Can someone tell me why? (PSU + Mobo)

oz3050

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
I tried booting with no components. Motherboard and Athlon64 3500 w/ stock fan/heatsink only. It doesn't even turn on. The CPU and motherboard fans turn slightly then stops.

And RAM of course

redwing

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
The newer motherboards require additional power connectors, aside from the standard 20/24 pin one. Make sure you've connected everything properly (there might be an additional 12V connector going to the mobo), check the user manual if you're not sure.

A system at idle (or during post) consumers <100 W typically, so I dont think it's because your psu is too "weak".

One thing I notice on these forums... every single time someone's having an issue with booting or inability to get a system going, the first thing that everyone recommends is to change components. I consider this equivalent to asking your friend why your car doesnt start, and him replying "because you need a new battery". Yea, he may be right. It's also one of 40 things that could be wrong, and your battery may be perfectly fine.

p.s. look around the CPU area for an additional psu connector, I'm not familiar with the newer amd-based boards, but my 775 abit has an addional power connector near the cpu socket. If I try booting without it, I get the same symptoms as you.

oz3050

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
Yeah there's the 20 pin connector and a 4 pin 12V connector. Both plugged in and should be good to go. I have a ThermalTake 480W power supply and that's running it fine.