Sign in with
Your question

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA Question!

Last response: in Components
October 20, 2006 12:26:42 AM

Hi

I just want to know the differences between the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA that comes with a BOX and the one that comes in plastic.

Thanks
Diego
October 20, 2006 1:23:37 PM

Not sure if I undersand your question correctly, but I interpret it to be what's the difference between the retail version and OEM version?

I'm not sure if the OEM version packaging contains all the below items found in the retail version:

• PCMCIA Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook Audio Card
• Speaker Docking Cable
• Clear Carrying Case
• Creative Earphones
• Quick Start leaflet
• Creative DVD-Audio Sampler Disc
• Sounds Best on Sound Blaster CD
• Installation and Applications CD containing:
o Drivers for Windows® XP & 2000
o Creative Software Suite
o User's Guide

8O
Related resources
October 20, 2006 4:23:26 PM

Ohhhhh, I see now. I think the only big difference is packaging, and if the price is identical I'd go with the box, though I believe the plastic is the newer packaging.

Hmmm...the newer packaging may also carry a newer revision of the hardware.

If you think you may want to return the item it'd be easier to put it back in "As New" condition with the box's packaging, however (which is one reason I believe they've started using the plastic...to dissuade product returns as well as theft).
October 20, 2006 4:55:03 PM

Do you think you can help me to find out if the one in the plastic is a new revision? or has something different?
October 20, 2006 5:20:22 PM

I did a Google search but didn't see anything that would answer that ?? I also looked on Creative's website but didn't find anything either. I'm not sure how to efficiently help with that question.

Here's what I found on Amazon's WS:

Quote:
If you have searched Amazon for an Audigy 2 ZS notebook sound card you may have noticed that the Amazon search engine returns three different results for this product. Two of them (item model # 70sb053000012 and SB0530) priced over $20 than this model. If you are wondering what the difference is between those two and this one, you may be surprised to know that there is none other than the packaging. The two high priced versions come one in a colorful box and the other in a clamshell. This one comes in a plain cardboard box. The contents of the box are exactly the same and so are the technical specifications for the card.

Package contents:

- PCMCIA Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook audio card,
- Speaker docking cable,
- Clear carrying case,
- Creative earphones,
- Quick start leaflet,
- Creative DVD-Audio sampler disc,
- Sounds best on SOUND BLASTER CD installation,
- Applications CD containing: drivers for Windows XP & Windows 2000, Creative software suite, and user's guide.

The one that I bought did not have the latest version of the drivers. However, you can easily download them from the Creative web site together with several upgrades for the applications that come with the card.

So, if you want to save yourself at least $20 to use them towards buying yourself, say, a good speakers system, and you do not care about fancy packaging you may seriously consider buying this one.

I did not experience any problems with my card, like pops/click sounds as those problems are more related to the laptop where you will install the card (e.g. insufficient PCMCIA bandwidth that depends on your system's cardbus controller) than to the card itself. Also, the volume buttons of my laptop (Compaq) do control the card volume.

...that's based off of a reviewers personal experience so I don't know how helpful it is.

Are you also cosidering getting an X-Fi Xmod ( http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=2... ) or you set on 2ZS?
!