Confused_Chimp

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
I have been running my system since Janurary this year and over the few months seems to have become unstable, syptoms include BSOD, programs crashing regularly, occassionally Win XP will crash, the computer crashing and rebooting itself etc.
My rig is:
AMD 64 X2 4400
Asus A8N32-SLI/Deluxe
OCZ® Platinum Series 2GB DDR PC3200 400Mhz
Creative X-FI
XFX Geforce 7800GT 256mb

I have run memtest and got lots of errors, which I wan't happy about. I've contacted the supplier I got my memory from and I can return it, but I want to make sure that there isn't any chance that I'm wrong as I maybe without the RAM for 30 days and therefore no system for a month!
If I'm wrong about the ram then they'll probably charge me as well.
My system has never been overclocked at all, everything running at its default speeds.
Is there anything that may cause memtest to have problems or report errors when there isn't any.
Last time i ran memtest it got part way through test 4 (I think) and crashed.
Any help most appreciated.
Cheers
CC

Mondoman

Splendid
What are your CPU, system, and any other temps, both at idle and under load (or just before crashes happen)? What brand and model number power supply are you using (you're using a high-power CPU and a high-power graphics card)?

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
If your RAM speeds are set "By SPD" (Automatically in the BIOS - i.e. NOT OVERCLOCKED) then a solid WEEK of MEMTEST86 (The boot-from-floppy version, not the windows version. Windows can NOT be running when ram is tested) should result in no errors.

ONE error is a week of testing is not acceptable, and means BAD RAM.

RAM MUST BE 100% RELIABLE.

99.9999999999999% IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Confused_Chimp

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
My PSU is 600w Seasonic S12
temperatures:
idle (well while replying here and playing mp3's) in Degrees C:
CPU - 41
MB - 41

Under Load:
Unsure exactly, but I think around 65ish for both.
I generally don't pay too much attension to them I have to say.

CRashes happen more often when underload, but also happen when under low usage as well.

Cheers
CC

Mondoman

Splendid
Before RMAing the RAM, it's worthwhile to unplug and reinstall the RAM, plug-in cards, power connectors, data cables, etc. Sometimes an almost-but-not-quite-fully-seated connector can loosen up a bit over time. Remember that when you install your RAM, you should hear a clicking noise as the plastic sidearms lock into place.

jelly1228

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Dont deal with the supplier, call OCZ. You will have faster return time and you have a lifetime warranty from OCZ. I had to RMA my ram in my signature it took a week from shiping the ram to them til I had them back in my computer. Plus if you ask they will pay for the shipping! :lol:

redwing

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
Before you run any more tests or consider returning it, be sure that the settings that your bios detected correspond to what OCZ states for your ram.

These include (but are not limited to) : voltage, cas/ras settings, speed.

Most people naturally assume that their modern motherboard will auto-detect everything for them and all they have to do is play with the fsb to increase system performance. Sadly that's not always the case.

Sometimes a motherboard will undervolt your ram, making it unstable, even though it could be 100% reliable when operated within specs.

Find the description for your ram (or contact the manufacturer), and find out what voltage and column/row address strobe setup times are recommended. You might find that your bios settings differ.
This is more common with ddr2 memory, but I dont rule out the possibility that your motherboard could have wrongly auto-detected your ram.

Good luck,

Cheers

dagonoth

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
The only time that I've had ram errors occur with memtest when the ram was perfectly fine is when the ram voltages were too low. It could be a problem with your motherboard not providing enough power to your ram.