How long can my eithernet cable to my modem be?

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Ive got a wireless router that I use for broadband with my home laptop.
The router is in a cupboard under the stairs and I get good reception
all over the house.

When I bring my work laptop home I use the same wireless network card
so I can work with the laptop in the study.

Trouble is our IT department has spotted the drivers for the wireless
card and made me remove them (spoil sports!)

All is not lost as my broadband router accepts an eithernet cable and
works fine like this, but means I have to work in the sitting room
which is less than ideal.

I would like to run an eithernet cable up from the router to the study,
but wondered how long this sort of cable can be?

If it cant be more than a few meters then ill have to extend the phone
line and relocate the router, but id rather not do this.

Thanks for any help

David Bevan
http://www.davidbevan.co.uk
12 answers Last reply
More about long eithernet cable modem
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    junk1@davidbevan.co.uk wrote:
    [SNIP]

    > Trouble is our IT department has spotted the drivers for the wireless
    > card and made me remove them (spoil sports!)

    [SNIP]

    Your employer's IT department clearly doesn't have enough real work to
    do or enough actual threats to fight.....jeepers!
  2. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    In alt.internet.wireless junk1@davidbevan.co.uk wrote:
    > Trouble is our IT department has spotted the drivers for the wireless
    > card and made me remove them (spoil sports!)

    > All is not lost as my broadband router accepts an eithernet cable and
    > works fine like this, but means I have to work in the sitting room
    > which is less than ideal.

    Perhaps you want a "game adapter". These are sold to connect your X-box,
    et al, wirelessly to the network, but it should work for your laptop
    because it uses the drivers that you already have for the etherenet port.
    Linksys WGA54G is one. Netgear WGE111 is another.

    ---
  3. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    On 21 Sep 2005 14:05:42 -0700, junk1@davidbevan.co.uk scrawled:

    >I would like to run an eithernet cable up from the router to the study,
    >but wondered how long this sort of cable can be?
    >
    >If it cant be more than a few meters then ill have to extend the phone
    >line and relocate the router, but id rather not do this.

    From point to point, 100 metres is the maximum.
    --
    Stuart @ SJW Electrical

    Please Reply to group
  4. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Lurch <usenet@sjwelectrical.co.uk> wrote in

    > On 21 Sep 2005 14:05:42 -0700, junk1@davidbevan.co.uk scrawled:
    >
    >>I would like to run an eithernet cable up from the router to the study,
    >>but wondered how long this sort of cable can be?
    >>
    >>If it cant be more than a few meters then ill have to extend the phone
    >>line and relocate the router, but id rather not do this.
    >>
    > From point to point, 100 metres is the maximum.

    100 meters is the maximum distance to meet full spec. Ethernet will go some
    further as well, with diminished speed, provided it's good cable, and half
    way decent gear.
  5. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:10:45 -0500, DanS
    <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a..n.e.t> wrote:

    >100 meters is the maximum distance to meet full spec. Ethernet will go some
    >further as well, with diminished speed, provided it's good cable, and half
    >way decent gear.

    Yep. I have lots of fun putting connectors on the ends of a 1000ft
    roll of CAT5 and demonstrating to the non-believers that it works just
    fine. That catch is that it only works well at 10mbits/sec but not at
    100mbits/sec. If you're going to play line stretcher, do it at 10 not
    100.

    The limiting factor is what's called NEXT or near end crosstalk, which
    rips on the signal to noise ratio. 11dB is the minimum and 1000ft
    just barely can do that with 10baseTX-HDX (half-duplex). Anyway, I
    have a 900ft run of CAT5 at a customers that's been working for about
    3 years without much difficulties (except where the mice chewed
    through it).

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
  6. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    < wrote in message
    > Ive got a wireless router that I use for broadband with my home laptop.
    > The router is in a cupboard under the stairs and I get good reception
    > all over the house.
    >
    > When I bring my work laptop home I use the same wireless network card
    > so I can work with the laptop in the study.
    >
    > Trouble is our IT department has spotted the drivers for the wireless
    > card and made me remove them (spoil sports!)
    >
    > All is not lost as my broadband router accepts an eithernet cable and
    > works fine like this, but means I have to work in the sitting room
    > which is less than ideal.
    >
    > I would like to run an eithernet cable up from the router to the study,
    > but wondered how long this sort of cable can be?
    >
    > If it cant be more than a few meters then ill have to extend the phone
    > line and relocate the router, but id rather not do this.
    >

    > Thanks for any help
    >
    > David Bevan

    Wireless bridge.

    Certainly $40 is worth not walking around the house on a leash. :^)

    Cheers
    Eric
  7. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    "Eric" wrote in message

    > Wireless bridge.

    Er, meant, "Wireless-Ethernet Adapter", of course.
  8. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    In article <TAlYe.15653$ib1.7892@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>,
    nospam@nospam.nospam.not says...

    > "Eric" wrote in message
    >

    > > Wireless bridge.
    >
    > Er, meant, "Wireless-Ethernet Adapter", of course.

    Are you sure you didn't mean wireless-to-ethernet bridge?
    :-)
  9. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    > Your employer's IT department clearly doesn't have enough real work to
    > do or enough actual threats to fight.....jeepers!

    I disagree. Windows usually gets a bad name because people find it
    unstable etc. The *only* thing that causes a blue screen kernel stop is
    kernel mode code, i.e. things like drivers. People get a fresh XP and
    then start loading on all kinds of code from various origins and then
    complain when one of them barfs and brings down the OS.

    To help combat this, Microsoft introduced the concept of signed drivers,
    ones that had been through WHQL (lab testing) and thus had passed
    validation. If the policy (either hard or soft) is to only run signed
    drivers then so be it and it doesn't help the IT department one bit when
    people load on unknown unsupported drivers.

    From a security point of view this also raises alerts. Lets assume that
    the IT department are doing rather well in locking down and securing the
    network. Then in comes Joe Bloggs, loads up some drivers for the
    inbuilt wireless card and creates an ad-hoc network with no encryption.
    All Joe Hacker has to do now is sit in the car park with a high gain
    antenna and target that nice corp laptop with the open wireless
    connection. Makes that rather expensive firewall with annual
    maintenance contract and trained staff to administer it all rather
    pointless!

    If the company has a "no wireless" policy then that should be both
    accepted by staff and enforced by the company by using monitoring tools
    and appropriate countermeasures.

    FWIW, I don't agree with a no wireless policy because way too often it's
    not enforced and just dealt with by publishing it on a piece of paper or
    an intranet and that just doesn't stop staff members plugging in the
    occassional AP now and again. Better to have a wireless policy and
    control it effectively. Prime example, I was talking to a non techy at
    a trade show yesterday, he said "we aren't allowed wireless but it's
    just so much easier, I just bring in an access point and use it in the
    meeting rooms when I need to". So if anyone wants to hack into one of
    the worldwide manufacturers of copiers and digital cameras, there you
    go.

    David.
  10. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    On 21 Sep 2005 14:05:42 -0700, junk1@davidbevan.co.uk wrote:

    >Ive got a wireless router that I use for broadband with my home laptop.
    >The router is in a cupboard under the stairs and I get good reception
    >all over the house.
    >
    >When I bring my work laptop home I use the same wireless network card
    >so I can work with the laptop in the study.
    >
    >Trouble is our IT department has spotted the drivers for the wireless
    >card and made me remove them (spoil sports!)
    >
    >All is not lost as my broadband router accepts an eithernet cable and
    >works fine like this, but means I have to work in the sitting room
    >which is less than ideal.
    >
    >I would like to run an eithernet cable up from the router to the study,
    >but wondered how long this sort of cable can be?
    >
    >If it cant be more than a few meters then ill have to extend the phone
    >line and relocate the router, but id rather not do this.

    It can't be any meters but it can be up to 15 metres.

    >Thanks for any help
    >
    >David Bevan
    >http://www.davidbevan.co.uk

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
  11. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Barry OGrady <atheist.xxx@gmail.com> wrote in

    > it can be up to 15 metres

    ....or using CAT5 UTP cabling, up to 100 metres
  12. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    In alt.internet.wireless RWEmerson <foolish_consistency@hobgoblin.com> wrote:

    > Your employer's IT department clearly doesn't have enough real work to
    > do or enough actual threats to fight.....jeepers!

    Easy to do. Our systems have some helpful little tool that reports the
    version level of all drivers and certain applications. If your PC is
    downrev on anything, a new version is pushed down for you.

    Occasionally there's a little popup asking you to reboot because of a new
    load.

    Or maybe he left his WiFi card enabled and they have a policy against
    wireless in the building. He didn't say how they noticed that the drivers
    were detected.

    --
    ---

Configuration Laptops Routers Cable Wireless Networking