Sign in with
Your question

New? Mainboard Damaged

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
October 20, 2006 3:49:36 AM

When I buy New MB's, I have always ensured in the past that the box is sealed with either shrinkwrap or the special tab adheased to box lid/opening. However this one time i did not.

I said to the sales/storeman that the box is not sealed - it was not shrink wraped or/and had no sign of sealing tab on box lid. He assured me that it was new and this is the way they are boxed. I trusted him. :tongue: (dickhead)

8O :x When I got home and opened the box, I saw that one capacitor had been severely pushed over to one side, still looked OK but one of two wires had been either stretched or slightly pulled out of capacitor body.

The mainboard seems to work OK but maybe not 100% and when you buy something new, you expect it to be undamaged.

In future if box is not sealed in any way, I will not purchase that item, either ask for a sealed box or go to another store. (Maybe contents should be inspected before buying anyway as MB could be damaged during transport, since loose items are included in box).

Question: Have you found in the past when buying new MB's, that the box is always sealed in some way, and should it be in your opinion?

Thanks,

More about : mainboard damaged

a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2006 4:38:44 AM

Errrr yeah, and I always open it and check contents (just in case like) and if the salesperson don't like it then f**k'em, although being 6'4" and looking like I want to swing for them might help I suppose. :lol: 
October 20, 2006 4:55:12 AM

I dont trust any open mobo, processor, or ram @ Fry's (where i shop). Some people are pretty dishonest and return broken stuff. What if it was over clocked or something? Somebody buys them....
Related resources
October 28, 2006 3:43:00 AM

Update:
I did some ringing around stores and was told that not all New MB outside carton/boxs were sealed with tab, etc, but it must be sealed in some way.

Most common is a sealing tab on the anti-static bag that the MB is wrapped in. The tab must not show any damage at all, that will occur if bag has been previously opened.

So looks like i was ripped off :x with a used faulty MB.

Won't buy from them again, and they are a major PC retail outlet.
October 28, 2006 4:03:46 AM

bache,

Don't feel too bad. It is possible that the motherboard you bought was returned by a clueless customer that didn't know how to install it or bought the wrong board for the wrong CPU and a myriad of other reasons.

The point is that even if it had been opened, it does not necessarily mean that you got a bad board.

If you really feel uncomfortable that some things seem to have been bent more than they should be, I suggest you take it back to the store and tell them that you want to exchange it for the same item. They should honor that request.

Lastly, most boards will come in an antistatic bag that is "sealed" with a sticker. I have seen board, that I know were new that were simply in an antistatic bag without any "sealing" stickers at all. I know they were new because they were coming directly from the distributor's truck to the store owned by a friend of mine. Of course, I always checked what new toys were coming off the truck when I happened to be there.

HTH
October 28, 2006 4:05:22 AM

One of the benefits of living in a small town, I gotta get everything off newegg :D 

Edit: Unless I feel like a road trip to Denver...
October 30, 2006 12:33:35 AM

Quote:
bache,

Don't feel too bad. It is possible that the motherboard you bought was returned by a clueless customer that didn't know how to install it or bought the wrong board for the wrong CPU and a myriad of other reasons.

The point is that even if it had been opened, it does not necessarily mean that you got a bad board.

If you really feel uncomfortable that some things seem to have been bent more than they should be, I suggest you take it back to the store and tell them that you want to exchange it for the same item. They should honor that request.

Lastly, most boards will come in an antistatic bag that is "sealed" with a sticker. I have seen board, that I know were new that were simply in an antistatic bag without any "sealing" stickers at all. I know they were new because they were coming directly from the distributor's truck to the store owned by a friend of mine. Of course, I always checked what new toys were coming off the truck when I happened to be there.

HTH

The store will not accept returned MB's.

There policy is that I could have damaged the MB. And anyway the board works so they will not replace the bent capacitor even though it shows visible damage. It's a stupid business policy too me because I will not buy from them again. They will loose a lot of money in new purchases, more than a replacement new MB.

Maybe the capacitor is still working OK, but when you buy a new MB, you expect it to be 100%.

Luckily, I didn't buy the realy expensive ASUS boards :)  , I can afford to replace this one.

I will remove this MB and sell it, then buy another from a different store.

This time, I'll check it before I leave.

Once you leave the store it's too late, returns are not allowed with this type of fault.

Thanks,
October 30, 2006 12:35:53 AM

Not sure how it is "down under" but in America you can return anything if you try hard enough. Tell them you will report them to the BBB and start a word of mouth campaigne against them.
October 30, 2006 1:23:52 AM

Quote:
Not sure how it is "down under" but in America you can return anything if you try hard enough. Tell them you will report them to the BBB and start a word of mouth campaigne against them.

Companies down here are always loath to replace electronic parts.

I'll tell the store that in future, they should instal faulty/repaired components to there PC builds, not sales stock parts :D  He, He.

That way they can hide the parts from view :D 
October 30, 2006 5:17:30 AM

In that case, like you, I would no longer do business with them.

Too bad they have such customer unfriendly policies down there.
!