mpeg converting for ppc: which are the VirtualDub settings?

February 6, 2005 5:46:57 PM

I want convert my mpeg files for using with pockettv with exactly same
videoquality...
for that purpose, is there better programs then VirtaulDub and how are the
settings ?

Thanks

Tuf
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 5:46:58 PM

Reply to message from "Tufan Kartal" <challenger74@hotmail.com> (Sun, 06
Feb 2005 07:46:57) about ""mpeg converting for ppc: which are the
VirtualDub settings?"":

> I want convert my mpeg files for using with pockettv with exactly same
> videoquality...
> for that purpose, is there better programs then VirtaulDub and how are
> the settings ?

" exactly same videoquality" - you have me there. A video file with exactly
the same video quality would be the same size. After all, it is the stream
rate that decides the quality, not size, frames, etc. Lesser frames means
that more of the stream can be used on each remaining frame, but this is
noticeable, and I would have to assume by broad definition of less
"quality". A smaller image will allow the stream provided to have a better
looking image, but visual information will be lost. Text onscreen will show
this very fast (but in most cases still readable if done right)

But, to answer as to what I think is the intent of your question, I have
always liked the settings and processing on tsunami mpeg encoder (tmpgenc)
better than anything else I have used. If you want to tweak the rate/size/
frames/quantization/younameit, then this might be one you want to check
out. By playing with it I have gotten sone very nice looking mpegs at a
nice small size. The settings can vary based on the content, but there are
a lot of details that can be found as a starting point.

Good Luck
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 9:12:25 PM

| If you want to tweak the rate/size/
| frames/quantization/younameit, then this might be one you want to check
| out. By playing with it I have gotten sone very nice looking mpegs at a
| nice small size. The settings can vary based on the content, but there are
| a lot of details that can be found as a starting point.

OK
Now, I've downloaded TMPGenc,
can you tell me plz, the TMPGenc-settings you used?
I'want to convert the content of the first and second parts of a mpeg video
(460 and 445 MB) and store it on my SD (512 MB). It's a 'slow' movie.

Thx

Tuf
February 7, 2005 3:31:23 PM

"Tufan Kartal" <challenger74@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>| If you want to tweak the rate/size/
> | frames/quantization/younameit, then this might be one you want to check
> | out. By playing with it I have gotten sone very nice looking mpegs at a
> | nice small size. The settings can vary based on the content, but there
> are
> | a lot of details that can be found as a starting point.
>
> OK
> Now, I've downloaded TMPGenc,
> can you tell me plz, the TMPGenc-settings you used?
> I'want to convert the content of the first and second parts of a mpeg
> video
> (460 and 445 MB) and store it on my SD (512 MB). It's a 'slow' movie.

Well, without knowing the source or length of video I am not sure what it
would take to make it fit on a 512 m card, but I can give you some general
pointers.

For full screen video on pocket PC (320x240), you need about 350k bitrate to
keep it watchable. You can run a high framerate (29.97), but there will be
some motion pixelation on a busy screen. Still, probably watchable. Audio
set for 44100 hz, stereo with 64k bitrate. This will give you around 3
mb/minute, or on a 512 meg card around 160 minutes.

For portrait sized video (240x192) you can squeeze by with a 200k bit
stream. Again, the framerate can be up with a little pixelation but it does
look smooth.. Keep the 44k stereo, and you will produce ~2 mb/minute, or
roughly 250 minutes on your 512m card.

For a compromise (and something that works fairly well on some DVD video) is
a widescreen resolution, which is 320x176. This will work with a bitrate of
260k okay, and keeping the same audio will net about 2.5 mb/minute. Some
older players will not handle this size very well but Pocket TV and
Betaplayer work fine on an Ipaq.

From here you can vary the screen size, framerate and bit stream to find
something that will work for you better, perhaps. At least it should serve
as a starting point. The key thing is bitrate (which really determines file
size) vs frame size and rate. Also you can imagine what increasing the
bitrate does for the quality of a video, but on a SD card the needs vary
based on length of video you need to put on the card. Shorter video,
increase the bitrate.

I haven't even broached the subject of variable bit rate, as well as adding
another pass to allow it to clean up some of the busier screens at the cost
of encoding time. Sometimes VBR will not be conducive to size saving if it
is a busy screen throughout, but used correctly it has potential. VBR does
require more of the player, and if you are not running 2003 and/or 400mhz I
would probalby suggest staying away from this, especially if the space
available works out for you. From here where do you go? - There is a lot of
information out there, and you can check here for good links and
explanations for using Tsunami : www.vcdhelp.com

Good luck.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 9:25:21 AM

1000 Thanx for your help...

Tuf
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 2:01:55 PM

> 1000 Thanx for your help...
>
> Tuf

And a 1000 welcomes, most honorable sir. :)
!