Big LCD widescreen monitors ?

bullaRh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Ive been looking on the Acer AL2423W 24 for quite some time but im worried about ghosting and all that cuz its alot of money, so i was wondering if anyone here had that monitor and could tell me something about it or maybe u know another monitor?.

JBS181818

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
i don't have the monitor, but i've read a lot of reviews on it. from what i've heard, there are absolutely no problems playing games with it. no ghosting. however, most recommend the dell 2407 over it. its less then 50 bucks more usually.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
24" monitors cost quite a bit more than 22" monitors, almost double the price in some cases. I would recommend the VX2235WM (Viewsonic) since it's on sale for 300 bucks at Costco (last time I checked) and had some decent specs. It's a 22" widescreen, so it would look marginally smaller.

Just an idea.

JBS181818

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
they have significantly lower resolution that is non standard and some games don't support it. thats why they are half the price. but i agree, 24 inchers are way over priced. this time next year they'll probably be around 500. thats when i plan on getting one.

AngelDeath82

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
they have significantly lower resolution that is non standard and some games don't support it. thats why they are half the price.

Well, see, widescreen monitors of any size use a non-standard resolution, not just the 22". It's actually the 19" widescreen that have a highly non-standard resolution though, as the others are used on widescreen notebooks as well.

19": 1440 x 900 - Moderate support in widescreen-capable games
20.1" - 22": 1680 x 1050 - Good support in widescreen-capable games
24": 1920 x 1200 - Good support in widescreen-capable games

The biggest problem is the lack of games which support widescreen in the first place... most games require "hacks" to use widescreen and those hacks generally chop the top off of the screen.

Unfortunately, this is a well known problem (with little that seems to be done about it) by several of the game developers, even after requests to have widescreen support added.

NeoDon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
8) Definatly go with the Chimei 22 inch widescreen at Newegg.com.

I just got mine yesterday and am wowed at its sharpness, color depth
and brightness, this monitor rocks. It killz my old 21 inch dell(sony)
trinitron CRT in size and all factors mentioned above. And the price is awlsome. 8)

NeoDon

NeoDon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
8) Definatly go with the Chimei 22 inch widescreen at Newegg.com.

I just got mine yesterday and am wowed at its sharpness, color depth
and brightness, this monitor rocks. It killz my old 21 inch dell(sony)
trinitron CRT in size and all factors mentioned above. And the price is awlsome. 8)
OH and just incase you think CHIMEI is aq no name brand that is not good they make monitors for Veiwsonic,Dell,Samsung and others....
NeoDon

RichPLS

Champion
which, btw, includes a three-year, next-business-day, on-site warranty (with two week ‘satisfaction guaranteed’ policy as well) making it a steal for its price...

bullaRh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
i heard the Dell 2407 should be really slow at gaming. now i see ppl say buy 22 lcd but 24 would really be nice, and i would also like using it as TV but maybe i should just wait a year or so cus where i live the Acer AL2423W cost about $300 more than US and there isnt that many 24'' LCD's 2 choose from yet, but the screens get bigger and cheaper for every year, i just wanted to know if someone had it and could tell me about it but thanks anyway :b

:p btw sorry for my bad english

RichPLS

Champion
I have the 2405FPW and very rarely notice any ghosting, and gaming is an excellent experience on it... so is TV/DVD playback... By far, it is the best LCD/CRT I have ever owned...

ExtremeTech Hardware Ranking
http://www.hardwareranking.com/link.php?lid=2264

Product Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP

Company:
Dell Computer

Pros:
Uniform color; very bright; component video input; great response time for gaming and video; great price.

Cons:
No direct backlight control; height adjustment only goes full-up or full-down.

Summary:
Dell has a real winner here. The feature set is great, and it excelled in both objective and subjective performance testing. Perhaps most importantly, the price is fantastic. All we want now is a direct backlight control.
Price: $703 (direct)

Another Review
http://www.hardwareranking.com/link.php?lid=2263

bullaRh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
well it sounds good, im just scared for the ghosting thingy im really picky about that because its alot of money

it says 16ms in the reviews and my current LCD is 8ms so its twice the ms thats a little scary, but the best thing is probably 2 find a shop who has it, thanks for the help.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Heh i guess people actualy do buy acer monitors. Ok well i have a 24" lcd samsung 244t 1920x1200 native "hacking" the games to do the resalution i want doesnt cut off the tops and bottoms because thier max res is 1600x1200 since mines 1920x1200 i lose nothing top to bottom but i gain 320 side to side ;) just be smart and match the vertical if you need to "hack" a game. I hear people get stretching also but in BF2 i dont most people dont really know how to do it and in some games you jsut cant avoid it. I got the 24" i dont regret it even with the higher price i would do it again if i had the chance. mine has 6ms responce GtoG NOOOOOOOO ghosting NOOOOOOOOO bluring whatsoever. and its way sharper then any CRT i have ever had and the last two crt's i had were 22" professional monitors.

RichPLS

Champion
Agree, I have Dell's older 2405FPW and it rates according to THG at 20ms... but I rarely notice ghosting, and it never impedes the gaming since it is intermittent and only in a few scenarios...
in other words it is barely noticeable on my 2407, and the newer 2407 is significantly faster, so I suspect this would be a non-issue...
Just make sure you have a current and powerfull graphic card... mine is a HiS X1800XT running at 690MHz/1584MHz

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Ugh, 24" are so expensive though, I could get 2 22" for that price...

But if I had a choice, that 24" dell would be at the top of my list... well, next to a 30", but thats understandable.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Yeah, the G2G response time on those Dells is awesome. But, I have been able to detect a slight input lag on my brother's 2405 (and I read that the 2407 is the same). It doesn't bother most people, but if you are really sensitive to that sort of thing, you should try moving a mouse around on a 2405 before purchasing.

Other than that, the 240X monitors are great. I own a Sony Premiere Pro 23" monitor (bought based on THG reviews), and my brother owns a Dell 2405. We are both incredibly happy with our monitors, because we use them for different things. So, it's just a question of what you value most in a monitor.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Well, it has nothing to do with the cable. It has to do with color-correction technologies built in to your LCD (or overdrive... I'm not really sure actually). The time it takes it to print the signal it's receiving to the screen can be noticeable.

But, like I said, most people can't feel it. Samsung 214T has same problem and I can't even use that monitor (bought one and took it back), but for most people it's a great monitor (the actual look of the panel is amazing). It just "feels" like you have mouse smoothing enabled on your mouse when you move it around your screen or something.

That being said, the lag on the Dell is slight compared to Samsung. But, it still exists. Check these out to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1026393
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=67322&page=2
http://www.behardware.com/articles/632-1/lcds-images-delayed-compared-to-crts-yes.html
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=937127

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Actualy the cable makes a big difference on monitors with large resolutions. these problems here from one of your links

more motion blur in video and games (motion blur is the bluring or same color ghost trails that appear on the lcd during fast movement)

less white ghosting in games (white ghosting is the light colored ghost that trails objects in a video game)

Much more noticable input lag

I dont get any of those. I play fast paced games like FPS everyday. i suppose if i had camera shutter eyes i would be equaly un happy with a crt as well since i would see the constant flicker they put off alot more then normal. I'm a accuracy freak when it comes to fps i like super fast mouse speeds and accurate movment. the only thing i had to get use to with my monitor was the side to side motion being odd because it was wider then my crt.

If i use a high res panal with a VGA connection to feed it the information it needs your asking for these problems to be overly enhanced. Obviuosly LCD's are still not so fast it would never happen. Hell my monitor runs at 60hrz even though its rated to run at 75hrz. If you have fast enough movement say like a high speed racing game im sure your bound to see this bluring but i havent played a game yet that has caused it. Bluring and ghosting is why i never got a LCD in the past only reason i got one now is becuase they finaly made a panal i can play fps in with out it. Cant speak for dell though wouldnt buy anything dell,gateway,compaq makes.

margav

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
I am looking at buying a 24 inch myself, and I actually was looking at the DELL, but recently I came up to this new BENQ monitor (LINK TO MONITOR ) It has some sorta thing to stop ghosting, (something like a black screen showing at 120HZ, which sorta takes away the ghosting, and apparebtly you would not see the black screen)

SO now I must consider how and what, and see reviews on it as I have not found any so far except that I think BENQ monitors are WCG sponsors :?

kelleyi

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Don't know much about this Acer other than it was one of the monitors I was reviewing/comparing to help me decide what to buy. From what I can remember, the Acer had good performance stats...no mention of your concern in the reviews I read and the one thing that attracted me to the Acer was the price. However, I opted for "a know quantity" and scraped together a few more dollars for something bigger and better! I've been a Samsung Montior lover for years and have owned 3 and still use a 19" CRT as well as my new acquistion...a Samsung 32" Combo LCD TV/PC Monitor. Check'em out...put together a few more bucks and get the BEST!

Samsung Lover!