Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Hello people,

I am in some serious need of help:

System:

Intel Core 2 Duo 6300 (not overclocked)
Hyper 580w Modular 12v PSU
Geforce 7950GX2 (Not Overclocked)
Geil Ultra DDR2 800 2x512 (Not Overclocked)
Gigabyte DS3 Motherboard (Bios F6)

Ok, i can sometimes run through:

Sis Sandra stress Test
3DMark
Everest Stress Test

But sometimes it crashes, reboots, blue screen, never on the same component (i.e mem, psu, cpu etc)

I've tried several combinations of F6/F7 with all nvidia drivers: 91.33, 91.47 (or 45), 92.xx.

I cannot figure out what is going wrong, i did overclock my pc using THIS Guide (got my cpu too: 2.7ghz 58c, and i had exact same unstabilty as i have with everything not overclocked.

I do not have a floppy drive or nero to get memtest working ( i dont know if it is possible to do it using windows burner?).

Temps all seem fine in the pc, cpu fan is always on max, HD's arnt clicking or plying up.. i cannot think what the problem is..how ever i do get a almost reversing wining sound (not very load) every now and again (not sure what is making this noise).

p.s even when windows isnt doing anything, i can just leave it and after a while it will just freeze up, i cant get though a DVD with out it crashing either.

Can anyone help?

UC7

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Wow, sorry to hear about that problem. The first thing that came to mind was that the CPU was probably overheating during CPU "increase" applications, but you say that you have been watching the temp.

Are you watching the temp only at the boot? or is it something that you gauge during use also?

I have no experience with that graphics card, but I am sure someone on this forum can help to see if there are any potential problems. You said that you had the latest drivers, so I can't imagine there being anything wrong there.

You say that you have 2 memory sticks. Even though you are running dual channel right now, you have the option of removing one of the sticks and testing the other in single channel mode. This could tell you if there is a problem with one of them - without needing the memtest, if it is unavailable to you.

The weird thing is.. this sounds like a driver problem. Do you get the blue screen of death with a log of the error? This can point you in the direction of the driver responsible.

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
yeh, i do monitor the temps, using core temp, also everest, it only went to 60 when i tried overclocking , but then it didnt restet, and i think that everest is a couple of degrees to high, ocmpared to easytune, and coretemp.

i did get error message in the blue screen, is there any way i can retrieve the eroor message stored in windows? eventlog?

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Ok, i have a bit of progress, i have now figured that everytime i watch a DVD at random times it reboots my after a while. Maybe this could be to do with my IDE cable? :?

UC7

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
It likely has more to do with the driver that is running the DVD playback. Maybe there is interference from another driver?

I really wouldn't know for sure, but I wonder if you watch movies using the Windows Media Player, or some secondary player like PowerDVD, or WinDVD.

If you use a secondary player, try watching it with Windows Media Player to see if the same thing happens. If not, then it is something about the secondary player.

If you just use Windows Media Player, make sure that you download the update. Not because of problems with an older version, but it might install a new driver that could correct the problem without having to dig deeper into the details.

Maybe not all that helpful, but worth a thought.

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I only have one drive, a NEC DVD RW dual layer 16 speed, i use VLC player, and have the latest codecs, i have not tried it on windows media player, but i will try and report the news.

UC7

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Memory testing is a good idea, but I would still seriously consider that you have a conflict that occuring DVD playback. I have read about codec conflicts that can be caused by many things.

Sometimes people were even finding that installing Nvidia's PureVideo Decoder started their problems. They apparently had some sort of conflict with the codecs.

You could try reinstalling a codec package also, if all else fails, but I think insalling Windows Media Player 10 gives you that - not sure. I know that windows codec package is here:

Codec Package website

cd14

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Start with just the basics, no CDROM drives, no floppy, etc. Just your bootable drive. Find a self bootable benchmarking program and run that (search for one on the net) oh try Ultimate Boot Disk. This will single out Windows.

Also try one stick of ram at a time and make sure it's seated corrected. Hope this helps.

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Ok, installed wmp beta 2, crashes, i have not taken out my sound card (xfi pro elite) and am installing onboard osund to see if it still crashes.

I will also try memory testing.

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks to everyone who tried helping me with this problem, i believe i have pretty much fixed it, it was 2 things, i bad hd and a bad stick of ram.