Sign in with
Your question

What's a good case in the sub $100 range?

Last response: in Components
October 18, 2006 9:31:47 PM

I might have to get a new case because it seems that there's a short in there somewhere. I would try to go through Ultra's warranty, but I don't know if they'll exchange it as the case has a few dings and one of the holes for a thumb screw in the rear (that holds the side panel) is stripped out.

I like the case because of it's simple, elegant design and the high gloss finish. But a lot of people here seem to hate Ultra. The cases you guys do like (like the P160 and Armor, two of the more common ones I've seen being recommended), I find too expensive and absolutely ulgy. I do like the Antec P180 but there's no side window and it's a bit expensive.

So I'm checking to see if there's something better. If not, then I'm buying the same case again (except in silver maybe).

I already have everything so I need something that'll fit what I already have and a few more things.

Features I'm looking for:
>$100 range (before rebates and shipping)
>Mid or Full tower, ATX form factor
>At least 2 external 5.25" bays and 2 3.5" bays*
>At least 4 5.25" internal bays* (but would like 5 or more)
>7 expansion slots
>Large side window
>No LEDs or lights, or if it does have them then I'd like for them to be removable
>Front bezel
>Aluminum or mostly aluminum and some steel
>No PS (since I already have one)

I put an * by the most important things. The case doesn't have to meet all the criteria but the more criteria it meets, the better.

Current candidates:
Ultra Aluminus (again): http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
RAIDMAX X1 ATX-909WBP: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
Raidmax Sagitta: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

More about : good case 100 range

October 18, 2006 10:48:16 PM

Antec Sonata II
Highly recommend
Comes with a pretty decent psu. Not the greatest, but good enough

Rosewill R6A34-SL
This case uses drive rails, some peeps like em, some don't, it's a matter of preference.
Read my review...it's the 3rd one down...and one of the only ones that matter :p 
Related resources
October 18, 2006 10:57:25 PM

I've looked at all of the cases mentioned above... and wasn't too please with any of them.

Apevia: way too flashy and too much blue. I love the case, it's very nice but I hate blue LEDs. Everybody uses blue it seems.

The rest of them look too small IMO. I hide nearly all of my wires so I need something with a decent amount of working room. I do like that Centurion 5 though... if the window version had a bigger window, I'd go for that no questions asked.
a b ) Power supply
October 18, 2006 11:06:26 PM

How about this bad boy:

ThermalRock Circle Case by Thermaltake $98

Also, the other poster mentioned CoolerMaster. Excellent cases, cheap, and stylish (no gaudy bling bling)

BTW, any LED lights in a case... just don't plug in their power if you don't want them.
October 18, 2006 11:24:38 PM

I second (or third or whatever) the Centurion. It was easy to work in. Interesting looking front and I like the way the whole front can draw in air. 2x120mm fans too.

I have a centurion 532.
October 18, 2006 11:50:41 PM

I didn't know that you could keep he LEDs unplugged, that actually opens up more options for me.:) 
October 18, 2006 11:53:55 PM

I have an Antec superlanboy case.....silly name nice case. No power supply but 2 120mm fans means that it is cool and quiet. I love it. :D 
Got mine on sale at compusa for 40 bucks after rebate.
a b ) Power supply
October 18, 2006 11:57:59 PM

Quote:
I didn't know that you could keep he LEDs unplugged, that actually opens up more options for me.:) 

All of the cases that I've had power the LED's with either a standard 4-pin molex or some kind of adapter that plugs into a 4-pin molex.

I hear you with the blue overkill will LED's. I'd like to see more red or green out there. There's plenty of variety with fans, but case LED's are almost always blue. Maybe you could go to Radio Shack and buy a solder iron and some different color LED's. I've been tempted to go all red for an 'evil' look.
October 19, 2006 5:11:51 AM

Quote:

All of the cases that I've had power the LED's with either a standard 4-pin molex or some kind of adapter that plugs into a 4-pin molex.

I hear you with the blue overkill will LED's. I'd like to see more red or green out there. There's plenty of variety with fans, but case LED's are almost always blue. Maybe you could go to Radio Shack and buy a solder iron and some different color LED's. I've been tempted to go all red for an 'evil' look.

Yeah, that's why I like my black Aluminus so much acutally. The black with red cold cathodes look awesome with it!
a b ) Power supply
October 19, 2006 1:43:38 PM

If you like red, here's another one from xoxide.com:

Xoxide X-Fireball PC Case (Black)

I like using newegg's search engine to find things, but for cases I like to go to www.xoxide.com since they don't seem to carry any of the no-name brands and you don't have to sort through the junk to find the good stuff.
!