Mustek TWAIN crashes when 2nd gray scan in XP?

Jan

Any trick to fix this problem?

I have Mustek 1200ED. For colors and fax scan (pure black) it works OK, but
when scanning gray, it will crash on the second scan.

I'm using the standard MS Photo Editor.

"Jan" <janoleolsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Any trick to fix this problem?
>
> I have Mustek 1200ED. For colors and fax scan (pure black) it works OK,
> but
> when scanning gray, it will crash on the second scan.
>
> I'm using the standard MS Photo Editor.

Maybe a memory problem with your system. Or with MS photo Editor.

Make sure you have enough HD space and your virtual memory setting is large
enough. Virtual memory is HD space.

Most scanners must have at least 64 Megabytes of ram in the computer. If
part of the 64 MB is shared with video, then you do not have 64 MB of ram
for programs.

The amount of virtual memory need for a 8.5 inch by 11 inch scan at 1200
dpi, which you should never need (Flat stuff, no more that 600 DPI) is:

8.5 inches X 1200dpi = 10200 pixels
11 inches X 1200dpi = 13200 pixels
10200 X 13200 = 134,640,000 pixels.
Each pixel is about one byte. (256 levels fits in one byte)

So that is 134,640,000 bytes of space for an 8 bit gray scan of 8.5 X 11 at
1200DPI.

Scan one image then save that image. Close the twain interface (to clear the
temp memory usage). Open twain then scan another. You may have to close the
photo editor also.

In short you need more horsepower. More ram, more hard drive and faster CPU.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Jan

I don't understand why gray should consume more power than color at
same low resolution (150dpi). I'm using XP with 256MB RAM.

> I don't understand why gray should consume more power than color at
> same low resolution (150dpi). I'm using XP with 256MB RAM.

Details?
Model No. of scanner.
How is the scanner connected to computer, USB, SCSI or Parallel?
Describe the problem in more detail.
Maybe the steps you take and what the error message is. How does the TWAIN
crash?

What do you mean by "more power"?

--
CSM1