Where is the SP2 installer? It's on the SP2 CD. Open a
    > command prompt at the root of the CD and do what the instructions say to
    > do. You're the only one who has ever posted here who was given
    > line-by-line detailed instructions and then complained that they weren't
    > specific enough--congratulations.
    Sorry, I need something more specific. For the effort of shooting
    off your big mouth uselessly, you could have answered constructively.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 21:18:57 -0500, William B. Lurie wrote:

    > # Open a command prompt in the folder containing the SP2 installer
    > and type
    > WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe -x
    > Choose a folder to extract the files to eg c:\SP2files

    William, the directions are written for use with the download of SP2 - not
    the SP2 CD.
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Sharon F wrote:
    > On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 21:18:57 -0500, William B. Lurie wrote:
    >

    >># Open a command prompt in the folder containing the SP2 installer
    >>and type
    >>WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe -x
    >>Choose a folder to extract the files to eg c:\SP2files
    >

    > William, the directions are written for use with the download of SP2 - not
    > the SP2 CD.

    I have the download and used it as described, and it
    worked as expected. With that big a download, I felt
    I'd be safer using the genuine article that Microsoft
    mailed to me. Thanks for your help.

    --
    William B. Lurie

Microsoft Windows XP