My computer looks like a jungle

MingoDynasty

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
The inside of my computer looks like a jungle. I must have liek 1000 wires going everywhere. Is there any way to make it look seksi? I have a side-panel display in my case so it'd be nice if I could have something nice to look at :p

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
alot of people tuck their wires around and behind the front dock for all the drives. If you have a small case and you cant do that very well try winding up your wires and use twisty ties to tie the wires together.

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I group my cables together and tie tape around them. Then I tie them off to the side.

The motherboard cables to the front of the case - I just tape together then tape to the bottom of my case.

Send a pic of the inside of your case and then I'll see what you can do.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Rounded IDE Cables help (correct length of course, extra length = extra cluter).

Again zip ties or twist ties. If you want to get really fancy, you can get some shrink wrap.

If you want to spend some money, get a modular power supply.

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I cut the extra cable and connector of the ends of my IDE cables then I folded them over twice so they're small like rounded IDE cables then taped them together. It was a quick fix and free if you have free tape.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I got so many wires also, but I couldn't get rid of them by tucking the wires out of site and so I just replace most of the wire with green so at least they would look the same. Doesn't really bother me though, except them black and red wires. I tape most of it to the side of my case. I'll just aviod looking at it. :p

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I cut the extra cable and connector of the ends of my IDE cables then I folded them over twice so they're small like rounded IDE cables then taped them together. It was a quick fix and free if you have free tape.

Didn't know you could just cut the additional IDE connector off. Good tip about the twist + tape method. You might even be able to twist + wrap them.

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Back in the days of 40 wire IDE cables I used to rip the cable down (seperate wires) then twist and tape but I found sometimes the cables would cause probs. Now I just fold them twice. I haven't tried twisting the 80 wire cables though.

When you cut off the end connector and extra cable make the cut flush against the existing connector and ensure to use a razor or something really sharp cause otherwise the wires may get pinched / smudged together and touch each other. I had it happen the first time I cut it but luckily I saw it and fixed it.

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Awesome setup. Swap file on 2nd disk? What types of temps are your drives running at? I have two drives, a 160gb running at 37c and a 250gb drive running at 41c. Ultimately I'd like to make a new case and have all my drives in a seperate addon box. What power supply are you using?

Thank you, My swap file is still on the c: drive, I tried running it from the 2nd drive but didn’t see any noticeable performance increase so I put it back on the main drive, the temps run at 37c to 41-42c depending on ambient temp of the room and how hard I’ve been fragging :lol: , and the PSU is an EZ Cool 600w, not the best but far from the worst and it hasn’t given me any problems [crosses fingers] and it was quite reasonably priced, here’s a link if your interested :- http://www.aria.co.uk/productinfocomm.asp?id=19862

Wow look at that rad.....3 120's.... Sh1T

@ mousemonkey nice cable work....i will post mine.... all the mess :)

hpim1040oa7.jpg

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005
I know I posted these before,but:
what I did,was gutted the case and drilled holes in the side and ran the wiring between the right side panel and chassis.Just make sure u blow it out with compressed air and wipe it down.
before
newrig2.jpg

after
p1010003.jpg

p1010005.jpg

1.jpg

Sweet 8), What case is that dude?, I like the way the side fans are mounted, any chance of a pic with the side on or is it a clear one that my old and slightly drunk eyes can't see (Jack Daniels, you gotta love that man :) )

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Did you make that side fan thing or did you buy it somewhere? Iv'e been looking to buy something like that...

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I've got that same Sonata 2 case, but I've got the zalman 7700cu instead of the 9500, and a shiny silver aerocool 120mm on the back.

I've actually just ordered a Seasonic M12 modular PSU and some right angled SATA cables to help clean mine up. That 450W antec PSU is good, but the cables have been bugging me, and my cable management isn't as nice as yours, although with my motherboard at least I don't have to run a SATA cable to the far side.

I see you mounted a front 120mm fan as well (mounted with zap straps), I moved my stock case fan there (mounted with paperclips, :lol: )

Do you know anywhere I can get a windowed side panel for that case? I don't really even care if I can see in, but I would like to put a side intake fan in it.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'm running 2x250GB and 1 320GB drives in my rig. I wish I had more than 4 SATA ports on my mb, my next drive (my three are almost full) will have to be bigger, probably either a 500 or 750GB seagate. I never though I'd say this, but 820GB just isn't enough!

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005
Sweet 8), What case is that dude?, I like the way the side fans are mounted, any chance of a pic with the side on or is it a clear one that my old and slightly drunk eyes can't see (Jack Daniels, you gotta love that man :) )

it is the thermaltake v1000 series case,the side fans are part of it,it comes with 7 case fans.
p1010001.jpg

jonkc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Mine used to look like that, until I re-wired the case. If you have a case that you can take the side next to the MB off, there should be enough room to route cables there. After doing this, my temps dropped like 4-5C... Still going to upgrade my case to a Tsunami soon though...

JonC

TRENDING THREADS