USB 2 capture card with HD input

snoop101

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Hi guys

So im looking for a capture card that can support a HD dish. I want to us my laptop as a tv and have it hooked up to the HD dish. Has anyone done this? what card is best?

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
of course there are exists dvb-s card for usb.
i use technotrend cardbut not in usb.
www.dvbshop.net
here is the link go on and chech fro dvb-s card for usb.
i recommend use an technotred usb card..

snoop101

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Ok the only thing is im looking for one that can support a High definition dish.

so here is as follows...

High def dish --> high def receiver --> usb 2 card --> computer --> monitor

snoop101

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Its for a laptop. the dish and reciever is already hooked up. So sometimes it will be on the laptop and sometimes on the tv. Just dont want to loose the HD signal when its hooked up to a laptop.

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Yes those cards will pick up free satalite broadcast buy they will not receive encrypted Dish Network or other paid satalite programing. This is why you need a receiver. Once again it dosn't have to be an HD tuner to receive the signal from the box. As long as the USB tuner has A/V (yello, red, and white cables), S-video, or what ever connectors you plan to use from the Sat receiver to the USB tuner. You will be fine. There are HD USB tuners out there that will receive digital OTA broadcast and free satalite broadcast but you don't really need to spend the exstra money on that with what your trying to do.

I agree, but I think the OP wants to capture the video from his satellite dish in its full Hi-Def resolution. As far as I know this isn't possible yet, correct?

snoop101

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Ya 800x600 is probably going to be the best I can find. Its going to be on a laptop anyways so it should be just fine. I just need to find a good usb 2 capture card with component inputs. S-video and below would suck. Kinda crappy non have a dvi input yet.

rad333

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009

Hey Snoop - did you ever find a solution? I am trying to do the exact same, except I ALSO want to be able to play back on the HD TV (not just the laptop). The reason for getting it off the DVR is for backup and safe keeping, as the drive has crashed and I lost everything.

rad333

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009

G

Hey I'm trying to do the exact same thing as well except using digital cable.

I have it hooked up and am using windows media center.
I am getting all the channels (even the HD channels) but they're not in HD resolution since the only input my computer has is svideo and coax. LAME.
WTF is up with not putting HD inputs on computers? Only outdated standard def inputs and HD outputs.

anyway... my set up is like this:

digital coax out of the wall->into the digital reciever->coaxial out (this is where i loose the HD)->into the laptop->vga out to a projector (no the projector doesn't have hd input other than vga)

so cable->box->laptop->vga projector.

we do need the box in there too, i tried it without. it couldn't decode the signals. This is one area for a solution. Is there anyway get windows media center to decode raw digital signals without the box. ...doubt it.

OR is there any external HD tuners available that would let me feed HDMI or componet HD signals into USB.

OR a converter from HDMI or component to VGA. I could use this to skip the computer completly- hdmi out the cable box to the converter to vga in the projector.
I'm assuming there's no HDMI or component to coax or svideo that wouldn't loose the HD quality.

cable boxes should also have a VGA output. that would give every monitor ever made more value by turning it into a small hd screen.

Man i'm screwed i think. don't think any of these things exist. C'MON! this is 2009! Why is this complicated???

Anybody know anything? got a VGA-only HD projector.

box: cable input, HDMI Component HD outputs, svideo and coax SD outputs
computer: coax and svideo SD inputs