Buying and building a basic new PC

SMoot178

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Hello there! I was referred here to ask a few questions about a new PC setup. I am looking for a cheap system but I want to be able to play games like BF2, The Sims 2, Flight Simulator X, etc. I would like to get a new Motherboard, a new CPU and some new RAM. ATM, I have a Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS AGP w/ 512 mb RAM but if a new vid card is a ton of money, what I have now for a vid card will do fine. I have a nice case w/ a 500 W psu in it to power the beast up. I am going to keep the HDD's I have now since I'd rather not have to reinstall windows and everything else I have on a new HDD. If you need more info or would like to help me, please post here. Thanks, have a nice day! EDIT: Ive looked around and is it possible to add a RAID hdd to my system?

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I highly doubt you have an Athlon 2600+ xp in a s939 Motherboard. You have a Socket A CPU. So this will require you for you to get a new mobo of course.
What is your budget?

SPARTAN-117

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
That CPU would be a rareity indeed. Check on the CPU socket itself just to make sure that it's a 939 instead of a 754. If it's a 754, then you're gonna need a new motherboard. Finding a cheap, new motherboard with AGP support is almost impossible. But there are several $100 mothreboards that support RAID (SATA & PATA), SLi, Dual Core CPU's, and 3 Gb/s SATA. My ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe supports these features and is currently $105 on newegg. A BFG 7900 GT video card is $300 and that's much faster than a 7600 GS. You have the right idea and being able to reuse HDD's is helpful. You can actually get a fairly decent setup for under $800. :D

--------------

My System:

AMD 64 X2 3800+ OC'ed to 2.2 Ghz, BFG 7900 GTX 512 mb OC'ed, ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe, 2 Gb Kingston Value RAM CAS Latency 2.5-3-3-6, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 4, Westen Digital 74 Gb Ratop ADFD, 2x Western Digital 250 Gb Caviar SE, 3x Thermaltake Hardcano 14 HDD coolers, Thermaltake Blue Orb II CPU cooler, Zalman VF-Cu 900 Blue LED VGA cooler, Thermaltake Extreme Spirit Northbridge cooler, and a PC Power & Cooling 510w PSU.

purdueguy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Does your video card come with 512MB of RAM or were you referring to your main computer memory.

What is your budget? This would be a big help.

And even though a fresh install of Windows on a clean HDD is preferrable, as long as you have the Windows CD, you can do a repair install. That's what I did a couple of years back on my XP system when I replaced my ECS mobo with my current ASUS mobo.

You shouldn't lose your data but I'd back it up just in case something goes wrong. Even though it's a Windows repair, if I remember correctly, I still had to reinstall every program again because they wouldn't work. But don't quote me on that.

I will assume one thing and that is to keep cost down and to reuse your memory and video card.

CPU: Athlon 3700+ San Diego Socket 939 - $93. Now, if you are into overclocking, then I suggest you getting the OEM part at ewiz.com as they are the cheapest that I could currently find for an OEM 3700. And then get an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro at Monarch for 23 bucks. You'll probably be able to OC it to at least 2.6 GHz and maybe to 2.8 if you are lucky.
Mobo: ASRock 939Dual - $75
Memory: If you already have a gig of main memory then nothing here until you upgrade to VISTA, then you'll need another gig. Otherwise upgrade to one gig. If you have 1x512MB, then get another 1x512MB of the same memory to be on the safe side. If you have 2x256MB, then I suggest you getting 1x1GB stick so you can buy another 1gig stick in the future. You may lose dual-channel but it's only around 10% performance loss for most applications anyway.

So, the total is less than 300 dollars.

SMoot178

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Thanks alot everyone you have ben so helpful. Purdue Guy I just may do that. I would like 2 GB of ram though and a new video card. I may go w/ SPARTAN-117's suggested video card. Would that be compatible with your suggested setup?

Also: My budget would be around $700-800

Another Also: If I have the money I may go SLI. Would anyone be kind enough to comment on the superiorities of going SLI?

TRENDING THREADS