Sign in with
Your question

$2K Gaming Rig Sound Card

Last response: in Systems
October 20, 2006 12:19:05 AM

I'm currently making a new gaming rig - it will be roughly under $2K...

Specs:
E6600 Core 2 Duo
2 GB Corsair XMS DDR2 800
Radeon X1900XT/Geforce 7900GTO
Asus P5B Deluxe
700W gameXstream (upgrading to DX10 soon!)
320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATAII
Samsung 20.1 Inch 204B

My speakers are the Logitech X-530 5.1 system (cheap, but i think its pretty good quality)

I'm planning on ordering a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 SB0610
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...

I was wondering how it compares to the Audigy 2 ZS and the X-Fi XtremeMusic...and also to the Audigy 4 Pro...

I'm going to be using this system sound-wise for music (specifically soundtracks) and playing games (Oblivion, BF2, HL2, Quake4).

Suggestions? - the rebate makes it dirt cheap!!

More about : gaming rig sound card

October 20, 2006 12:31:27 AM

Maybe this is just me; I don’t understand why you would want, or the point of another sound card. The mobo already has a nice integrated sound card, with both "true" digital output and analog output. I say true because some motherboards with digital output convert it to analog and then to digital. This board does not. With your current speakers I wouldn't think you would need anything more than the integrated sound card.
Personally I don’t notice the difference between the integrated one and a dedicated card, so I cant justify spending any money on it, even if it is dirt cheap. Especially if all you are doing is gaming and watching videos.
October 20, 2006 4:33:27 AM

I've had a older friend use a Asus P5B Vanilla board - he said it had horrible sound - cracking and such. Once he upgraded to an audigy 2 ZS, he was astounded at the difference....

but back to main topic..XD
Related resources
October 20, 2006 11:16:16 PM

bump :?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 21, 2006 12:52:46 AM

My 2 cents, if anyone cares.
I think onboard sound is terrible, and much, much better sound will come from a dedicated sound card paired with a decent set of speakers.

I would not buy anything from Creative, look at the Turtle Beach cards.

Used to buy Creative products until I caught my current Turtle Beach card on sale one day, and thought what the heck, I'll give one a try. That was about 8 years ago, when PCI was fast becoming the standard and the old ISA slots were quickly dissappearing. I have never, ever thought of getting anything else. Hooked it up with a pair of Altec Lansing speakers and subwoofer. It just flat pumps out some excellent clean, crisp and LOUD, sound. :D 
I just keep migrating it from new build to new build, quick and easy, never a problem of any kind.

It's the ONLY piece of hardware I haven't replaced or upgraded at least 10 times in those 8 years.
October 21, 2006 2:22:03 AM

me a creative fan:) 
!