So, next gen cards in SLI use 800W of power? That's crazy!!

SyPheR

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Well, if it's true that we might get forced by game programmers maybe even nvidia/ati to get recommendations to use SLI cards in the near future (for games) then what are we aiming at? Is Nvidia/ATI hoping for more floods and major earth disasters? No? Look at this movie >>>

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0497116/

I just hope SLI with 800 watts of power need will not be the way to go and that there will come an alternative solution. If anyone disagree's please let me know :) I could be wrong. The Netherlands is still keeping his head above water. Not only the water is rising....so are my electric bills. ;)

ps: So, my question in fact is.....Is it possible to create alternative processing methods that take less power and would be as powerfull in performance as the G80 cards for example?

SyPheR

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Me drinking again? I did drink but that was too long ago... I think you are drinking cause you dont understand my point of view....that's all.

reaper

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005
Dude, how many people you think are gamers? And how many people you think will seriously buy an SLI setup? Stop whining. I understand your concern, but posting your thread here is not gonna make any difference.

Well I've never claimed to be in my right mind so I'm going Sli as soon as I can afford it, I just hope I don't get into the same kinda sh!t when I test my PSU that Kim Jong is getting into. :lol: :lol:

sorry but I had to

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
prozac26 is right, your comment makes no sense at all, if your intention was to make it stupid than cut it out cause it is not cool

if anyone disagree's please let me know I could be wrong.
I am letting you know

RE5PECT

Well, he does have a point (eventhough he could be less Greenpeace sounding): 1KW of power required to run just the graphics is a tad too much for my taste. Personally I'll wait for some refining on the chips and all to get the same performance SLI and Crossfire provide, until it reaches the point where passive cooling and high power can cohabit (see Geforce 7600GT).

I like saving a bit on my power bill, I love the silence, and I get a slightly fuzzy feeling when fragging without laying too much waste on the poles' ice caps :D

SyPheR

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
LOL yes mitch...exactly....soon the Whole Netherlands will dissapear from the face of the earth and pinguins will swim everywhere :) When will we be needing 2Kw powersupplies. Next year?

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I don't deny that pc's are starting to use a $h!tload of power I'm just saying that the world won't come to an end because of it (at least that's my opinion). Anyway, I might have been a little harsh in the way I sated it and for that I apologize.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Well, I'm still running on a 300W psu for my Athlon XP and FX5700. Anyway. I try to do my bit so save energy and all. I actually work for the Prepaid Electricity Department.

harmattan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Yes, we're all very funny...

It's likely NV is exaggerating a bit on the pw requirements for G80 SLI. They did this for 68xx as well as 78/79xx series. Also, the quoted "800W" is probably meant for dual GTX, not GTS. I'd bet a good 700-750W psu would be able to run two 8800GTX's (unless you've got 6 HD's)

SLI (or Crossfire) is not a bad choice if you have the extra $. No, you won't get 2x performance with 2 cards, but it's the only way to get decent FPS with high iq and FPS at 1900x1220 and above.

DeAtHrApToR

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Each card will probably require about 250 - 300 watts a piece, about as much as a current 7900GTX SLI configuration requires total. That leaves 200 - 300 watts for everything else in the computer if you have an 800 watt power supply.

That's just my guess based on all the increases, but it sounds right.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Oh shit, looks like that 6 HDD comment was directed towards me...

Wheres my 1.2kW PSU... where oh where are you...

PSU's can usually deliver up to the wattage they are specified for, some even more for a bit (at least the higher quality ones). A 700W gameXStream will be able to pump out 700W of power when time comes, probably even more.

every little bit helps.

Indeed it does.. I dont think the impact will be too extreame though as these systems (SLI fire breathing monsters) are going to be a small percentage of all the computers out there. If this was for business class PC's then we would be in serious trouble.

Things have improved in the CPU arena power wise and I can only see those sorts of improvement going into the GPU's soon.