Gigabyte memory requirement.

LiftOff

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2005
I'd like to get the 965P DS3. The spec's on the board requires DDR2 800, 1.8v memory, with 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 timing.

I don't plan to OC. Not a gamer. I was trying to keep the cost down by going with DDR2 667, noting that others are doing it. My problem is finding 667 that runs on 1.8v with 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 timing. Is there such an animal? I'd like to get somewhat 'good' memory, but don't want to pay top dollar for a name.

Is the 1.8v absolute. Can I get away with 1.9v. I don't want to buy into a problem where the MOBO won't post. How steadfast is the board timing requirement?

All comments and education is appreciated.

Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Those are base specifications, you can run 1.9v 667 CAS4 if you want, etc.

Early BIOS had problems mostly with OCZ RAM, but a few other models were also affected.

The board works well with DDR2-800 as well, but here comes the explaination:

MOST DDR2-667 and DDR2-800 is programed as DDR2-533 CAS4 or CAS5 so that the system can boot at 1.80V. You enter BIOS and MANUALLY raise the voltage, and this allows you to then MANUALLY raise the clock speed or lower the timings.

What you pay for in the "fast" RAM is a guarantee that it will run stabley at an overclocked setting. You know overclocking, raise the voltage, then raise the speed?

OCZ's SPD values have been just a little tight at 1.80V, and can cause boot issues on some boards such as yours with early BIOS releases.

For performance, 533 data rate at 3-3-3-6 in dual-channel mode is almost ideal. 667 at 3-3-3-6 is "quicker" because the cycle time goes down as the speed goes up.

Basically, except for a few specific models, you have little to worry about. I'd probably go with Ballistix DDR2-667 CAS3, but at $347 for a 2GB pair you might be scared off.

It's a good thing I don't have to pay for this stuff.