Core 2 Sff pc for under a $1000

new257ps7.jpg

The main website is here: www.monarchcomputer.com
We'll take a look around there.

So the Hornet Pro $999 model didnt have a video card - just the onboard Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 video chip. The good news is that is a standard microATX system which gives you more flexibilty about what you can cram inside the case. Its actually larger than a true SFF case, but still smaller than a standard ATX mini tower style case. By the time I configured a resonable C2D system the price was up around $1250 or so.

Those prices have to be compared against the SFF Shuttles.
Shuttle G5 AMD 3800+ 2100g WCG Edition $799
Shuttle C2D E6400 P2 3700g $1500

To save some cash you could buy a SFF barebones kit from Monarch/Hornet or Shuttle then buy the other components and assemble them yourself.
Example: Shuttle SD37-P2 Case/975X motherboard / 400s PSU $400

How do you feel about building your own SFF PC?
What do you plan to use the system for?
Have an idea of what type of video card you'd want to stick in your SFF case?

Other SFF barebones kits from NewEgg

Rachel1234

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
No it has a ( kick butt video card ) Asus GeForece 7600 GS Silent 256MB DDR2/PCI-E/HDTV-Out

Most likely you cant affored to buy the horent Pro, but there is no sub.

Winner of the kick ass award twice.

Winner of the kick ass award twice.
Maybe. In 2004, or maybe 2003. But I can't find any current review of the Hornet on the Maximum PC "Kick Ass" website.

If you take the time to read some of the reviews that are still around out there you run across stuff like this:
Conclusion:
Like Bigfoot or the Gravedigger or another huge truck, the Hornet isn't pretty, it isn't quiet, it isn't small. However, given the right motherboard, the Hornet provides a lot more potential for power than their VW Beetle-like counterparts. While Monarch has put up a valient effort for their first entry into the SFF market, some fatal flaws prevent the Hornet from being a great product, although it is still quite a good one.
www.hardcoreware.net

As for price - the $999 model does not have a graphics card, only the motherboard video chip. The Myspace ad you posted links back to the Monarch Computers Hornet Pro website with a $1254.26 price. That package had the 7600 GS Silent video card.
hpc2d2ej5.jpg

Rachel1234

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
The Hornet was the very first sff that was micro atx. I know for a fact there is not a better sff out there. "Monarch hornet pro. "
See if you can find one person to say other wise.

I say we find some one to review both system and have them go head to head !! Like the wild west shoot out.