rubberjohnson

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
Here's my situation, i already have a 7900gs (leadtek oc'd with HDCP) and my brother has a 7900gt (bfg oc'd w/out HDCP) which he is planning on giving me :wink: when he upgrades to a DX10 card.

Does anyone know when using a SLI setup if both graphics cards need to be HDCP enabled to view protected hi-def content? or does only the card connected to the monitor need HDCP?

Also assuming that i flash the BIOS of the 7900gt down to a 7900gs (i know i will lose pipes) will this setup work for regular gaming?

any info/suggestions will be very much appreciated :D

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Here's my situation, i already have a 7900gs (leadtek oc'd with HDCP) and my brother has a 7900gt (bfg oc'd w/out HDCP) which he is planning on giving me :wink: when he upgrades to a DX10 card.

Does anyone know when using a SLI setup if both graphics cards need to be HDCP enabled to view protected hi-def content? or does only the card connected to the monitor need HDCP?

Also assuming that i flash the BIOS of the 7900gt down to a 7900gs (i know i will lose pipes) will this setup work for regular gaming?

any info/suggestions will be very much appreciated :D

good question... my guess ( but it is just a guess) is that you'll be OK if you keep the monitor plugged into the HDCP gpu.

You do know that for HDCP to work you have an HDCP-enabled monitor or tv too, right? If you don't, the image resolution will be artificially lowered so you won't get true HD anyway.

>> Also assuming that i flash the BIOS of the 7900gt down to a 7900gs

Why on earth would you do that? Apart from losing performance for no reason, you might also loose the HDCP too.

rubberjohnson

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
The reason for flashing the 7900gt back to a 7900gs is so that they will work together in SLI.
Correct me if i'm wrong but i didn't think you could use a 7900gt and gs together in a SLI setup? also the 7900gt didn't have HDCP to begin with so i can't lose it. :wink:

And yes i do have a HDCP tv.

rubberjohnson

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
That is awesome news, thanks mate!
i wasn't really looking forward to getting into some warranty voiding mods!

Now if only someone can answer my other question, i know its not something that most people would try from the outset (buying 1 HDCP and 1 non HDCP vid card) but surely someone has the info?

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
OP, you do know that you only need HDCP for Blu-ray/HD-DVD? You don't need HDCP to display anything else in Hi-Def. At least nothing else that I know of. Are you planning ahead for a Hd-dvd player in your computer?

Edit: looked at your original post more carefully and you did mention wanting to view "protected content". Should have read it more carefully :wink: