The Million Dollar question?

ddemaray

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
I have several HP and Compaq computers that I wish to overclock but when I go into the bios I am not able to change the multiplier, frequency, voltage, etc.

Dont ask me why I bought these computers as apposed to building my own. It was a stupid decision. They are primarily work computers not for gaming. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appriciated.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Your SOL man. Even if you could find a bios that could OC, the mobo's can't handle it. Even if the mobo could handle it, I doubt the memory would stand up to it. Even if the memory works, I doubt the system can take the increase power needed. Even if the PSU can handle it, the heat will fry everything else.

Retailers have too many years of stupidity over you. Sorry man.

^^ WTF???

The mobos are usualy near factory production of standalone boards... such as Asus, and gigabyte. They bios limits what the can and can not do... and the RAM is fine. The heatsinks are standard air cooling like if you had purchased the CPU directly. The PSUs arnt the most powerfull, but they are designed to get the job done.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I have several HP and Compaq computers that I wish to overclock but when I go into the bios I am not able to change the multiplier, frequency, voltage, etc.

Dont ask me why I bought these computers as apposed to building my own. It was a stupid decision. They are primarily work computers not for gaming. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appriciated.

Think about it from a warranty perspective... if average users WERE allowed to overclock those systems, plenty would be destroyed due to heat and overvolting... and thus increase returns and customer dissatisfaction. People in the know do not buy those computers because they recognize their limitations... for the rest they do just fine (generally speaking)

Caveat emptor!

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I'm fairly certain that everything these companies build are on a budget. The mobos that top tier manfacturers make and sell to us are definitly not the same they sell to system integrators. They would sell them cheapy mass-produced models because the integrators knows the masses won't try anything with them. Why would they sell a better mobo in their computers when nearly 90% of the people wouldn't even know what to do with them...

Same thing with everything else. Better parts cost money, therefore cost cutting is where it is. The PSU's get the job done, but it can it take the extra load of an OC'ed processor? The last thing these companies need is for a guy to OC their processor, blow their PSU, fry their mobo and complain to them that their computers suck. So lock down everything nice and tight because anything more would just cause trouble.

These are only for budget models, the XPS series and higher end probably can take the added strain because they have better design... but the 100 dollar after rebate computers you see in stores... not a chance in hell.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
You cant from the bios. I dont know of specific software that will allow you to though.

Emachines != good OC computer.

When you do the BIOS flash!

I have a 2.8 Northwood 400FSB here. I flashed the BIOS, upped the FSB and came out with a 3.6ghz Northwood! Stock cooling and emachines case, ram etc. Was very suprised, didn't even have to do a voltage increase!

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Interesting, never knew that. Maybe I should have taken that job at Dell after all... shrug. Either way, I'm still not too enthusiastic about fiddling around with pre-built machines like that. Much more confidant if I built it from the hands up and knows exactly how it will behave.

Well folks, you have your answer. I'll let the experts take over from here.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Your SOL man. Even if you could find a bios that could OC, the mobo's can't handle it. Even if the mobo could handle it, I doubt the memory would stand up to it. Even if the memory works, I doubt the system can take the increase power needed. Even if the PSU can handle it, the heat will fry everything else.

Retailers have too many years of stupidity over you. Sorry man.
Amen.
Typing on a completly locked HP.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
The mobos are usualy near factory production of standalone boards... such as Asus, and gigabyte. They bios limits what the can and can not do... and the RAM is fine. The heatsinks are standard air cooling like if you had purchased the CPU directly. The PSUs arnt the most powerfull, but they are designed to get the job done.

1) The RAM is not good enough for overclocking.... unless your ram of choice for overclocking is hynix ddr2 533? OEMs choose RAM that meets the specs for the system at the lowest price, it would not overclock.

2)The heatsinks are NOT standard... ever looked inside of an OEM machine before? Take for example the HP XW4400 Core2Duo Workstation... it is most definitely not the standard Intel solution (the fan is side mounted on the heatsink not on top like the intel is). How well this cooling solution works is up in the air but it may or may not be enough to overclock.

3)Right... the PSU's get the job done, however the post topic is overclocking. Theres a slight difference between getting the job done at stock and at 1.4 times stock.

The point is even if you changed the motherboard you'd probably have to change all of these other parts as well in order to get decent overclocking results.