Upgrading a PIII

Hey I just scored an older PC and I'm looking to upgrade the processor. It has a PIII 500 mhz in it right now. Is there any sort of limiting factors that could be present preventing me from putting a PIII 1ghz processor in it? They are dirt cheap on ebay and I think it would be well worth it. Will I require a different cpu fan or heatsink? Thanks for any advice you guys can provide.
8 answers Last reply
More about upgrading piii
  1. Quote:
    Hey I just scored an older PC and I'm looking to upgrade the processor. It has a PIII 500 mhz in it right now. Is there any sort of limiting factors that could be present preventing me from putting a PIII 1ghz processor in it? They are dirt cheap on ebay and I think it would be well worth it. Will I require a different cpu fan or heatsink? Thanks for any advice you guys can provide.

Is the processor Slot-1 or Socket 370?
  2. I'll have to check. I was assuming that it was a 370, but I could very well be wrong. Aside from making sure I am buying for the correct socket, are there any other considerations I should be making?
  3. Quote:
    I'll have to check. I was assuming that it was a 370, but I could very well be wrong. Aside from making sure I am buying for the correct socket, are there any other considerations I should be making?

For Socket 370, check whether the motherboard supports 133MHz FSB. Most P3-1GHz (S370) should be 133MHz FSB. Slot-1 P3-1GHz have 100MHz / 133MHz FSB models.
  4. Quote:
    I'll have to check. I was assuming that it was a 370, but I could very well be wrong. Aside from making sure I am buying for the correct socket, are there any other considerations I should be making?

You will probably need to check the motherboard manufacturers specs to see if it can be upgraded to 1GHz. Some of the older mobo's could only jump by a few hundred MHz. (ie. 300-550, or 600-1GHz) You need to find what is the max low end and high end hertz are.
  5. Quote:

You will probably need to check the motherboard manufacturers specs to see if it can be upgraded to 1GHz. Some of the older mobo's could only jump by a few hundred MHz. (ie. 300-550, or 600-1GHz) You need to find what is the max low end and high end hertz are.

For P3, the multiplier is locked.
  6. He's talking about Bios compatibility.

Socket 370 500 MHz PIIIs are very rare, most likely its a slot 1 on 100MHz fsb. If that's the case, the best solution would be a Tualatin Celeron (or just a plain old 800-1100 MHz coppermine Celeron) on a Slocket.
  7. Hi Joe,
    Hey I've got a nice K6-III 450MHz rig on Asus P5A! It runs WinXP okay (640MB PC133 memory).
    @ szembek
    Hi, I have just upgraded a P-III 533EB (133x4) with a P-III 1000EB (133x7.5) for Socket370.
    Since the FSB is usually selectable, you kinda hope your P-III runs 100x10 y'know? Then, you could select 133FSB and hopefully POST 1333MHz... LoL. The fastest 100FSB CPU however is 100x8.5 unfortunately, then they switch to 133FSB.
    But any Socket370 upgrade is a no-brainer because the CPU multiplier is locked and auto-detected. The tricky bit can be CPU voltage auto-detection. Ideally your mobo will automatically detect 1.050V to 1.825V, allowing you to run any Socket370 CPU.

Just for the record, these are:
    Pentium III
    -FCPGA2 133MHz FSB (1.13GHz-1.26GHz)
    -FCPGA 133MHz FSB (533EB-1GHz)
    -FCPGA 100MHz FSB (500E-850E)
    Celeron
    -FCPGA 100MHz FSB (800MHz-950MHz)
    -FCPGA 66MHz FSB (566MHz-700MHz)

So you can read the motherboard make and model if you crack the case open... or (if it runs) simply run CPU-Z. The latest version is 1.37
    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
    Regards
  8. Quote:
    Hi Joe,
    Hey I've got a nice K6-III 450MHz rig on Asus P5A! It runs WinXP okay (640MB PC133 memory).

Very nice. :D Usually folks have probs running a K6-2 on XP. One of the main uses of my K6 rig is to play old DOS games, hence the 9x OS.

Quote:
    The fastest 100FSB CPU however is 100x8.5 unfortunately, then they switch to 133FSB.
    Not entirely accurate. You could find 1GHz/100 fsb PIIIs in both slot 1 and socket 370 format. The biggest drawback to these is that they are rare and bloody expensive to buy on Ebay. Coppermine celerons used the 100 MHz fsb from the 800MHz version all the way up to 1100 MHz.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Processors