godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Anyway I recieved the components on monday (after waiting a month for them to arrive) and i assemled the computer on tuesday with windows xp.

core 2 duo e6600
HIS 1900gt (ICEQ3)
gigabyte965p-ds4
seagate 7200.10 320gb
enermax liberty 500w.
(EDIT)generi 512mb ddr2 533 mhz @4-4-4-12 (1.8v i think as its generic at 533mhz)

The problem is that the system will turn on and work fine but othe times it wont even post, this means i dont get any beep codes. Although i did once get a beep code that meant it was a power isue for a few times, but that seems to have gone away. Due to the fact that there seems to be no power (as the fans dont turn one and i dont get any beep codes) it could be the psu.

Please help, I suppose this is a power failuiure as the motherboard suggested however it is a reliable psu so im not quite sure. :?

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
please help i only have half an hour tonight probably then ill have to wait until tommorrow evening before i can get infront of both computers the new one is in front of me atm.
anyone?.... :roll:

Criminal89

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Have you tried clearing the cmos? I know it is something simple, but I have seen it cure some strange problems in the past. Also, if you believe it is the power supply, then you should start there. If you have a spare laying around, hook it up and see if the problem continues.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
clearing CMOS ddin't work but i diddnt think it would because i cant get it to post anymore :(

checked the power jumper (and other jumpers eg hdd jumper etc)
didnt work, anyway i had alredy fiddled about with the jumpers a few times beforeto try and get it to work.

When you say flash the bios you mean get the floppy and do it like yeah? Problem is that the system itself (fans, psu fan, everything) won't turn on :(

it worked before but only a few times, now most of the time it doesn't now (last 20 odd times) i guess nothing was DOA. :)

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
checked the other 350w psu on just the motherboard, ram and cpu (+hs/f) didn't work...
could it thus be some issue with the motherboard? JUmper issue, although itt works sometimes? :?

SPARTAN-117

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
You're probably right with it being the PSU, check your PSU's owner's manual to see if your motherboard is compatiable with your PSU. I've got a PC Power & Cooling 510w PSU (actually its a 650w but its rated for continuous use at 50 C and up) and in the manual there's a list of none compatiable motherboards. Also, if you have a 20+/-4 pin connection from the PSU for the motherboard that can cause problems. I know that one of the major complaints with ASUS ATX 2.0 compliant motherboards is that a 20+/-4 pin connection causes system instabilities.

If your fans and other items turn on your PSU might not be to blame, but be sure for future builds to use straight pin connections (i.e. no 20+/-4 pin PSU motherboard connection).

As others have and probably will say again: check your jumpers, reset the CMOS, check all your power connections, and if necessary do a BIOS update.

Just to be sure that it isn't a PSU issue try the following:

1. Pull out all non-essential hardware and strip it back to basics: CPU, VGA, 1 HDD, 1 stick of RAM. If you have POST issues change RAM sticks, could be bad RAM.

2. If you have an EPS 8 pin supplemental power connection (located near CPU socket) an adapter is in order. Most PSU's have a 4 pin connector.

3. If you have a SATA HDD jiggle the wire on the back of the HDD and on the motherboard interface itself. Also, if your SATA HDD supports it, use a 4 pin power connector instead of the avaliable SATA connector. This was what was causing problems with my PC after I first assembled it.

4. If your motherboard has an onboard SLi or Crossfire controller card, make sure that it is set for the correct VGA configuration. My first ASUS board came with it set for SLi and I think that's what fried it the first time I turned my PC on.

5. If nothing is turning on when you push the button, including the fan inside of your PSU and your jumpers are correct, then you need to have someone look at your PSU to determine if it's bad and if it checks out then it is your motherboard most likely.

6. If you've overclocked your CPU/motherboard/VGA, reset all speeds to factory settings. This will help alot.

I've noticed that you have a Core 2 Duo and an X-1900 GT. These 2 components together account for about 300 watts of the avaliable power your PSU has. Don't get me wrong Core 2 Duo is efficient on a per core basis power wise but not as a whole. Core 2 Duo pulls about 65-80 watts (total) and that X-1900 GT is pulling around 200 watts. Could just be that your PSU isn't big enough for your system.

Just be patient, calm, relaxed, and keep diagnosing it and you'll get it fixed.

------------------

My system:

AMD 64 X2 3800+ OC'ed to 2.2 Ghz, BFG 7900 GTX 512 mb OC'ed, ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe, 2 Gb Kingston Value RAM CAS Latency 2.5-3-3-6, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 4, Westen Digital 74 Gb Raptor ADFD, 2x Western Digital 250 Gb Caviar SE, 3x Thermaltake Hardcano 14 HDD coolers, Thermaltake Blue Orb II CPU cooler, Zalman VF-Cu 900 Blue LED VGA cooler, Thermaltake Extreme Spirit Northbridge cooler, and a PC Power & Cooling 510w PSU. :eek:

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
okay i think this will be my last post of the day *yawn* LOL

Okay:

1.enermax liberty psus have, like you said, a 20+4pin atx connection, which is now standard.
2. I am using a 4+4 pin 12v connector for cpu power.
3.only have one stick of generic (eww) ram at the moment :(, have tried the mb+ram+cpu test already, it didn't turn on again :(
4. sata seagate cuddas only have one sata power connection - no 4 pin mol;ex connection jigled with it and still nothing :(
5.Ive put the graphics into the primary x16 slot (works at x16 link, not the x4 one). Putting the graphics card in the wrong slot wont fry the mobo, it was probably something else :wink:
6. alredy cleared cmos so all settings are reset, though i haven't had the time to overclock yet (and the comp wont boot/post/work :lol: )

7.core 2 duo uses 65w max, it will use less at idle, unless you overclock and mess with voltages etc (as long as you leave it under 1.35v it should use less or around than 65w max i believe)
a 1900gt is not a power hog, though i know it uses more than 75w because it needs 6pin additional pcie power. It will not use 200w. Anyway i have a 500w psu, which in this situation is overkill, almost. :wink:

thanks for the help, anyone else wanna volunteer? :) please help me im stranded on my P4 (which uses more than 100w btw :wink: )

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Ok. What ram are you using??? and have you gotten windows to install??? I have a DS3 board and I had to up the voltage on the ram like .2v to get the windows to install completely without freezing. I have OCZ ram.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
cheapy generic ram i guess (when it starts) boots @ 1.8v , the default voltage for ddr2 ram. And as its generic i guess it would keept o ddr2 spec... :(

it boots fine sometimes and other times it doesn't most often than not, its only booted twice today awww!!

whats wrong?!?!?!??! :twisted:

ok calm down calm down godman.... few okie :)

thats enough for me tonight, night everyone, thanks for the help, 'i'll be back' :lol:

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
no unforntunatly, the only motherboard that i know of that lets you turn on from the motherbord is the intel bad axe 2 :(

i thought it could also be the case switch, i'll try annother swtch tommorrow if i can :), again thanks for the input, keep it up

..please :D...

MCGTech

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
oh and iut has enough amperage

dual 12v rails @ 22a each = 32amps on 12v rails

Try booting without the video card. If it powers up, you have a clue... bad card or still a possible problem with the PSU. Do you or a friend have a PCI video card you can try?

MCGTech

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
no unforntunatly, the only motherboard that i know of that lets you turn on from the motherbord is the intel bad axe 2 :(

i thought it could also be the case switch, i'll try annother swtch tommorrow if i can :), again thanks for the input, keep it up

..please :D...

you can short the two pins on the motherboard where the power button is connected. Just touch them with a screwdriver briefly

SPARTAN-117

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
I didn't put the VGA in the second slot on my PC. ASUS makes what they call an E-Z Selector so that you can swith from Single to SLi faster. I don't know if Crossfire motherboards have the same thing, but on an ASUS board if the selector is set wrong the motherboard won't boot and could cause a hardware failure says so in the owners manual. Now on my ASUS SLi board the selector card lays flat on the board between the 2 PCI-E x16 slots, I'm pretty sure that Crossfire dosen't require it but never hurts to check.

Sorry about the wattages those were for Core 2 Duo extremes and an X-1900XTX. :roll:

One suggestion though, read reviews of your motherboard and see if anyone has had problems with 20+/-4 pin mainboard connections because several of my friends had problems with them causing boot failures due to improper usage of the voltages and the switch to a straight 24 pin or 20 pin connection fixed the problem. :wink:

--------------

My System:

AMD 64 X2 3800+ OC'ed to 2.2 Ghz, BFG 7900 GTX 512 mb OC'ed, ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe, 2 Gb Kingston Value RAM CAS Latency 2.5-3-3-6, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 4, Westen Digital 74 Gb Ratop ADFD, 2x Western Digital 250 Gb Caviar SE, 3x Thermaltake Hardcano 14 HDD coolers, Thermaltake Blue Orb II CPU cooler, Zalman VF-Cu 900 Blue LED VGA cooler, Thermaltake Extreme Spirit Northbridge cooler, and a PC Power & Cooling 510w PSU.

The Enermax Liberty is a modular PSU. Double check the cable hookups on the PSU itself. Try to boot with just CPU, if you get beep codes boot with CPU + RAM, if you get beep codes then boot with CPU + RAM + VGA. Also, make sure you didn't mix up one of the 4-pin plugs, there should be three of them... 2 for the CPU power and one for the 20+4 main.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
okay I've put the cables in each of their respectable positions, i've put them in the right places.

Okay tried the VGA card change idea, didn't work. Tried booting with no VGA, ddin't work. Tried and tried again, it didn't work :(

Tried changing the front pannel jumper power switch, again with no prevail.

you can short the two pins on the motherboard where the power button is connected. Just touch them with a screwdriver briefly

didn't work. Just any old screwdrive right, obivously as long as it is metal and can conduct electricity, i guess... :) . didn't work...

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
im prettysure it's the psu, because if you connect it to for example, my dvd rom drive ONLY, it doesn't turn on, usually it would work, *

*NB: noitce that ths is only thing conected to the psu, i will test using a multimeter to see if there is any voltage/current coming from the molexconnector and 20+4 pin connectors in a bit. :)

Hopefully this'll prove whether the psu is dead or not, eg if its dead no voltage/curent should be produced right? :)

And then i can RMA it if its broke and not have to cycle through each peice of harware :)

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
sorry about that i'll change it, i actually have ram, 512mb generic 533mhz @4-4-4-12. its the only ddr2 i have, its from my other PC)

oops, thouh that cant be the problm seeing as you should stilget a bep code to say that you have faulty ram....

what is he problem?!?!?!PSu i think, i'm quite sure, i need to test this further you see im guessing it could have been short ciricted and thereforeno current/ voltage is flowwing.

(I guess)

EDIT:

After testing, i found that no voltage and no current was being outputted by the psu, and i believe it to be broken, i need to get a new power supply unit. :( The enermax liberty 500w cost £70 now i dont have much money left seeing as i upgraded my e6400 to a e6600... :( (£60 more !!!!!)

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Does anyone know if the this PSU is good:

Thermaltake PSU for graphics

I am planning on getting one of these for the 1900gt, will 21A be enough current on the 12v rail. Oh and i guess this is no different ot the crossfire model, seeing as there are two different models for crossfire and sli. :)

So now the 'power hungry+current hungry' part is out of the system is out of the main psu, i would buy a cheap okayish quality psu from thermaltake (value TR2 series). :?

Does anyone know if the purepower express 250w will deliver all the power the graphics card needs?
Or will it still suck 75w of power from the psice slot (connected to the main psu ),therefore meaning th majority of power ill be coming from the main psu - not the 250w scondary psu? :?

Or will it still suck 75w of power from the psice slot (connected to the main psu ),therefore meaning th majority of power ill be coming from the main psu - not the 250w scondary psu?
Yes it will.
I think that external video card power supply is a bad idea and a waste of your money comparted to getting a decent PSU in the first place.

cheap okayish quality psu
Is there really such a thing?
Why can't you just exchange the broke Enermax Liberty 500w for a working one?