I need help troubleshooting this

k61824

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2005
ok, it is best to put in OC not because I have oc'ed the rig, but it do look like something related to heat problems.

I have never OC'ed any part of my rig :roll: , and out of nowhere my computer will crash and when it restarts immediately it kind of stuck to blank screen (before POST, so it doesn't seems to be a SW error). no beeps, no strange noises. 8O CPU fans/Video card fan/PS fan seems to spin properly (airflow from GPU heatsink + no strange noises seems to be the case for video card, PS and CPU fans are obvious).

when I shut down the rig for like ~20 mins or so it seems to be able to turn on properly again (it seems to have same problems if the off time is less). I need info on where to start troubleshooting (the fact I have no handy replacement parts makes it a pain in the butt... otherwise I can try swapping things around).

I have the following rig:
2x opteron 240
4x512MB kingston ECC REG VALUERAM (2 on each CPU)
Tyan S2895
ATI AIW x600
2x seagate SATA 120G raid 0
SB audigy 2 ZS platinum
Generic DVD drive+ LG DVD RW
Enermax Liberty 620W

It sounds like a thermal problem, since you say a short "off" time is less likely to help than a longer one.
You say all the fans are running, so how warm is the air coming out of your rig's various orifices?
Does it crash with the case open?
Perhaps after a crash it would be useful to carefully feel around for something too hot somewhere.

MCGTech

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
ok, it is best to put in OC not because I have oc'ed the rig, but it do look like something related to heat problems.

I have never OC'ed any part of my rig :roll: , and out of nowhere my computer will crash and when it restarts immediately it kind of stuck to blank screen (before POST, so it doesn't seems to be a SW error). no beeps, no strange noises. 8O CPU fans/Video card fan/PS fan seems to spin properly (airflow from GPU heatsink + no strange noises seems to be the case for video card, PS and CPU fans are obvious).

when I shut down the rig for like ~20 mins or so it seems to be able to turn on properly again (it seems to have same problems if the off time is less). I need info on where to start troubleshooting (the fact I have no handy replacement parts makes it a pain in the butt... otherwise I can try swapping things around).

I have the following rig:
2x opteron 240
4x512MB kingston ECC REG VALUERAM (2 on each CPU)
Tyan S2895
ATI AIW x600
2x seagate SATA 120G raid 0
SB audigy 2 ZS platinum
Generic DVD drive+ LG DVD RW
Enermax Liberty 620W

Given a 20 Min. cooldown time, an overheated hard disk is a possibility but you should be seeing drive errors if that's ths case. Have you looked at the event logs?

In some cases with the drives one atop the other they can overheat due to poor ventilation. On reboot a drive can be present yet unresponsive to the system. You see absolutely nothing on POST? Maybe overheated chipset or ram. Are the three chipset heatsinks on the motherboard free of dust?