How do I remove programs from starting up in Windows XP?

Hi,

How can I remove items from starting up when Windows XP starts. There are
so many programs loading into windows that I don't think I need to start up
as the computer starts. A lot are programs related to AOL.....how can I
remove those too?

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about remove programs starting windows

    Sandi wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > How can I remove items from starting up when Windows XP starts. There are
    > so many programs loading into windows that I don't think I need to start up
    > as the computer starts. A lot are programs related to AOL.....how can I
    > remove those too?
    >

    > Thanks.

    In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
    simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
    "display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."

    Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and
    Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the
    system registry, primarily in the
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi

    From Start>Run type

    msconfig

    then click on the startup tab. Uncheck any programs in there that you don't
    want starting up with Windows and then reboot your system.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Sandi" <nospampozfam@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > How can I remove items from starting up when Windows XP starts. There are
    > so many programs loading into windows that I don't think I need to start
    > up as the computer starts. A lot are programs related to AOL.....how can
    > I remove those too?
    >

    > Thanks.

    Registry editor (regedit.exe)
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrenVersion\Run

    --
    -----------------------
    lendy

    In news:ORMrd.1571$714.1442@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net,
    Sandi <nospampozfam@ix.netcom.com> typed:

    > How can I remove items from starting up when Windows XP starts.
    > There are so many programs loading into windows that I don't
    > think I
    > need to start up as the computer starts. A lot are programs
    > related
    > to AOL.....how can I remove those too?

    On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
    Options to see if it has the choice not to start. Many can easily
    and best be stopped that way. If that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG
    from the Start | Run line, and on the Startup tab, uncheck the
    programs you don't want to start automatically.

    However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose
    of running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many
    people tell you, you should be concerned, not with how many of
    these programs you run, but which. Some of them can hurt
    performance severely, but others have no effect on performance.

    Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you
    should do is determine what each program is, what its value is to
    you, and what the cost in performance is of its running all the
    time. You can get more information about these with at
    http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html. If you can't find it
    there, try google searches and ask about specifics here.

    Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent
    informed decision about what you want to keep and what you want
    to get rid of.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

Microsoft Windows XP