How to scan and OCR less common fonts?

I have ten-page document written with the font Pyparus that needs to be
scanned. I tried with OmniPage Pro. The result is so bad that I might
as well as retyping the pages. I usually do scanning in grayscale at
150DPI, which gives excellent OCR result for regular documents uses
arial or times. But not in this case with the font Pyparus. Anyone know
a better way to scan? Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about scan common fonts

    In article <2m5kk09q9rtoqbi4jtlgvpv4or5do61hub@4ax.com>,
    best@worsttime.com says...

    >I have ten-page document written with the font Pyparus that needs to be
    >scanned. I tried with OmniPage Pro. The result is so bad that I might
    >as well as retyping the pages. I usually do scanning in grayscale at
    >150DPI, which gives excellent OCR result for regular documents uses
    >arial or times. But not in this case with the font Pyparus. Anyone know
    >a better way to scan? Thanks.

    I dont know how tough a Pyparus font might be for OCR, but in every case,
    the very first thing I would try is 300 dpi (400 dpi if a small font
    size). A TIF file, not JPG (JPG artifacts are tough too). Or just let
    OmniPage scan it, it will use 300 dpi. OmniPage Pro instructions say:

    The ideal resolution for OCR is 300 dpi. Images with less than 200 dpi or
    more than 400 dpi are liable to yield far lower accuracy.

    OmniPage Pro also says:

    If your only criteria is OCR accuracy, prefer black-and-white scanning
    for good quality documents with crisp black text on a white background.
    Choose grayscale scanning if you are scanning pages with text on colored
    or shaded backgrounds, or for degraded documents with low or varied
    contrast.

    However, I find 300 dpi grayscale does very well, esp on less than
    optimum print quality, so I'd try both, at 300 dpi.

    --
    Wayne
    http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

    best <best@worsttime.com> wrote in message news:<2m5kk09q9rtoqbi4jtlgvpv4or5do61hub@4ax.com>...
    > I have ten-page document written with the font Pyparus that needs to be
    > scanned. I tried with OmniPage Pro. The result is so bad that I might
    > as well as retyping the pages. I usually do scanning in grayscale at
    > 150DPI, which gives excellent OCR result for regular documents uses
    > arial or times. But not in this case with the font Pyparus. Anyone know
    > a better way to scan? Thanks.

    Neither my book of fonts nor a Google web search tells me what Pyparus
    looks like, but just as an idea, you could try a handwriting
    recogniser like SimpleOCR which you train to recognise your own
    personal "font". A free trial download from http://www.simpleocr.com/
    will give you 14 days to scan your document. SimpleOCR didn't work
    very well on my scrawl (I decided I can type faster than I can write
    neatly enough), but a more regular font might work better.

    Chris

Scanners Font Peripherals