Sign in with
Your question

Intel BOXD975XBXLKR or ASUS P5W DH DELUXE..?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • NAS / RAID
  • Intel
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
October 20, 2006 1:48:59 AM

This is my first build and am still stuck on which mobo to choose. I will be setting up the 2 seagates in raid 0 and (maybe/possibly) in the future add 2 more drives in raid 0.
I might not overclock right out of the box, but i would want to get the best speed out of my system by ocing a little. I admit i know nothign bout OCing, but with the equipment im buying, i want it to run as fast as possible, having 1:1 ratio for i believe the fsb and ram? :o 
The intel board has good reviews and seems stable, but i dont understand the need for 3 pcie16x slots and says its not OC friendly.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

More about : intel boxd975xbxlkr asus p5w deluxe

October 23, 2006 4:15:37 AM

Unless you need the 3 PCIe (wich clearly you dont) theres no reason to go for the BadAxe.
How far do you want to push that E6600? I didnt see a HSF in the list.
October 26, 2006 2:11:31 PM

Updated the specs on my build:
I took out the Case and Speakers, as i already bought them:
Antec p180 Black for $95 shipped
Logitech z-5500 for $222 shipped

I added a HSF and Artic 5 and changed my RAM from Super Talent to Corsair (saves me $20)

I'm looking to get atlest 3.3 to 3.5 with this setup, and im leaning towards the asus board. I do need the pci slots, as one will be for the Sound Card and the other 2 for TV Tuner Cards. Raid is also important to me.

So, if anyone has any other suggestions as to which motherboard, im listening :) 

Thanks
Related resources
October 26, 2006 3:06:08 PM

I take it you don't have an interest in the onboard sound? The Intel got very good reviews for onboard HD Audio sound quality. Also, does the logitech setup take a SP/DIF input or analog only? I've been using the optical digital audio out from my D955XBK (wish I had the 975...) and it's been outstanding. DVDs pass-through DTS-ES or DDL-EX with no problem, and ripped CD sound quality is also excellent. The board also comes with 7.1 analog out, but I haven't used it due to lack of need.

I ask, because this can save you a few $, and also a PCI slot (not to be confused with PCIe slot of course). That in turn might make the Intel work better for you than currently, as I believe it only has two PCI slots?

I cannot speak for the ASUS product, but I can say that my experience with a similar Intel board to the 975XBX has been very good. It is sturdy, robust, has very usable documentation, and a decent set of accessories (cables, front panel unit, etc.).

If you need internal wifi then you might want to go with the ASUS board, to save yourself another PCI slot.
October 26, 2006 4:34:06 PM

No, i wasnt planning on using the onboard sound, as I was looking forward to EAX 5 that creative offers.
The z5500 has a lot of connections (6 total) including analog, optical, and coaxial.
I have a question about your setup, since your using the digital out for dvd playback, do you (if you do any gaming) plug in headphones? What happens when you have headphones connected to the analog and also the optical connected, does optical override the analog or can you choose which one to output from your desktop or do you have to physcially unplug the optical cable and plug in the analog?
If its the latter, thats the reason i was going for a sound card with a breakout box, since all the connections are in the front and i wont be goin back n forth unplugging wires.
Also, your ripped songs only give u 2.1 stereo output through your optical out correct?

I'll be buying this system after Nov 3rd, so i have a little time to decide on the mobo (although i did jump on the deal for the case and speakers).

Thanks
October 26, 2006 5:27:02 PM

Quote:
do you (if you do any gaming) plug in headphones? What happens when you have headphones connected to the analog and also the optical connected, does optical override the analog or can you choose which one to output from your desktop or do you have to physcially unplug the optical cable and plug in the analog?

I don't use headphones b.c. I like the 7.1 surround setup I have, but I can say that the output is controlled by a checkbox in the audio control panel. I wouldn't need to physically unplug anything to use headphones.

Ripped CDs are output in 2.0 PCM format, which my receiver then converts to 2.1 for the subwoofer. I could, however, use the Intel Audio control panel (not sure what it's called exactly - I'm not at home) to generate surround ambience to > 2 channels if I wanted to - it works similar to the sound fields on a Sony receiver, if you're familiar with that.

Quote:
No, i wasnt planning on using the onboard sound, as I was looking forward to EAX 5 that creative offers.

Now I need to read up on EAX. Does that support multi-channel sound? If so, I might look into getting some kind of card for that, presumably for gaming.

One other thing: When you build your system, you can get the files for the RAID driver floppy disk (for O/S install) from the Intel site. I noticed that the ASUS comes with a CD to make them, but this might be easier for you - and you'll have the latest. RAID 0 is fast - I have it in a 4-way config. You might consider RAID 1 or RAID 10 for irreplacable or PITA to recover stuff (e.g. your O/S), and RAID 0 for your fast stuff. The Intel matrix storage drivers allow you to do this using the same drives for multiple RAID configs.
October 27, 2006 1:04:06 AM

I was talking about the PCI Express X16 slots but the other info comes in handy.
The P5W DH will get you to 3.5Ghz, but no futher.
With the P5B Deluxe you could use the 3 PCI slots while and its currently the best OCing mobo, hits 500Mhz all the time. Quad-core ready.
October 27, 2006 6:33:55 PM

Yeah, i took a look at the p5b deluxe also and its OCing capabilities. Although i'll be happy with 3.3 OC, to me its Stability, Raid, and then OC. Thats the reason i was leaning towards the Intel board b/c of how stable it is and its raid options..but the 3pcie slots does turn me off...the price has come down on the board too tho, newegg for 235$.
How far can i push the Intel Mobo, will 3.3/3.4 be possible? Maybe i can live with 2 pci slots by get a dual tuner pci card.
the p5b deluxe (non wifi version, i dont need the wifi) looks promissing, offers good raid and is a little cheaper too, i'll read up on it and take it into consideration.

On a side note, my Case and Speakers arrived today...damn, the black p180 is one sexy lookin case :o 

Edit: My of my friends mentioned the Abit AW9D-Max (he loves abit boards)...although it only has one pci slot, it does come with its own sound card...which might be enough for me to route all DTS/Dolby thru the Optical to the z5500 and everything thu the analog? (i dunno how headphones would work out w/ that setup tho). Is the AW9D-Max a stable card? Newegg doesnt have it so no reviews there, i'll search on these forums :) 
October 27, 2006 7:07:31 PM

965's tend to have more raid options at a lower price point. As newer bioses roll out, they've gotten every bit as stable as their 975 counterparts. P5B deluxe is an excellent choice, as is the Gigabyte DQ6 or DS3. Only real problem I see with this is your memory, what corsair are you looking at? Cuz if it's above 1.9V you'll have trouble booting if you get a mobo with older bios. Seems the 965 won't boot with memory that has a stock high voltage.
October 27, 2006 11:03:21 PM

Quote:
Cuz if it's above 1.9V you'll have trouble booting if you get a mobo with older bios. Seems the 965 won't boot with memory that has a stock high voltage.

That problem was almost exclusively with the P5B Deluxe, but now im completly fixed (after the first BIOS revision) and most memory on the market is JEDEC 1.8v aprooved anyways.
October 27, 2006 11:46:57 PM

Well, my DQ6 gave me problems, but the first bios rev fixed it. Any board purchased today SHOULD be updated, but you never know.... Either way I think the 965 is a more robust platform.
!