Sign in with
Your question

Obligatory request for CPU upgrade suggestions

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 20, 2006 2:05:45 AM

So I thought that I had my plan all finished. I'm building a HTPC and figured that instead of buying all new parts for the HTPC, I'd just upgrade my main system and use my older leftover parts instead.

My system so far is in my autosig below...

I like the Athlon 64 X2 4200 (looking to stay right around $200), simply because I've had good experience with the Athlon 64 3500 I've got. But see that the C2D E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz is basically the same price. (why does going under 2GHZ seem like a step back to me?)

I've read a lot of people saying that the C2D is the way to go right now but really the 4200 (or even the 4400 OEM version) seems like a much better upgrade path at this point.

Thoughts, suggestions, warnings?
October 20, 2006 2:10:46 AM

Oh yeah, forgot to note that I'm not really into overclocking very much. I bought parts last time based on their OC potential and never used them. Besides I figure most everything should be able to OC at least a little bit these days.

Thanks again for any suggestions.
October 20, 2006 2:17:40 AM

What I would do then, is experment overclocking what you have...
Then, depending on your results, either keep running your rig overclocked if satified, or pop in a dual core chip and overclock (something like an Opteron 175 ($229 @ NewEgg) will fairly easily and stabily clock to 2.6GHz)... that would put your performance around the speed of an entry level C2Duo.

As far as the fastest chip design (stock or overclocked) with the current ultimate in stablity overclocking, Intel's C2D chips have no competition from AMD...
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2006 2:43:31 AM

A 3800x2 will drop straight into your MSI mobo and can be OC'd to a stable 2.7Ghz, UK price is between £98 - £115.
October 20, 2006 2:48:39 AM

thats what im thinking. well i just ordered a x2 4400.
i now have a 3700 sandy core.

i have another 939 mobo, (new in the box) have had it for awhile.
i plan on using 2 of the 4 512 corsair xms that i have now for the
other 939 mobo and one 68gt (i currently have 2 in sli).

i will upgrade to a whole new sys next summer.

just wondering what your thoughts are for someone who already
has a couple of 939 setup,s :?:
October 20, 2006 2:48:57 AM

It seems intel took the same road as amd and decided that speed is not everything.A c2d will outperform a faster amd chip right now because of their new design.But in all honesty,an amd chip is not only cheaper,it still performs quite well.the 4200+or even the 4400+ is considered a good chip.The 3800+is also a good buy and it does over clock very nicely.I'm an amd fan as i've always been fine with them for gaming and other apps.Anyways,hard to say where to go from here as i've heard amd may be comiong out with something in a year or less to battle the c2d.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
October 20, 2006 3:28:41 AM

My current rig (see sig) is similar to yours. It will be a hand-me-down to my wife in 10-12 months (when I build new), and I'm wondering if I should pick up a dual core 939 before they are discontinued. She does some video editting and would really benefit from the speed increase. Wonder when they'll stop selling the 939 X2s?
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2006 3:37:25 AM

Quote:
My current rig (see sig) is similar to yours. It will be a hand-me-down to my wife in 10-12 months (when I build new), and I'm wondering if I should pick up a dual core 939 before they are discontinued. She does some video editting and would really benefit from the speed increase. Wonder when they'll stop selling the 939 X2s?

They've already begun... It's hard to find Athlon64 X2 3800+ Processors nowadays.
October 20, 2006 2:53:27 PM

Quote:
A 3800x2 will drop straight into your MSI mobo and can be OC'd to a stable 2.7Ghz, UK price is between £98 - £115.

I guess since I'm building the HTPC I'll end up buying a new MBD, MEM, VID and CPU any way so I'm not really limited to a 939 CPU.

What advantages would I see if I chose to go with a slightly more expensive C2D (or an AM2 for that matter)?

Wouldn't I be able to us DDR2 with a C2D or AM2 CPU? And is the DDR2 speed justify one or the other over a 939 CPU?

Just trying to wrap my head around the current offerings and what the advantages are. I definitely want to go with a dual core.

Thanks again for the thoughts.
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2006 10:22:08 PM

I’ve never built a HTPC but I have played with a couple of pre-built ones and they didn’t pack any major punch as I recall, so using a C2D for one would be overkill and a waste of a processor as far as I’m concerned, If you are going to get a C2D you would do better to relegate the old kit (MSI mobo + A64 3500, 6800gt etc) to the HTPC project, which it should do quite comfortably, and build a whole new rig from scratch and as C2D & AM2 both use DDR2 you will just have to decide whether to go expensive but faster (C2D) or cheaper but slower (AM2)
October 21, 2006 12:25:41 PM

Quote:
so using a C2D for one would be overkill and a waste of a processor as far as I’m concerned, If you are going to get a C2D you would do better to relegate the old kit (MSI mobo + A64 3500, 6800gt etc) to the HTPC project,

I totally agree. That was my plan all along.
October 21, 2006 3:07:17 PM

Quote:

They've already begun... It's hard to find Athlon64 X2 3800+ Processors nowadays.
Really?! I planned to go cheap dual core with my 939 after few months... should wait or make the move now before it's too late?!
October 21, 2006 3:34:39 PM

Yes.
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2006 3:41:46 PM

Dude, if you have the money now and can find one now then buy now, they are becoming scarcer by the minute and will very soon be as available as hen's teeth. :( 
October 21, 2006 3:57:23 PM

Strang from what i was reading AMD will continue to make some new chips for 939 for at least another 6 months. but hey i got a 4800+ and i dont regret it one bit unless im playing Unreal engine games :-/
October 21, 2006 6:31:04 PM

Quote:
Dude, if you have the money now and can find one now then buy now, they are becoming scarcer by the minute and will very soon be as available as hen's teeth. :( 

Thanks for the info man; I'll send a bundle of emails (with paaropriate links) to my friends in the USA to grab a X2 as ASAP. A bit concerned about money but...I'll pay later,they're friends, I am lucky to have some :D  . Thinking X2 3800+, 4200+ or Opty 165 :wink:
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2006 6:34:02 PM

Dunno where you're getting your info from, but whilst I'd like to believe you I keep seeing articles that suggest the 939 is being phased out sooner rather than later i.e before the end of this year, and as for any issues with Unreal engine games, thats down to your choice of graphics card I reckon, because when Nvidia bought 3DFX they by default got Open GL. :lol: 
October 21, 2006 6:40:10 PM

Get your 939 chips. Now. No joke.

I agree. The Unreal games have no problems working on most good 939 chips. The big limitations are the RAM and the GFX that you plan to run.
October 21, 2006 6:56:22 PM

Quote:
The big limitations are the RAM and the GFX that you plan to run.

They've always been; don't matter if you have an E6800 or a (modern) value CPU, fill your system with 4G of RAM, a good GPU and you won't hurt much performance. A good CPU is around $300 but 4Gigs of good RAM will set you for at least $500,... it's always been like that :cry: 
October 21, 2006 7:02:57 PM

All I want is for the RAM companies to have a price war like AMD and Intel are having.
October 21, 2006 7:31:58 PM

They're in equilibrium, while Intel fights to get it's former monopolist position and AMD for a stable share in the market. Think intel guys have been kind of stupid (luckily for us) starting this war in the attempt to kill their rival; they couldn't do it from the start, in the K5 and K6 days, thought they could do it now 8O ?! They are not accepting the current situation, the real status of AMD, at least they mention they have 'some competition'.
However it goes for the RAM, I bet the real cost is dirt low, kind of $20-30 /1G :evil: 
October 22, 2006 5:16:53 AM

Quote:
Dunno where you're getting your info from, but whilst I'd like to believe you I keep seeing articles that suggest the 939 is being phased out sooner rather than later i.e before the end of this year, and as for any issues with Unreal engine games, thats down to your choice of graphics card I reckon, because when Nvidia bought 3DFX they by default got Open GL. :lol: 

Could have changed dunno havent been looking into it anymore cuz im going AM2 next. The unreal thing has been documented by hte makers of Unreal even that there is a known issue with dual core and thier engine. I did a search on it and spent 3 hours reading the first page of results about this problem.
a b à CPUs
October 22, 2006 9:15:46 AM

I'm sorry mate I didn’t realise that there were any issues with Unreal and dual cores, it’s one of those “I aint got no problems, so wadya mean” types, I remember I a miserable affair with Unreal Awakening but that was a DX8/DX9c thing were I was on DX9c and the game would only seem to run on DX8, but I can’t say that I’ve had any issues so far with UT2004 and my current 3800x2 rig and 7900GT.
October 22, 2006 9:21:54 AM

Its no problem hell i dont even know what the real issue is 3 hours of reading i got sick of reading the same thing over and over and never really found out the underline issue. So i just downloaded this launcher and set it to use a single core. I figured there would have been a fix by now but hell i wouldnt know becuase i stopped looking into it.
!