Sign in with
Your question

NVIDIA has x86 CPU in the works

Last response: in CPUs
October 19, 2006 7:05:03 PM

"Now this is more like it. Sure, the idea of a mighty Intel / AMD brawl, with each CPU giant carrying a GPU manufacturer underwing, has its plusses, but it's not like Intel and AMD haven't been duking it out for-freaking-ever already. What we really need is some new blood in this fight, and who better than NVIDIA, with their mighty chip-building and power sucking expertise to challenge the two main players in the CPU space? Nothing quite "official" yet, but the Inquirer claims to have confirmed just such a scheme is being launched by NVIDIA at this very moment. What makes this all the more likely is a recent acquisition of Stexar, which was comprised of ex-Intel kids, and should give NVIDIA a good head-start in the x86 game. Reportedly development is already underway, and the big N is shooting for a 45nm design for release sometime in 2008. The plan is, naturally, an integrated graphics chipset mixed with their fancy new CPU, a package which it looks like NVIDIA is well poised to offer, and which will be a vital offering from the likes of Intel and AMD in the years to come."

More about : nvidia x86 cpu works

October 19, 2006 7:10:06 PM

Hopefully this is true, a good NVIDIA chip would lower the prices in the CPU market :) 
October 19, 2006 7:18:23 PM

Or they might be remarkably late with their products... n90 anyone?
Related resources
October 19, 2006 7:21:51 PM

Quote:
"Now this is more like it. Sure, the idea of a mighty Intel / AMD brawl, with each CPU giant carrying a GPU manufacturer underwing, has its plusses, but it's not like Intel and AMD haven't been duking it out for-freaking-ever already. What we really need is some new blood in this fight, and who better than NVIDIA, with their mighty chip-building and power sucking expertise to challenge the two main players in the CPU space? Nothing quite "official" yet, but the Inquirer claims to have confirmed just such a scheme is being launched by NVIDIA at this very moment. What makes this all the more likely is a recent acquisition of Stexar, which was comprised of ex-Intel kids, and should give NVIDIA a good head-start in the x86 game. Reportedly development is already underway, and the big N is shooting for a 45nm design for release sometime in 2008. The plan is, naturally, an integrated graphics chipset mixed with their fancy new CPU, a package which it looks like NVIDIA is well poised to offer, and which will be a vital offering from the likes of Intel and AMD in the years to come."

WHere did you get this news from? link?
October 19, 2006 7:34:52 PM

I have one question to ask:
Does nVidia have its own Fabrication plant?
October 19, 2006 7:37:28 PM

Nope. They out source all their development. They don't actually make anything.
October 19, 2006 7:37:57 PM

Quote:
I have one question to ask:
Does nVidia have its own Fabrication plant?

From everything I've seen, no.
October 19, 2006 7:38:58 PM

no, they use TSMC & chartered & UMC
October 19, 2006 7:48:16 PM

Quote:
no, they use TSMC & chartered & UMC

Quote:
From everything I've seen, no.

Quote:
Nope. They out source all their development. They don't actually make anything.

Then I would think that nVidia cannot compete as the cost of each CPU will be higher.
October 19, 2006 7:48:50 PM

Quote:

One thing i would love is a LINK!
October 19, 2006 7:50:46 PM

Unless they have plans to purchace a company that has a FAB, you, are completely correct.
October 19, 2006 7:55:21 PM

If it is true I rather stick with what the companies do best, Nvidia making great GPUs and AMD making great processors, no need to oil any squeaky wheels
October 19, 2006 7:55:23 PM

Quote:
Unless they have plans to purchace a company that has a FAB, you, are completely correct.

As Intel triggered a price war, the ASPs and the profit margin for each CPU will not be as high as in the past. Intel and AMD is flooding the market with low-priced CPUs. If nVidia have to compete, it should have its own Fab.

Another reason is that TSMC / UMC are always lag behind in the advancement of fabrication technology. AMD is now sampling and certifying 65nm process. But TSMC / UMC are still doing 90nm / 80nm. If nVidia produces CPU in these plants, nVidia will end up with costly (bigger die) and hotter (higher voltage) CPUs.

The reason that VIA is not affected with these problems becuase it is now playing in the embedded market but not desktop market.
October 19, 2006 7:55:32 PM

Nvidia may not have enough money for now to make a several fabs for this rumored cpu. But sure thing they're not a noob in making semi-conductors, as thier gpu is some most complicated semi-conductors. I don't know if there's going to target the enthusiasts and gamers. If this is true, then pretty soon we'll have Nvidia cpu, gpus and motherboard. Looks risky for Nvidia but very good for the compitetion and more good for us as it might lower the prices and have more choices when it comes to cpus.
October 19, 2006 7:59:40 PM

Quote:
Nvidia may not have enough money for now to make a several fabs for this rumored cpu. But sure thing they're not a noob in making semi-conductors, as thier gpu is some most complicated semi-conductors. I don't know if there's going to target the enthusiasts and gamers. If this is true, then pretty soon we'll have Nvidia cpu, gpus and motherboard. Looks risky for Nvidia but very good for the compitetion and more good for us as it might lower the prices and have more choices when it comes to cpus.

CPU is more complex than GPU.
Although GPUs have larger die, most of them are standardized modules (pixel shaders, vertex shaders, etc.)
October 19, 2006 8:05:48 PM

Just because they acquired a company of ex-Intel kids doesn't mean CPU, it might just be chipsets. I can't see nVidia trying to get into the x86 market since that would be a very sizable investment and a very stupid move due to the cutthroat competition between them and ATI. ATI is fairly safe since they have mama-AMD protecting them, but nVidia is by itself. It should continue to focus on its core buisness, maybe branch out a bit, but nothing that would require the size of an investment CPU's would make.

They could make microprocessors, for cellphones and other electronics. That might be very possible. But a full-blown x86 processor... I don't think they're that risky or stupid.
October 19, 2006 8:15:05 PM

Quote:

Wow this is news to me. I didn't think that Nvidia would have the cash they would need to throw at something like this. Do you have a link to any of this? I would be intresting if they could pull this off. And who is Stexar?
October 19, 2006 8:31:36 PM

Damn, thats right, I totally forgot about Physics and AI.

I'm fairly certain nVidia will still stick to what its good at, but branch out a bit into physics and AI chips. Might be integrated with the GPU, might not, but either way, these 2 are much more likely than nVidia busting out with a x86 processor.

Geforce 9800GTX PhysX/AI editon... 1kW psu required =)
October 19, 2006 8:34:04 PM

It seems to be the trend for companies to do both graphics and processors. Perhaps we are coming to some sort of convergence (or at least closer integration) that would make it beneficial to have both made by the same company?

Also, this is from the inquirer, so lets not put too much faith in it. They do like to generate rumours just for site hits.
October 19, 2006 8:40:37 PM

I definately think it is a cool thing to think about.
October 19, 2006 8:56:43 PM

What if nVidia is planning something a little more revolutionary, like integrating x86 CPU, chipset (or at least 1/2 of it), and GPU all on one chip? I don't mean to get performance up, I mean smaller, cheaper PC-appliances, notebooks or other portable devices. They might get down to two chips instead of 3-4 (CPU, northbridge, video, southbridge) depending on how they split it up.
October 19, 2006 9:04:46 PM

Quote:
Or they might be remarkably late with their products... n90 anyone?

"the big N is shooting for a 45nm design"
October 19, 2006 9:15:13 PM

Quote:
What if nVidia is planning something a little more revolutionary, like integrating x86 CPU, chipset (or at least 1/2 of it), and GPU all on one chip? I don't mean to get performance up, I mean smaller, cheaper PC-appliances, notebooks or other portable devices. They might get down to two chips instead of 3-4 (CPU, northbridge, video, southbridge) depending on how they split it up.

It's not all that revolutionary since this is what Intel and AMD are planning to do... And most likely why NVIDIA is planning to make a CPU. This could be huge business and probably replace the northbridge onboard videochip to onboard the CPU (and since they have or planning to implement the memory controller... Thus making a northbridge less useable and see more northbridge-southbridge chips).

Anyway, a good way to decrease costs for low-end PC's.
October 19, 2006 9:51:16 PM

Quote:
If it is true I rather stick with what the companies do best, Nvidia making great GPUs and AMD making great processors, no need to oil any squeaky wheels

>> AMD making great processors

Lol... yeah whatever...
October 19, 2006 9:53:59 PM

It's definitely not revolutionary, STMicroelectronics has been making/selling "system on a chip" for over four years, the chip gets used in a lot of kiosk type of applications. To make an X86 CPU is a bit backwards, to make an X86 "compatible" CPU is a place to start but again is not something new.
October 19, 2006 11:56:23 PM

Quote:

It's not all that revolutionary since this is what Intel and AMD are planning to do... And most likely why NVIDIA is planning to make a CPU. This could be huge business and probably replace the northbridge onboard videochip to onboard the CPU (and since they have or planning to implement the memory controller... Thus making a northbridge less useable and see more northbridge-southbridge chips).

I agree, that's pretty much what I meant above about the convergence of the different chips.
Anonymous
October 20, 2006 12:03:13 AM

Guys, he got the post from engadget.com

http://engadget.com/page/2/

I look at this site too a lot.

I would like Nvidia to come and play, help drive competition and prices down.

We would go faster than Morre's Law.
October 20, 2006 12:34:18 AM

But we can't go faster, after all, its the law!
October 20, 2006 1:23:06 AM

Quote:

I would guess that they just want a CPU for mobile phones or maybe kiosks. They know there is no upside to taking on Intel and AMD in X86 land. Jumping to AMD64 will drain all of their money.

Perhaps they are looking for a lucrative game contract. Just like MS, they will GET KILLED.
October 20, 2006 2:36:14 AM

I have no confidence in nVidia's CPU dreams. they'd probably release a cpu that could not only fry eggs, but also a steak, or it could weaken the ozone layer.
October 20, 2006 3:32:23 AM

no need to start hating on AMD.
I dont think they want to take out Intel or Amd.
BUT it would be awesome if they give'em some competition. That would drive
CPU performance (WE ALL WANT THAT) very high and prices down.
October 20, 2006 4:28:52 AM

(Stealing your awarding ceremony prozac)

Congradulations for the most worthless post of the evening (eastern time that is). You my good sir/madam need not make worthless posts like this one.
October 20, 2006 4:31:25 AM

Quote:
I have no confidence in nVidia's CPU dreams. they'd probably release a cpu that could not only fry eggs, but also a steak, or it could weaken the ozone layer.

Probably would do all three. Nvidia isn't going to release a CPU i can almost guarantee it. More than likley they are going to stick with chipsets and work with physics as stated above. The CPU market is way to demanding for Nvidia to hop aboard and stand chance to lose money. . . a lot of money.
a b à CPUs
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 20, 2006 5:01:40 AM

Well if they have and if like the Inq says are cooking up 'something' I'm betting on a physics/GPU rather than a straight up stand alone x86 CPU.
October 20, 2006 8:44:13 AM

Quote:

I agree, that's pretty much what I meant above about the convergence of the different chips.

On the contrary, it's quite revolutionary. Everybody is of course "planning" to do something like this someday, even working towards it, but that's not what a revolution is, it's actually HAVING the world use these devices, not as some stripped down PDA (etc) device but as main computers, complete replacement of what you call a desktop PC as a real product as in, go to Newegg et al. and buy one.

Sometimes whoever gets to market first with a polished enough product gains a ton of momentum. Look at the iPod.
October 20, 2006 9:34:48 AM

I guess before we can have that kind of revolution we will need a new motherboard standard and i'm sure that even with the broad reach that intel (and now amd) has in regards to hardware, a great deal of 3rd parties will need to get on board (no pun intended). I could see intel doing this on their own for their laptops and low-end desktops, but as for anything performance oriented, this doesn't seem to be the way to go (at least with intel creating the graphics :)  ). Besides, for us constant upgraders, buying 3 parts is more lucrative (especially for AMD/ATI) than 1.
a c 99 à CPUs
October 20, 2006 3:22:59 PM

Remember that NVIDIA and ATi just used to do GPUs but the NForces and ATi RD580 are darn good chipsets. GPU makers have a lot of expertise in IC design, so it's not impossible for NVIDIA to make CPUs. Now ATi sure as heck won't make a CPU because they merged with a firm that makes them. NVIDIA kind of needs a buddy right now since their biggest partner bought out their biggest rival and Intel is not super willing to play ball with NVIDIA. So if they can't buddy with anybody to make core logic and GPUs for their CPU platform, it makes sense to make your own CPU platform.

However, I'd think that it's a back-room, emergency-weapon deal right now as NVIDIA would not see the returns for the project for a while. If they can partner closer with Intel instead of having to go alone, they'd probably let the x86 CPU die a silent death.
a c 99 à CPUs
October 20, 2006 3:25:51 PM

Why can't a CPU be made in somewhat the same way? You have a small core and then plug in ALUs, FPUs, etc. That pretty much sounds like how a GPU is made to me- a small core and a lot of modular units. I think that AMD is heading this way with modularizing their CPUs and that is a smart way to do it versus making a more or less monolithic core that must be pretty much completely redesigned to make changes to.
October 20, 2006 3:27:35 PM

Quote:
Why can't a CPU be made in somewhat the same way? You have a small core and then plug in ALUs, FPUs, etc. That pretty much sounds like how a GPU is made to me- a small core and a lot of modular units. I think that AMD is heading this way with modularizing their CPUs and that is a smart way to do it versus making a more or less monolithic core that must be pretty much completely redesigned to make changes to.

My main focus is on the production problem of nVidia :wink:
October 20, 2006 4:25:13 PM

Why do people even bother posting anything from the Inquirer? Don't you people understand that what the Inquirer is shit?
October 20, 2006 4:45:01 PM

Quote:
Why do people even bother posting anything from the Inquirer? Don't you people understand that what the Inquirer is ****?

I don't mind posts about the Inquirer because it some times can be true but when I hear something is from the Inquirer I take it with a grain of salt. :twisted:
a b à CPUs
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 20, 2006 6:37:05 PM

I never said or implied that it was true and the link was provided because it appears to be the source of this particular rumour and until Nvidia confirm or deny that’s all it is, that said the same rumour turns up on several websites all listing the Inq as the source.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/20/157207&from=rss

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/nvidia-has-x86-cpu-in-the-works/

http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=6616

If you are able to read then surly you can tell the difference between something written as speculation and something written as fact, then again maybe not
October 20, 2006 6:46:07 PM

Quote:
I never said or implied that it was true and the link was provided because it appears to be the source of this particular rumour and until Nvidia confirm or deny that’s all it is, that said the same rumour turns up on several websites all listing the Inq as the source.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/20/157207&from=rss

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/nvidia-has-x86-cpu-in-the-works/

http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=6616

If you are able to read then surly you can tell the difference between something written as speculation and something written as fact, then again maybe not

You're in the wrong place for that. people here tend to take everything said as gospel or truth even if you preface your statements with "I think" or "it's possible" or "I heard somewhere."

And then links have to be approved as valid and the Inqs status changes depending on who's posting the story.
a b à CPUs
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 20, 2006 7:05:18 PM

:lol:  :lol:  Dude I know, I just like poking a pointy stick through the bars and prodding the creatures within . :twisted:
October 20, 2006 7:42:20 PM

Quote:
What if this has something to do with the possible development of a physics processer?

And for quantumsheep http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35216 the link you requested.

Why, WHY has everyone here not figured out that the Inq in NOT a news site? How difficult could it be? Come on.

EDIT: 100th post
October 20, 2006 7:45:06 PM

Quote:
What if this has something to do with the possible development of a physics processer?

And for quantumsheep http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35216 the link you requested.

Why don't people realize that theinq is actually not a news site? It's just some stupid man coming up with fallacies to get buffoons like you excited.
October 20, 2006 7:47:18 PM

3 minutes late there.
October 20, 2006 7:48:37 PM

Quote:
3 minutes late there.

Gutted :( 

At least he doesn't have an excuse now he has been told twice.
!