Just tried to assemble my 1st build, no display ?

Warghost

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I just received my parts last night and tried to assemble it all but Im having some problem it seem.

When I power it on, it seem to start up normally, I see all the fan start spinning and hear the beep(POST?) after a couple second.

the ligh on my lcd turn green but it stay dark. Im not sure its its only related to the video card or if I may have forgotten something else. I do have to use an adapter for the monitor cause its not DVI and the new video card only have that.

Any ideas? here are some spec that mihg help

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 ATX LGA775 Conroe P965 DDR2 PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 GBLAN Audio Motherboard

Ocz Gold Xtc PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN Dimm Dual Channel Memory Kit

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 1.86GHZ 1066FSB 2MB Cache Retail Box

Coolermaster CAC-T05 Centurion 5 Aluminum ATX Tower Case 5X5.25 1X3.5 4X3.5INT SILVER-BLACK

Bfg Geforce 7900 Gt Oc Sin Edition PCI-E 256MB 256BIT GDDR3 Sli Ready Video Card

OCZ OCZ52012U-520W Modstream Power Supply PCI-E Ready W/ Ezmod Cable System & Blue LED Fan

LCD is a Viewsonic 19" (this is not new it worked with my old system)

1 more thing I didnt find any Power led(not power switch, this one work) to connect on the motherboard, if anyone have this case maybe you can help with that too.

thx in advance

Fire_Zealot

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
oooh shit, the same thing happened to me. Turned out my Card( 6600GT) was broken. One of the pieces( a little square neer the inputs) was half broken off. I couldnt tell at first as the fan was spinning and all. Check you're card and make sure nothing is loose, or if it looks like something could've been on..

Warghost

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Oh man, I hope its not that. I was worried that if I order parts instead of letting them build it for me some part might be faulty.

Thx though ill check that tonite.

Fire_Zealot

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Well, I'll be the first to admit that what I had was bad luck as well. Its generally why I prefer to get my computer stuff at places like Fries inseatd of newegg, despite the price diferance...

Did you also check the moniter connection? Sometimes the DVI isnt in properly(though it looks like it is) and doesnt give a signal. Does you screen say "no signal? Especialy if you have to have an adapter, recheck the plug-ins...

By the way, nice PC. Its way better than what I have...

Warghost

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Ill recheck all the connection when I get home tonight. AFter putting it all togeter last night, I just wanted to see if it worked and got the problem I mentionned. I didnt bother to try anythign yet I just went to bed because it was late.

About the new pc thx it seem promising waited a long time before finally replacing my P4 1.4 Mhz with the new one.

mas0n

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Warghost I just finished my second RMA for a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 board last night. I purchased two DOA boards that would not output to my monitor. I even tried a new PCI non-E video card to rule out my new vid card.

newegg reviews are riddled with DOA Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 boards, they just hide them ...

Some also say its a RAM issue. I have read that you need to put in another type of ram to POST then go into the BOIS to make changes. I am not going to purchase cheap ram to get a machine to post.

I went with ASUS after getting burned twice. It should be here tonight.

Warghost

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Warghost I just finished my second RMA for a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 board last night. I purchased two DOA boards that would not output to my monitor. I even tried a new PCI non-E video card to rule out my new vid card.

newegg reviews are riddled with DOA Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 boards, they just hide them ...

Some also say its a RAM issue. I have read that you need to put in another type of ram to POST then go into the BOIS to make changes. I am not going to purchase cheap ram to get a machine to post.

I went with ASUS after getting burned twice. It should be here tonight.

Wish I had more piece to try and find the problem. I do have my old PCI video card that I can use but the old ram wont work and I dont know anyone with DDR2. I hope its not ram related. I did read about the ram problem but I tough my board would ship with one of the newer bios version wich are suposed to correct the problem.

Warghost

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Well after spending almost the whole day looking at forum,(dont tell my boss) im 95% sure its the RAM.

The ocz forum have lots of ppl with the exact symptom i have. Some have been able to boot when using only 1 stick then making change to bios setting then adding the 2nd stick. Other had to buy another brand of ram to make those cnahges in bios.

So ill try this when I get home. Ill post result tommorow if anyone care !