HELP! No Display!

Nizerifin

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
I have an ATI x1800xt 256mb gpu, by Sapphire. When I plugged in my component cables into the Vivo connection, the screen went black and remains black. Yes, the gpu is plugged in, and the fan is running. When I reboot, I can hear the OS startup in the background, but nothing appears on screen.

Any ideas?

Wit

Nizerifin

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
I cannot get anything to appear onscreen at all, this means that I can't access anything or change anything on my computer. I had my TV hooked to it, but I had unplugged it previously then tried replugging it in. When I did this, the screen went black for good.

Wit

Robb_Jenkinns

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I took off the card and put it back in it's slot, and yeah, I've got nothing on my monitor either.
hey i have the same problem with my new x800 XL.... the card's fan runs, the OS loads up but no signal to the monitor from the gpu..... do 1 thing....try out the card in ur frnds comp and c if its the cards pb or smthing with ur comp's slot...

Nizerifin

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
My bro won't let me put it in his computer, but I did try switching it to the other slot (I have an sli config, but don't use it), and I still just got black. I assume this means that it's not the slot, but I guess it could still be the mobo.

Wit

jthorn

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I am not surprised to read this. ATI cards are not easy to get running. and they seldom work out of the box. Honestly I dont know how they sell so many of them. What other product or service would survive with this type of result? Granted, I know - if you get it running their cards rock.

ATI cards sometimes will not drive the D-sub connection to monitors. I have tried and trieed to get my 9800pro to work with the digital port and cable to the monitor but I waste my time. No information anywhere to help with this problem. I can use the same 9800pro and monitor with the analog cable, only. On another PC, after hassling with driver upgrades from the website (no less than a 2-part download and software install) I got an 800XL to work.

atp777

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I have similar problems with my 9800. It will show the POST screen, show the windows splash screen and when windows loads, the screen goes black. No output from the card. I've reseated it, checked power, used many different drivers, even clean installed windows and nothing works. I have to power off/on the computer many times to get video. It's soo annoying. It does it in my other systems too. My next rig will have nvidia.

jthorn

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I have similar problems with my 9800. It will show the POST screen, show the windows splash screen and when windows loads, the screen goes black. No output from the card. I've reseated it, checked power, used many different drivers, even clean installed windows and nothing works. I have to power off/on the computer many times to get video. It's soo annoying. It does it in my other systems too. My next rig will have nvidia.

Exact description of my problem - if I try to use the digital cable. I toggle the windows display setting between monitor 1 and 2 and fool with the settings for each with no success. TY both ATI and MS for this trouble.

atp777

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Is this the only card you've tried in the system? I would try a differenct card and see if it does the same thing, if not then you know it's the card.

Oh and jthorn, are your cards by any chance Sapphire?

jthorn

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Is this the only card you've tried in the system? I would try a differenct card and see if it does the same thing, if not then you know it's the card.

Oh and jthorn, are your cards by any chance Sapphire?

I have the ATI 9800Pro and also ATI X800XL. No Sapphire.

dagonoth

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I've built dozens of machines with ati cards and I've never had a single problem with them. I've never had to do more work than plug them in and go.

Nizerifin

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Yeah, I'd try another gpu, but I don't have any other pci-express cards to use. I guess I'm just going to send my card back to newegg.

Does anyone know what newegg does with cards that aren't in stock anymore? My x1800xt has phased out and now replaced by the crappier x1800 XL, which is nowhere close in benchmarks.

jthorn

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I am not surprised to read this. ATI cards are not easy to get running.

I'm surprised to read that.

I've tried a ton of Ati cards and haven't had a single problem...

Not all of us are experts. I know you are as I have read enough posts on these forums and I enjoy most all of what you write. But, I count 3 posts on this thread alone where the GPU did not run as expected inlcuding the guy who is about to send his Sapphire back to the egg. And all 3 of us have the same symptom and no fix for it. I am not sure if it is a GPU issue, cable issue, or MS XP issue.

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
if you can get it to post and start loading windows but it goes black i'd try going into safe mode. If you can get in there then yank the drivers out and put new ones in.

if you can't even get into safe mode then I'd feel my chips on the card and see if they're scorching hot, if they are then i'd check to ensure the card isn't overclocked.

when ram chips have gone bad on my cards usually i get lines on the screen but if the first ram chip totally went then you wouldn't get anything on the screen.

usually after fidding with a card for a bit and it won't work I just plug it into another system to eliminate whether or not its my system or the card.

if you left your card on tv mode and now you can't get it to even visibly post i'd plug all 3 back ports in at the same time to see if any of them are outputting (my 9800 has dv, s-vid and vga connectors)

if you still can't get it to work then stick in an older pci card and boot up and try changing your card back t o normal mode via the software.

Nizerifin

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
My computer posts, but I dont see any of it. I can hear in through my speakers. I don't see anything on screen and haven't since I started having issues, despite reboots.

This means I can't change drivers, since I can't see what I'm doing. I don't have another PCI-express card to fix things with, and the card wasn't abnormally hot, and it wasn't overclocked at all. Also, I don't have another system that is PCI-express to plug it into, so I'm kinda screwed as far as the process of elimination goes. All I know is that it's not my monitor, or anything else that is vital to system functionality (since I can hear my OS startup in the speakers.)

Also, I tried getting output through my tv whilst the card was connected... no luck.

One thing that bothered me. I tried to hook up a dvd player with the same component cables, and I think that the dvd player lost sound functionality as a result. I don't know how this could have happened, but I'm sure that this caused it. Could it be that these cables screwed up my card too???

Thanks for the help, btw

Wit

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I did some googling and one fellow said he had a problem with a blank screen and it ended up being his powersupply which had been working before. I think those odds are slim but never know.

A quick way to check the ps is to plug the card into a 2nd power supply and short that ps's power-on wire in it's 20 pin connection (green on mine) to get the power supply started and use it only for the card.

Its possible that your cable could have caused the problem. Earlier this year I had someone trying to connect their PC (nvidea card) to a TV and the cable that should have worked actually had the wrong wire layout inside and needed a couple of them flipped. I guess there is more than one wire layout. Kinda odd.

I'd get a new cable and try that. Obviously the vid card is functioning enough for it to post, pass enumeration, pass driver loading and get into the shell.

The idea of putting an older PCI card in (not pci-e) is because you can remove your pci-e card, boot off the PCI card and set the BIOS to load PCI before AGP then plug the pci-e back in with the PCI booting up first, get into Windows on the PCI card and try to set your pci-e's output back to default (instead of tv out).

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
looooooooooo<cough>ooooooooool.

I remember one time I had a client call because their computer wouldn't start and it was because they unplugged the power cable earlier.

I've had monitors not plugged in, mice not plugged in, harddrive cables not plugged in (for who knows what reason) and someone who managed to plug their floppy drive power connector into their sound blaster's audio in pins.

The good ole' days.

Nizerifin

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
The cable has always worked fine with my gpu. I watch movies on my tv from my computer all the time. I unplugged the cables to watch a dvd on another dvd player, because my computer was heavily loaded at the time (I think I was ripping a movie or something).

Yes, my monitor is on.

Also, unfortunately, I don't have any agp slots on my mobo, so I can't plug in my 9200 in to fix things. :(

cleeve

Illustrious
Not all of us are experts... But, I count 3 posts on this thread alone where the GPU did not run as expected inlcuding the guy who is about to send his Sapphire back to the egg. And all 3 of us have the same symptom and no fix for it. I am not sure if it is a GPU issue, cable issue, or MS XP issue.

I'm not saying nobody is an expert, and I'm not suggesting an issue doesn't exist.

I'm simply saying I'm surprised because I've never personally experienced it and I've used alot of Ati cards.