Sign in with
Your question

1st time builder Software and other requirements

Last response: in Systems
October 19, 2006 7:49:07 PM

By tomorrow I should have everything to build. Hopefully everything will go smoothly. I am going to use http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/step/1/ as my guide unless someone has a better idea. What I'm not 100% sure is how to test the system. I was thinking that I should use the software in wusy's overclocking guide for the initial build as well.

I did not buy a floppy drive, will that make it more difficult? (in a pinch I can remove the floppy from my other computer but I'd rather not have 2 machines in pieces 8O ).

The HDD is a 320 Gig drive. Does it make sense to partition it? Is so what would be a recommended partition?

Thanks
October 19, 2006 8:17:11 PM

To benchmark your system I recommend 3D Mark 05 Pro. As for overclocking, there is a seperate part of this forum dedicated to overclocking. If you can't find what you're looking for, Google your CPU on overclocking and if you get a result at overclockersonline then check it out. Otherwise use the standard BIOS options on overclocking and then compute a table for the values as they relate to each other: Voltage, HTT, Multiplier, Clock Speed that sort of thing.

------------

My System:

AMD 64 X2 3800+ OC'ed to 2.2 Ghz, BFG 7900 GTX 512 mb OC'ed, ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe, 2 Gb Kingston Value RAM CAS Latency 2.5-3-3-6, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 4, Westen Digital 74 Gb Ratop ADFD, 2x Western Digital 250 Gb Caviar SE, 3x Thermaltake Hardcano 14 HDD coolers, Thermaltake Blue Orb II CPU cooler, Zalman VF-Cu 900 Blue LED VGA cooler, Thermaltake Extreme Spirit Northbridge cooler, and a PC Power & Cooling 510w PSU.
!