Microtek i320 - Problem with Scanner or S/W?

saffire

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2004

I recently bought a Microtek i320 scanner because I want to speed up my document
processing and it's a USB 2.0, not to mention it scans at a higher resolution
than my Microtek Scanmakers 3600 and 4800. However, when I use it, it gives me a
lot of trouble. I use Pagis Pro Millenium to scan documents. I've used it on 2
WinXP installations (one with SP1, one with SP2), both of which have USB 2.0
ports. Both computers have up-to-date drivers from Microtek. Pagis works fine
on 3 PCs, but it IS old in computing years (2000, I think).

The i320 usually doesn't start right away, sitting and thinking about it, but
once it starts scanning, it USUALLY doesn't have the long hesitation on
subsequent pages. However, it DOES often hang. If I click Cancel in the
scantool, THEN it will scan -- or not. Other times, it scans, but I only get an
approximately 1" wide band for the length of the page. When it screws up, I
sometimes have to reboot, not because the entire computer is hung, but because I
cannot use the scanner again until I do. The reason I bought it in the first
place was that I became tempted by the higher speed, but having to constantly
fidget with it and reboot MORE than offsets the higher scanning speed.

Any ideas on what the problem might be?

I've been working so intensely on the document project that I didn't even TRY the
scanner on photos yet. At the moment it's packed up to return to the store, but
if there is a simpler solution, I may try that first instead.

Robin Coutellier

In article <MPG.1bae946b77d6910598a04d@news.newsguy.com>,
xsaffireslicethispart@internetcyberplace.com says...

>I recently bought a Microtek i320 scanner because I want to speed up my
>document
>processing and it's a USB 2.0, not to mention it scans at a higher resolution
>than my Microtek Scanmakers 3600 and 4800. However, when I use it, it gives
>me a
>lot of trouble. I use Pagis Pro Millenium to scan documents.

Robin, I dont know what the problem actually is, but I have to say that Pagis
was never redesigned to work with Windows XP (and Millenium wasnt even the
last version). In particular, the Inbox (which is Explorer based) really
doesnt work with XP, and Pagis is past the end of its lifetime now. So I
would suggest (at least as a test) scanning using only ScanWizard directly to
see if the problem symptoms change.

--
Wayne
http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

saffire

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2004

In article <EIedncs5P-oLItjcRVn-rQ@august.net>, nospam@invalid.com says...
> In article <MPG.1bae946b77d6910598a04d@news.newsguy.com>,
> xsaffireslicethispart@internetcyberplace.com says...
> >

> >I recently bought a Microtek i320 scanner because I want to speed up my
> >document
> >processing and it's a USB 2.0, not to mention it scans at a higher resolution
> >than my Microtek Scanmakers 3600 and 4800. However, when I use it, it gives
> >me a
> >lot of trouble. I use Pagis Pro Millenium to scan documents.
>

> Robin, I dont know what the problem actually is, but I have to say that Pagis
> was never redesigned to work with Windows XP (and Millenium wasnt even the
> last version). In particular, the Inbox (which is Explorer based) really
> doesnt work with XP, and Pagis is past the end of its lifetime now. So I
> would suggest (at least as a test) scanning using only ScanWizard directly to
> see if the problem symptoms change.

Thanks, Wayne. I stopped using the Inbox feature of Pagis a long time ago --
there seems to be a recursive problem with it, so I just store the files
elsewhere. I suppose it IS time to upgrade, so I just bought Omnipage 14 off of
eBay :) We'll see ...