Cables for Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

Instructions for the Transfer Wizard variously call for a "null modem serial
cable," a "Serial Pc to PC File Transfer Cable," etc. The guy at my local
CompUSA wrinkled his brow and said "What, you want the computers to talk to
each other?" Yes, I said. He sold me a "USB Link Cable," which came with
its own software, called "PC-Linq". That made the transfer of FILES (between
my OLD and NEW Dell desktops) quite simple, but it didn't, of course,
transfer the settings. When I then tried to run the Wizard for that, the two
machines never connected. Is there any way to use this "USB Link Cable"
(which seems to be just a cable with USB connections on each end) with the
Wizard? If not, where do I have to go for the magic "null modem serial
cable"? MANY THANKS, Jerry in New Orleans
1 answer Last reply
More about cables files settings transfer wizard

    Cables That Are Compatible with Direct Cable Connection
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310576

    HOW TO: Set Up a Direct Cable Connection Between Two Computers in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305621

    [[A direct cable connection is a link between the input/output (I/O) ports
    of two computers by using a single cable rather than a modem or other
    interfacing device. In most cases, you make a direct cable connection with a
    null modem cable. You can use a direct cable connection to transfer
    information between the computers to exchange files, access resources, and
    so on.]]
    =========

    How to Configure a Direct Cable Connection with Windows XP Home Edition
    (PART 1)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B814981

    8 parts with pictures!!
    ===

    How to Create a Direct Cable Connection
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/networking/cablecon.asp

    Cables That Are Compatible with Direct Cable Connection
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310576

    Unable to Connect Using Direct Cable Connection
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310152

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:7CF004E7-1DFE-400B-8C34-57DA64F610B5@microsoft.com,
    Jerry <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Instructions for the Transfer Wizard variously call for a "null modem
    > serial cable," a "Serial Pc to PC File Transfer Cable," etc. The guy
    > at my local CompUSA wrinkled his brow and said "What, you want the
    > computers to talk to each other?" Yes, I said. He sold me a "USB
    > Link Cable," which came with its own software, called "PC-Linq".
    > That made the transfer of FILES (between my OLD and NEW Dell
    > desktops) quite simple, but it didn't, of course, transfer the
    > settings. When I then tried to run the Wizard for that, the two
    > machines never connected. Is there any way to use this "USB Link
    > Cable" (which seems to be just a cable with USB connections on each
    > end) with the Wizard? If not, where do I have to go for the magic
    > "null modem serial cable"? MANY THANKS, Jerry in New Orleans

Cable Windows XP