Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Dell
  • AMD
  • Dimension
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
October 19, 2006 8:01:00 PM

That means the lowest-price offering of Dell is now AMD-based.

Is this the reason for AMD processor shortage and the consequence of Dell-Intel weakened partnership?

Let's discuss :wink:

More about : dell droped dimension 1100 3100

October 19, 2006 8:18:26 PM

Probably:) 
Seems Dell is going to stop selling $249 desktops.
!But, Intel has the cheaper expandable system. AMD has the cheapest(and only) skinny system.
October 20, 2006 1:54:51 AM

Sad to see the 1100 go.... it was the last of the mATX Dells... now all they have are BTX. It certainly makes Dell less appealing to me.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2006 2:38:59 AM

Quote:

Is this the reason for AMD processor shortage and the consequence of Dell-Intel weakened partnership?

umm no, it probably has more with those machines not selling all that well. Afterall.. the technology in those machines is quite outdated.
October 20, 2006 6:19:01 AM

Quote:

umm no, it probably has more with those machines not selling all that well. Afterall.. the technology in those machines is quite outdated.

Outdated technology????? :?:
October 20, 2006 3:00:26 PM

Quote:

I like the way you posed that question :)  ....

The Dell-Intel love affair has been heading down hill for sometime now, I think many things contributed. Dell struggled to compete sticking with a subferior CPU. AMD CPUs were giving their competition an advantage. This is likely the biggest component, I also do not think Dell was pleased with Intel supplying Apple (weird rivalry there).

It is interesting to see how long Dell strung Intel out, letting the rumor's fly about possible AMD-Dell marriage, they do this every so often as a means to leverage Intel (as I have written before), but this time things went beyond that ... it would appear that Dell made good on this 'threat' if you will and Intel responded by holding back the discounting....

As such, Intel computers are more expensive and Dell is getting a good deal from AMD to get into the door and those builds are cheaper.

My take on it anyway....

There is no doubt the Dell deal has had an impact, my main argument is why AMD did not plan for this better.... Dell would never have gone after AMD unless they were guaranteed and uninterrupted supply of CPUs. My thoughts are that AMD convinced Dell that Fab 36 and the flex capacity of CS would be enough. Evidently it isn't or at least for the moment it isnt.

I suspect that once 65 nm really revs up the engine the shortages will subside, if not then stockholders/users should start asking what is wrong.

I want to travel to Q2 2007 :wink:
October 20, 2006 3:44:43 PM

I just got to say that I live the fact that AMD has been thrown into the mix. I like it mostly because it gives consumers an option. When consumers get options they get the better deal, we all know this...

From what I've heard is that Intel is not cutting Dell as good a deal as Dell would like. Hence Dell including AMD lessening the reliance on Intel. Also there was an article about Intel and Apple, concerning the same situation.

When ya think about it, this is an awesome deal for AMD too... from what I've heard 80-85% of Dell's business is government and large corporations... they would tend to buy cheaper systems as they buy huge amounts of them... the most affordable systems from Dell are AMD based (also the chipsets are ATI based, or so I hear)... so works out nicely...
October 20, 2006 7:00:20 PM

Quote:
I just got to say that I live the fact that AMD has been thrown into the mix. I like it mostly because it gives consumers an option. When consumers get options they get the better deal, we all know this...

From what I've heard is that Intel is not cutting Dell as good a deal as Dell would like. Hence Dell including AMD lessening the reliance on Intel. Also there was an article about Intel and Apple, concerning the same situation.

When ya think about it, this is an awesome deal for AMD too... from what I've heard 80-85% of Dell's business is government and large corporations... they would tend to buy cheaper systems as they buy huge amounts of them... the most affordable systems from Dell are AMD based (also the chipsets are ATI based, or so I hear)... so works out nicely...

There is where Dell can earn most money.
October 21, 2006 3:02:50 AM

Intel will always be ahead or within striking distance, and for Dell to follow the road of the not-so-successful Gateway is a marketing error IMHO.

There is enough processor confusion already what with Celeron, Pentium, and the various Duos, Core Duos, etc. To add another set of layers is bad tactic.

We'll see how it plays out, but with hp/Compaq nipping at the heels, Dell would do well to focus rather than un-focus.
October 21, 2006 9:24:01 AM

Quote:
Sad to see the 1100 go.... it was the last of the mATX Dells... now all they have are BTX. It certainly makes Dell less appealing to me.

What does that have to do with anything? :?
October 22, 2006 2:00:58 PM

If you don't get it, I'm not going to bother explaining it to you.
October 22, 2006 2:29:41 PM

Quote:
If you don't get it, I'm not going to bother explaining it to you.

Why? Because there's is no real reason?

For small PC's there's nothing wrong with BTX. Most people never open their PC up. Justify your opinion of get bent
October 22, 2006 2:42:02 PM

You get bent. I don't have to justify my opinion to you.
October 22, 2006 4:42:21 PM

so... what is wrong with BTX ?... does it have problems for the consumer ?
October 23, 2006 12:05:44 AM

Quote:
You get bent. I don't have to justify my opinion to you.

OMFG the world is really flat. But don't ask me to prove it or justify my opinion.

BTX is great for office and everyday home user PC's. I never said I'd actually want one myself....... I prefer the options that an ATX case gives you in regards to cooling. But BTX has it's place......
October 24, 2006 1:53:31 AM

Quote:
so... what is wrong with BTX ?... does it have problems for the consumer ?

For your average PC user who doesn't care about what's inside the PC? Nothing as far as I can tell. Funnily enough Joe hasn't come back with any reasons why it's not good for your average user either......
October 24, 2006 2:18:11 AM

There are none actually. Its just not supported anymore. Funny thing is that the XPS 700 is BTX. I don't know if anyone said this or not, but thats the truth.
October 24, 2006 2:24:54 AM

Quote:
There are none actually. Its just not supported anymore. Funny thing is that the XPS 700 is BTX. I don't know if anyone said this or not, but thats the truth.

I think companies like Dell, HP, IBM and the rest may still get support but BTX in business machines but for the enthusiast is effectively dead like you said. With the death of Netburst came the death of BTX which was something a lot of people including myself saw coming :)  I do wonder what the next case standard is going to be though. With DX10 graphics cards rumoured to be ****ing hot it's not going to be long before that starts to cause problems in all but the best ATX cases.

Personally I think BTX was a good thing for business machines and everyday home machines.
October 24, 2006 2:27:47 AM

Quote:

Any computer Dell makes is less appealing to me :) 

Fair point. Not sure why a Dell is appealing to anyone other than as a paperweight or a present to give to someone you don't like in the hope that the battery will explode in their face.
October 24, 2006 2:27:55 AM

If you take the improvements from BTX and the improvements from Core 2 and combine them....
Hasn't anyone ever thought about doing so?
October 24, 2006 2:34:38 AM

Quote:
If you take the improvements from BTX and the improvements from Core 2 and combine them....
Hasn't anyone ever thought about doing so?

Well it's funny. People love the idea of having to buy a new CPU, mobo, memory, PSU and graphics card to be able to build a new PC but there was a strong rebellion against BTX for some reason. I personally think case manufacturers had a part in this because they were the ones who were going to lose out with lower profits due to having to retool their production lines to churn out BTX stuff. Personally I wasn't that fussed. I had to buy a new case for a new PC this year so I wasn't loosing out :)  It disappoints me though because I thought forums like this were performance oriented and IF a BTX case can cool better than an ATX case then surely that's a good thing right? 8O
October 24, 2006 2:40:17 AM

The wind tunnel design for BTX actually works better for cooling the hot cards like my GX2 and carries heat away better than the multi fan ATX options. It only tanked for the reason you stated an I also believe because it was tied to Netburst and Intel's proprietariness
October 24, 2006 6:03:35 AM

Quote:
Funnily enough Joe hasn't come back with any reasons why it's not good for your average user either......

It's not "funnily"...the reason I didn't bother to bicker with you over this is b/c you're just being a wanker, but if you want to argue over MY OPINION, let's go at it then:

Quote:
OMFG the world is really flat. But don't ask me to prove it or justify my opinion.

Ignorant bastard. I stated my opinion, I wrote that Dells are now less appealing TO ME. Not less appealing to you or anyone else. You want to argue with me why Dells are now less appealing to me? :? You're not going to win that argument. If you want to argue that BTX is just as good as mATX for the average consumer, let me ask you this question:

Let's say there are two automobiles, alike in price, features, quality, and performance, but from different manufacturers. If you were an "average" motorist, which would you buy for your general transportation needs: The automobile that can be serviced quickly and inexpensively at your local garage, or the automobile that requires you to take it to the expensive out-of-town dealership, where it must sit for a couple weeks waiting for parts to arrive every time it needs service?

BTX is obviously dead, and with no hope of an aftermarket motherboard replacement, buying a BTX Dell puts the user in a situation where a replacement motherboard must be sourced from Dell, meaning a lot of cash for a replacement, if there is one, once your computer goes out of warranty. Excuse me for not being such a dolt as you, but I definitely won't lay down my money for what should be considered to be now a proprietary format when other PC vendors continue to offer competitively priced computers that utilize the universal mATX standard that can be upgraded with an aftermarket motherboard or PSU if need be.

Would you like to continue to argue?
October 24, 2006 3:18:18 PM

Quote:
Funnily enough Joe hasn't come back with any reasons why it's not good for your average user either......

It's not "funnily"...the reason I didn't bother to bicker with you over this is b/c you're just being a wanker, but if you want to argue over MY OPINION, let's go at it then:

Quote:

Ignorant bastard. I stated my opinion, I wrote that Dells are now less appealing TO ME. Not less appealing to you or anyone else. You want to argue with me why Dells are now less appealing to me? :? You're not going to win that argument. If you want to argue that BTX is just as good as mATX for the average consumer, let me ask you this question:

Let's say there are two automobiles, alike in price, features, quality, and performance, but from different manufacturers. If you were an "average" motorist, which would you buy for your general transportation needs: The automobile that can be serviced quickly and inexpensively at your local garage, or the automobile that requires you to take it to the expensive out-of-town dealership, where it must sit for a couple weeks waiting for parts to arrive every time it needs service?

BTX is obviously dead, and with no hope of an aftermarket motherboard replacement, buying a BTX Dell puts the user in a situation where a replacement motherboard must be sourced from Dell, meaning a lot of cash for a replacement, if there is one, once your computer goes out of warranty. Excuse me for not being such a dolt as you, but I definitely won't lay down my money for what should be considered to be now a proprietary format when other PC vendors continue to offer competitively priced computers that utilize the universal mATX standard that can be upgraded with an aftermarket motherboard or PSU if need be.

Would you like to continue to argue?

There's no need to throw your toys out of the pram dude :roll:

All I did was ask you to justify your opinion ....... you can' go around saying "I don't like this" or "I don't like that" and when asked to justify your opinion reply with "You get bent. I don't have to justify my opinion to you." or "If you don't get it, I'm not going to bother explaining it to you."

People come to a forum to share advice and opinions. You can't simply come out on a forum and say I don't like this or that and expect to have people not question your opinion if they don't disagree. It smacks of childishness in the extreme.
October 24, 2006 3:26:39 PM

Ay yo, lets keep this chill, shall we?
October 24, 2006 3:28:18 PM

Quote:
Ay yo, lets keep this chill, shall we?

Or what? You'll flip out and kill me? :p 
October 24, 2006 3:34:38 PM

The TOS dictates that I can't threaten you, but, I'd warn you not to stay in the dark, or in isolated corners too long.... :wink:
October 24, 2006 4:02:58 PM

Quote:
The TOS dictates that I can't threaten you, but, I'd warn you not to stay in the dark, or in isolated corners too long.... :wink:

But being a ninja I don't think "flipping out and killing someone" is so much a threat as a promise. Am I right or am I right?
October 24, 2006 4:13:37 PM

Quote:

Any computer Dell makes is less appealing to me :) 

Fair point. Not sure why a Dell is appealing to anyone other than as a paperweight or a present to give to someone you don't like in the hope that the battery will explode in their face.

Meh...my friend recently purchased a XPS 410 from Dell... 1300 bucks.. not bad.

I built the same system on Newegg.com and it DID come out cheaper... but only by about... 200 bucks... so that 200 bucks was buying you a 1 year hardware warranty (1 place to call for warranty replacements) as well as a pre-assembeled system that was at your door in 3-5 business days with free shipping... not a bad deal at all I say. I told my friend that I would assemble his system free of charge and he said "nah, the system coming pre assembled plus the 1 place to call for hardware warranty is worth the extra 200"

just a quick EDIT:

That guy is right... he does NOT have to explain his opinion to you nor anyone... but coming onto a forum and giving opinions without reason or justification seems a bit... I don't know... moronic?
October 24, 2006 4:33:33 PM

Quote:

But being a ninja I don't think "flipping out and killing someone" is so much a threat as a promise. Am I right or am I right?
You are correct *slides back into the darkness..*