Your question

need help wife driving me crazy

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 19, 2006 11:47:19 PM

ok i need a new processer for wifes cp and a motherboard. just installed bf2142 and she is having problems playing it. the game requares a min of 1.7 giherts processer and she has a 1.4. i need advice on what type to order her and would like for it to be under 150 shipped if posible. and it has to be agp and have 4 slots for ram thanks

More about : wife driving crazy

October 20, 2006 12:27:39 AM

You could always upgrade to Wife 2.0 :) 

Might cost "just a little" more than the $150.00 though :) 

Sorry lack of sleep does that to a guy...
October 20, 2006 12:34:57 AM

Quote:
ok i need a new processer for wifes cp and a motherboard. just installed bf2142 and she is having problems playing it. the game requares a min of 1.7 giherts processer and she has a 1.4. i need advice on what type to order her and would like for it to be under 150 shipped if posible. and it has to be agp and have 4 slots for ram thanks

What is her current setup? What parts are you planning to re-use. What ram do you have, Expansion cards, etc...
Related resources
October 20, 2006 12:51:37 AM

For a guy with a 12 yo spelling skill level, you are lucky you found her :lol:  So buy her whatever she wants :wink:
October 20, 2006 1:35:36 AM

So your wife plays BF ?

:?:
October 20, 2006 1:37:31 AM

I am a poor college student, I'm not ready to commit, yet. :lol: 
October 20, 2006 1:49:38 AM

The best advice you will get on this forum regarding wives and children is: DON'T HAVE EITHER !!!! They really cut into your goofing off time :D 

Ain't that right boys ?
October 20, 2006 1:52:47 AM

Marriage - Man made prisons. You get up in the morning. She's there. You go to sleep at night. She's there. It's like you gotta ask permission to use the bathroom. Is it all right if I use the bathroom now?
October 20, 2006 1:54:46 AM

Nah been married 18 years now... Two kids...

And

I'm still a goof off at least that is what my wife tells me... :) 

OT....

Still need sys details...
October 20, 2006 2:23:52 AM

Quote:
You could always upgrade to Wife 2.0

thats a good one :lol: 

"come on baby lets have sex" qoute barbara
"we have been married for 20 years cant we just be friends" quote larry
:) 
October 20, 2006 2:55:22 AM

Sorry for the spelling. Now she has a x1700 amd and 1 gig of 2700 ram, sound card, and an atix850Pro video card. If that helps.
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2006 3:07:17 AM

It does help. Will make it easier to make good recommendations!
October 20, 2006 3:17:08 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the spelling. Now she has a x1700 amd and 1 gig of 2700 ram, sound card, and an atix850Pro video card. If that helps.

Do you mean athlon 1700???, if so, see if your motherboard is compatible with a semperon it should be there both socket A, you should be able to get the 2ghz semperon for around 70 and that should do the job for you.
October 20, 2006 4:36:09 AM

Quote:
yeah its a socket A. so you think that will help? I was looking at this processer and the motherboard that was mentioed in an earlyer post.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819116175
think this would be better cause right now the processer is the bottleneck right?

That would work too, but if you were to get a new motherboard too, I would recomend getting a socket 775 or AM2 and getting new ram too. The semperon a much cheaper and more power efficient processor it also produces less heat and noise but it does lack the power of that P4. It depends on how much you want to spend, I would recomend a +3200 barton if you could find one also but they are kinda rare, but would be cheaper they run at 2.2. I have a system running the barton and it runs well ehough. I recomend not getting the P4 its too power hungry, to noisy, though it is powerful you will be getting a new motherboard and if you get a new motherboard I recomend ether an AM2 or 755 proc and DDR2 ram. Also keep in mind that there is more than just the X.XGhz speed that determins performance. I hope this helps.
October 20, 2006 1:51:18 PM

I also recommend the Barton core Sempron's or Athlon XP. Be careful though because not all Socket A Sempron's are made the same. I think that only the 3000+ and 3200+ Semprons have Barton cores with 512K L2 Cache.

I also have two machines using Barton core Athlon's and they still perform very well with games etc. Although I know you can pick up a new Fell for $400 if you really aren't willing to spend that much money then the CPU alone might be the best idea.
October 20, 2006 3:38:14 PM

Intel Pentium 4 2.8 Northwood $70 shipped
ASRock P4i65G Socket 478 Intel 865G Micro ATX $53 shipped
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 4 ACFZ4 80mm Ceramic CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink $26 shipped

$149 total w/ shipping included

Complete drop-in upgrade and perfect match for your x850 card. It's going to be tough to get an A64 setup since you only have PC2700 I think even the semprons use DDR400, I recall having issues using DDR333 with my A84-2800 on nforce-3, can't remember if it didn't work at all or was crappy performance with the memory divider...? with the P4 setup, it's 533 running ddr266 so it will definitly work...

Hopefully you have a 300w PSU at least? This is probably a bit high since I used the x850xt.

Quote:
eXtreme PSU calc"]System Type: Single Processor
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 B 2800 MHz Northwood
CPU Utilization (TDP): 85% TDP

RAM: 2 Sticks DDR SDRAM
Video Card: ATI Radeon X850 XT
Video Type: Single Card

IDE HDD 7200 rpm: 1 HDD

DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive

Fans
Regular: 1 Fan 80mm; 1 Fan 120mm;

Motherboard, keyboard and mouse: Yes

PSU Utilization: 100 %

Total: 231 Watts

© 2004 - 2006 OuterVision.com and it's licensors. All rights reserved.
[/url]
October 20, 2006 8:31:13 PM

I am willing to buy 2 gigs of faster ram If it will atleast last her another year or 2. Ther is a 450 watt powersupply in that cp.
October 21, 2006 3:43:03 AM

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ ? 939socket? 8O
strongly disagree, in another year or two he's going to have to upgrade again.

He should go with am2 or 775. preferably c2d e6300, ds3 or p5b mobo very good bang for buck and unbelievable performance(highly ocable). Remember, satisfying ones wife is a key to happy marriage :lol: 
October 21, 2006 4:20:33 AM

Quote:
I also recommend the Barton core Sempron's or Athlon XP. Be careful though because not all Socket A Sempron's are made the same. I think that only the 3000+ and 3200+ Semprons have Barton cores with 512K L2 Cache.

I also have two machines using Barton core Athlon's and they still perform very well with games etc. Although I know you can pick up a new Fell for $400 if you really aren't willing to spend that much money then the CPU alone might be the best idea.

The barton core was in the athlon but it is the 3000 and 3200
October 21, 2006 4:22:11 AM

Quote:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ ? 939socket? 8O
strongly disagree, in another year or two he's going to have to upgrade again.

He should go with am2 or 775. preferably c2d e6300, ds3 or p5b mobo very good bang for buck and unbelievable performance(highly ocable). Remember, satisfying ones wife is a key to happy marriage :lol: 

Agreed
October 21, 2006 12:09:23 PM

Quote:
He should go with am2 or 775. preferably c2d e6300, ds3 or p5b mobo

Agreed, unfortunately none of what you listed supports AGP and OP wants to reuse.
October 21, 2006 12:39:01 PM

Quote:
In that case, try something like this:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ $55 shipped
ASRock 939Dual-VSTA Socket 939 ULi M1695 $70 shipped
Crucial Technology 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 500 $220 shipped w/ $30 MIR

$345 total ($315 after rebates)

The motherboard is cool it has both AGP and PCI-E so it does have both dual-core and GPU upgradability. Too bad memory prices suck at the moment, but that will help greatly with BF2xxx performance...

I concur. I had the older model of that same board and the same CPU, and I can say it's pretty good, and cheap. I picked mine up for 60 bucks back when it was fresh on the market, but that was some time ago when I didn't have the cash for an X800 (which I have now). The ram is a solid choice too, value-wise. Crucial isn't exactly performance, but, good enough, eh? It's a good platform right there, although I say, the bump up to an X2 will give you much longer life from your platform. An open box X2 4200 is 150 right now, so it's up to you.
October 21, 2006 8:18:54 PM

Just be aware that if you change to a new MOBO and/or an Intel CPU, you will need re-install Windows. If you stick with AMD, you can probably get away with a repair installation.
October 21, 2006 8:23:10 PM

yeah,i agree with the setup you recommend. A socket 939 MB and cpu wouldn´t be a bad solution neither if it comes with a CPU bigger than 3000+,maybe a 3800x2.you can reuse the current RAM and upgrade with another gigabyte.The Asrock 939 dual-vsta has four RAM-slots and both PCI-E and AGP.Either way she should be good for a year or two.

No path is future proof. i know some say that s939 is dead,but it still supports decent cpu´s and is a cheap alternative unless you have to have top-of-the-line stuff. An Athlon 4000x2 is still a pretty decent cpu,even if it gets annihilated by the core 2 duo´s.
October 21, 2006 10:21:56 PM

Yup,shouldn´t be a problem. I use the same motherboard,but only with a 3000+. But the mb supports x2 cpu´s also.

I just noticed it´s not a 3800x2,so it´s definetly no problem.But the recomended is better due to the dual core.Better performance when multitasking.
October 21, 2006 11:22:34 PM

Is the 3800 x2 that much better than a 3800 single core? cause the 3800 x2 is 60 dollars more than the regular one. her cp is mainly used to play bf2 and bf2142 and run game consoles for the game severs.
October 22, 2006 12:00:57 AM

What kind of set up does she have? With the right board you should be able to overclock that XP to either a 2000+ or higher. I have one set on an NForce2 board to 166 FSB and it runs at 1.8

If you play on a regular basis it might be a good time to upgrade though.....holiday season get your wife a new system. AsusRock has some good and cheap mother boards that will take Core2 or AMD chips and they still run AGP slots.
October 22, 2006 12:53:05 AM

The single-core should work out just fine, it is much better than the 3000 and definitly worth the extra bucks. However, AMD is slowly starting to phase out all 939's through the end of December:

Quote:
X-bit labs"]
[/url]
So it may be a good time to dive into a dual-core purchase, budget permitting of course. The next-gen games may take advantage of the extra cpu, so it's a tough call.
October 22, 2006 12:57:06 AM

Ya it was tough to resist those low prices on the 939 cpus but I am gonna wait until the quad core cpus come out and are established before my next up grade............if I can resist the dual core that long ... :wink:
October 22, 2006 1:27:35 AM

I almost forgot, asrock has an interesting product the AM2CPU board...

Basically it plugs into the yellow upgrade slot and allows you to get an AM2 and DDR2 into that board as an upgrade. It's cheap as well only $30 from ewiz. I imagine these will sell like hotcakes in 2007.

I imagine if your running MS Vista it will think you upgraded your system and force another license purchase :wink:
October 22, 2006 1:41:42 AM

Yea I actually saw one of those and thought about picking it up. I only found one site that sells it and was not sure if I should take the chance.
October 22, 2006 2:24:14 AM

sup man:

My whole problem with this scenario is that the technology you are wanting to implement for a quick fix is already obsolete, and has been for 2 years now.
The problem in the short term is the new hardware you want to impliment will barely do the job, you might be able to run the game with medium detail settings, if you are lucky.
The problem in the long term is that you are pretty much screwed for anything that comes out in 2007, you just wont have the power.
The reason why is games are going to be utilizing more and more impressive physics, whether game companies decide to use the second core on the CPU, with a software based physics emulator, or a hardware version built right on the GPU, either way you are just screwed if you try and get away with throwing a couple hundred bucks at the problem hoping it will go away because it wont.
In my oppinion the best solution is to drop $900 on it and get it out of the way, you will need a entirely new computer core, something like a Core 2 Duo CPU, 2GB of system memory and a motherboard with PCIe, DDR2, SATA2, preferably with Raid capability so later on you can buy a second hard drive and run Raid-0, and a PCIe graphics card, even if its just a 6600GT to get you by for a time untill you can afford to buy a enthusiast card.
What can I say its just time to build a new computer core, and it just isnt going to be cheap, and there isnt anything you can do about it realistically, some might offer transition boards but i dont get those things, if you need a new computer just build one dont mess around. I hate to say this but if its a matter of money show some discipline and save up the cash, dont be a victim of weakness and succumb to the i gotta have it now mentality, it ruins people, just do it right. If you explain to the wife that you are going to build her a state of the art machine, but that you have to save up some cash first, she wont have a problem with waiting, if you set a timeline and stick to your promise, she will be the happiest woman on the planet.
October 22, 2006 2:51:02 AM

Thats a buzz kill man. Just trying to get her up and running for about a year or so. So that we can see what happens with the dx10 cards and processers. I understand that what is the best today is slow and out of date in a month. thank you all for the input. I think I will get her that 3800 ddr and the asrock motherboard. Do you all think that will work well enough. it will be pared with a x850pro agp, 2 gigs of 3200, and 450 watt power supply. Again thanks for the input.
October 22, 2006 3:07:32 AM

That should work fine for her.

In regards to XeenRecoil post I agree with some of what he says eventhough that is not how I do my upgrades. What you could try to do is instead of getting the 939 cpu get a low end AM2 and that way you will have a system with DDR2 that can be used for a future upgrade.

I try to keep a system going for as long as I can. When I upgrade instead of building a completetly new system I try to use some of my old system like the video card, memory, etc. I think it is more cost effective in the long run.

My wife has my old system I built 2+ years ago a Barton 2500+ with 1gig memory, 6800 vanilla. All she plays is City of Heroes and Villians and it works great for her. 1280 by 1024 max settings.
October 22, 2006 4:13:27 AM

Quote:

That would work too, but if you were to get a new motherboard too, I would recomend getting a socket 775 or AM2 and getting new ram too. The semperon a much cheaper and more power efficient processor it also produces less heat and noise but it does lack the power of that P4. It depends on how much you want to spend, I would recomend a +3200 barton if you could find one also but they are kinda rare, but would be cheaper they run at 2.2. I have a system running the barton and it runs well ehough. I recomend not getting the P4 its too power hungry, to noisy, though it is powerful you will be getting a new motherboard and if you get a new motherboard I recomend ether an AM2 or 755 proc and DDR2 ram. Also keep in mind that there is more than just the X.XGhz speed that determins performance. I hope this helps.

I think he said he only had $150. to spend. That limits his options. YEs, a Barton 3200+ would be good. For that matter a 2700+, 2800+, or 3000+ would all be good. Only problem is availability. Shop around, you might find one someplace.
October 22, 2006 11:26:11 AM

Sorry about the late reply,but it´s dark night in my part of the world.
No,it´s not that much better,the single core is good enough,especially with a price diff of 60 bucks.It´s just a standard reply,because more cores is the future way to go.

The 3800,2 gigs of ram,Asrock mb and the 850xt should do fine for a year or two.
Edit: Sorry 850pro...
October 22, 2006 12:26:22 PM

Quote:
Yea I actually saw one of those and thought about picking it up. I only found one site that sells it and was not sure if I should take the chance.

I have not either, but I found reviews of both the motherboard and the AM2CPU upgrade card from OC Workbench. Worth a read if you are considering it, seemed to work without any real issues.
October 22, 2006 1:08:06 PM

pffft dont listen to xeen he dont know what hes talking about.

Build the new system for you and give her your old one like i do :o 

i just built a enw comp she gota 3500+ athlon 64 1 gig ram x850xt PE if she complains well i would just take it back cuz that isnt a bad system at all sinec my barton 3200+ 1 gig ram and 9800xt still runs all the games i currently play.
October 23, 2006 1:42:14 AM

That is what I do too. Wife gets old system and is happy with it. :wink:
October 23, 2006 8:24:26 PM

Well when my wifes machine started blue screening and locking up I built her a faster, quieter dual core system... but she just wants to keep the older, noisier overclocked gaming machine !!! What's a man to do but just keep the better machine and reinstall the OS on the old machine

:) 
October 26, 2006 6:17:29 PM

Quote:

LOL I dont know what im talking about huh?
He is wanting to throw money at a dead horse, you can spend all the money on it you want but it still wont pull the plow son. BF 2142 is going to take a 3Ghz P4c or equivillent CPU and 6800GT graphics card minimum to run at reasonable detail settings, the problem is that is just the minimum it wont go past that game, and he will be screwed for anything in the future, im not going to appoligize for wanting my games to look good when i play them, i want more then low detail settings, not everyone turns their graphics details down to low and sets their resolution at 800x600 so they can get max frame rates just so they can get 100FPS ROFL, most of us want our games to look really good, thats why they call us enthusiasts, because we want the best we can buy, it has to be the best, and fastest, with no comprimise.
Now you can encourage him to upgrade that dead computer if you want to but hes throwing money away.
AGP is dead period no ifs ands or buts, but by all means encourage him if you wish to play the part of the fool.
October 26, 2006 6:33:02 PM

Lowlife;

Trust me when i say it will be in your best intrest to just upgrade your core now, just do it man, you can get a DX10 card when it comes out but you need a mobo with a PCIe slot, you wont hurt yourself by upgrading your core now, like i said just buy a 6600GT graphics card for the time being and wait till the DX10 cards come out, i hate giving bad advice, people that give bad advice piss me off, i wouldnt do that to you. Do this, make a comparasin of what its going to cost you to upgrade to the asrok mobo, CPU, and memory, and keep your current GPU, and what it will cost you to build a state of the art core, with a ASUS mobo, Core 2 DUO, 2GB of DDR2, and a 6600GT, i think you will find you can live with the difference in cost. Do your homework, if you cant live with the cost difference so be it, but its only going to be a difference of a couple hundred bucks and you can even sell your x850pro to make up some of the difference, trust me you will much happier with my solution.
If you want a PCIe graphics card that is faster then the 6600GT until the DX10 cards come out New Egg always has good deals going, and you can always sell that card later too. Just give it some serious thought, i think you will see it is the best solution to the problem.
October 26, 2006 7:49:11 PM

Quote:

LOL I dont know what im talking about huh?
He is wanting to throw money at a dead horse, you can spend all the money on it you want but it still wont pull the plow son. BF 2142 is going to take a 3Ghz P4c or equivillent CPU and 6800GT graphics card minimum to run at reasonable detail settings, the problem is that is just the minimum it wont go past that game, and he will be screwed for anything in the future, im not going to appoligize for wanting my games to look good when i play them, i want more then low detail settings, not everyone turns their graphics details down to low and sets their resolution at 800x600 so they can get max frame rates just so they can get 100FPS ROFL, most of us want our games to look really good, thats why they call us enthusiasts, because we want the best we can buy, it has to be the best, and fastest, with no comprimise.
Now you can encourage him to upgrade that dead computer if you want to but hes throwing money away.
AGP is dead period no ifs ands or buts, but by all means encourage him if you wish to play the part of the fool.

It was a joke mang calm down. I was saying that because you told him to build a new comp for his wife. I was saying build it for him and give his wife the old comp :p  i dont play at anything less then 1920x1200 unless forced to by the game. i want everything to look perfect as well. Even at that res game slike HL2 in max settings alot of the times is over 200 frames. I am by no means telling him to upgrade that thing i was on your side :o  Except for the buying hte new comp for his wife thing XD
October 27, 2006 1:14:43 AM

I think a 6600gt is a downgrade, just $ down the toilet. Even the x800 blows it away

Quote:
anandtech"]ATI Radeon X800

The Radeon X800 is sort of the inverse of the X850 Pro: its basically an underclocked version of the X800 Pro. With a 400MHz core clock and moderately paced 700MHz (effective) memory, this cheap, 12 pixel pipeline, 128mb card is ATI's answer to NV41 (GeForce 6800 non-Ultra). Of course, it's a lot easier to win that battle on the PCI Express side when NV41 is still only really stuck on AGP cards. It will be very interesting to look back and see whose strategy ended up working out better through this transition period. ATI has really made an agressive leap into the arms of PCI Express.

Compared to NVIDIA's GeForce 6600GT:

Showing a 1 - 19% performance lead over the 6600 GT in just every game but Doom 3, the X800 definitely proves its worth here. The 22% lead the 6600 GT holds in Doom 3 does help a little, but the X800 posts 3 big wins and only the one loss.
[/url]

Seems to do good in BF2 I was thinking it's right on the money with my son's 6800gt, this BF2 benchmark @ gamepc.com confirms that - it's neck-in-neck. My son's PC is a 3700 san deigo, 2gb and 6800gt it is definitly playable and I haven't even overclocked it (yet).

I say try and unlock the extra 4 pipes on the x850pro and you have a free x850xt, OC the core / mem and you have a decent setup. Although telling the wife her upgraded pc is as good as my 7yo son probably won't impress her any :p 
October 27, 2006 1:33:18 AM

Quote:
You could always upgrade to Wife 2.0 :) 

Might cost "just a little" more than the $150.00 though :) 

He could probably save a little money by getting the OEM version. Maybe there's a student discount?
October 27, 2006 1:53:25 AM

Quote:
Ok you wanted cheap so here it is. This was the first things i could find.
Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Because the CPU is OEM you will also have to find a CPU cooler. Unless your old system is a socket 478 motherboard then you already have a cooler.

Though i'm surer there are better options out there. Do a little research and see what you can come up with. Don't exspect us to do it for you. But i hop that helps.

This setup is exactly what I have as a backup system & is being over clocked to 3.29Ghz with the stock cooler @ 2GB RAM. It works great & is stable & reliable with Windows XP Pro with an ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 Pro 128MB Agp graphics card.
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!